Wiki Posts
Search

AKA Tire Thread - Information

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Bell
I just got done running both sets through during our club race on Wednesday. I definitely noticed the modded rebars hit top speed much quicker than the stock rebars, consistently. I broke in the un-modded rebars first, and ran about 20 minutes on them afterwards, and did the same with the modded rebars, consistently better acceleration. I am hesitant to try cutting out some of the lugs on the tire further for better side bite, things are working too well.

These are definitely my new favorite tires as well, was able to bust out 5 or 6 20.8-20.9 fast laps at Outback Raceway...I've only ever been able to do this once before, unless I am just getting used to the car more and more, which is possible as well.
What mod did you do? Cutting the lugs for side bite seems simple and quick.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
What mod did you do? Cutting the lugs for side bite seems simple and quick.
Just removed a section of tire, and reglued it. Exactly like the previous posts regarding the mods.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Has anyone tried Soft Vektors for 2wd buggy front? How would they compare to Scrubs? I have green Rebars with JC foams in the rear. Would it be a good idea to combine it with front Rebars?

I was going to run the Vektors with BK-Bars.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beasty Shout
Has anyone tried Soft Vektors for 2wd buggy front? How would they compare to Scrubs? I have green Rebars with JC foams in the rear. Would it be a good idea to combine it with front Rebars?

I was going to run the Vektors with BK-Bars.
I have both but honestly other than visually I can't compare then really well as I haven't run them. Why do I have both? Well I bought a lot of used wheels and tires that had the scrubs in it so yes I basically have a duplicate set of fronts. A couple actually as I have 2 sets of barcode fronts as well.

Tread pattern wise (as I'm sure you noticed) they are very similar tires. I think the Vector will be more directional than the Scrubs due to the differences though.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, in my (limited) experience, it seems the scrubs work really well with any kind of bar pattern rear on our indoor clay. But, I already have 2 pairs of scrubs, I just wanted to try something new and the similarity of the Vektors kind of attracted me.

The only other fronts I have are pink taper pins and they seem to work pretty good. I was thinking maybe for my next pair of fronts, I should try a bar pattern like Rebars, barcodes or suburbs.

Since this is an AKA thread, I should ask Rebar or Vektor fronts?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beasty Shout
Yeah, in my (limited) experience, it seems the scrubs work really well with any kind of bar pattern rear on our indoor clay. But, I already have 2 pairs of scrubs, I just wanted to try something new and the similarity of the Vektors kind of attracted me.

The only other fronts I have are pink taper pins and they seem to work pretty good. I was thinking maybe for my next pair of fronts, I should try a bar pattern like Rebars, barcodes or suburbs.

Since this is an AKA thread, I should ask Rebar or Vektor fronts?
Why not one set of each so that you have options for different or changing track conditions? LOL

I don't know...I got the Bar Codes because the guy I chatted with on A-Main suggested them for the type of track I run...but I like AKA tires so I also got the Vektors based on the tire chart on the AKA site. I really want to get out and run them but the last two race days got rained out and I'm not close enough to the track to pop out for practice. Next weekend will be my first testing with the B4.1.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I really liked the Vektor rears, but not the fronts for our track. Granted there was some differences, I was using barcodes up front with stock foams, and soft vektors with new aka red foams...it could of been the stiffness that I could not stand at first. Since then though I have learned other ways to get the car to have more steering.

Right now I am going to run back and forth on bar codes and rebars. Not running at my home track until 2 weeks from now or so, but so far at Nor Cal hobbies, I am enjoying the rebars up front, but have changed things around on the car to get more steering, and it feels perfect on that track right now depending on rear tires.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

The lhs has rebar fronts so, I may just try that. I'm still trying to learn what this "consistency" is about when people talk about cc foams. I've never had an issue with open cell.

It seems with 2wd buggy, most people run cc rear open front. What would happen with cc front and open rear? Would I lose grip in the front because of the stiffness?

School me
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Anyone try their clay compound yet? The AKA site shows it's available and Amain has some of them in stock.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Tomczyk
Anyone try their clay compound yet? The AKA site shows it's available and Amain has some of them in stock.
I tried some clay compound rebars on the rear of my xxx-sct tires seem very loose not sure if they need to be broken in or not kinda disappointed. Usually run gold barcodes or clay rattlers and never have traction problems.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hkrob
I tried some clay compound rebars on the rear of my xxx-sct tires seem very loose not sure if they need to be broken in or not kinda disappointed. Usually run gold barcodes or clay rattlers and never have traction problems.
umm for the SC stuff theyre better than the super softs but they lack a bit out of the box...if you dont mind saucing them...they work awesome...
but just wait till mid to end of january and there new tire will be out
its really really good out of the box...

for buggy imo they work really well for me...but again all ive ever ran has been aka so its a huge gain going from super softs to clay
Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Is AKA going to port any of their other 1/8th designs to 1/10th buggy? Something with bigger pins than impacts like ibeams/crossbrace/cityblocks?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback hkrob, I take it this was at WCRC? Blamey-if you mean clay comp vs ss on a clay surface thats not much of a comparison. I will probably still try a set out and see how they are.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback hkrob, I take it this was at WCRC? Blamey-if you mean clay comp vs ss on a clay surface thats not much of a comparison. I will probably still try a set out and see how they are.
I ran a newer set of ss rebars I tried at wcrc,for the sc they were drivable but buggy they were very slick,I have a pair rebars with 80% tread for my sc,sauced them and they were stuck like glue at sdrc,I heard from other racers they work best when the pins are worn down alittle.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

which direction are you guys mounting the vektors ? Aka states that one way is more aggressive traction than the other but which is which ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.