Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKA Tire Thread - Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Whatever happened to developing a clay compound?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Any ideas on foam inserts for Impacts on a 2wd, med traction, wet outdoor hardpack clay with loose sand that clogs on top?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Aka reds. The JConcepts And1 foams are very good outdoors also.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've got some AKA red cc's, but they feel way too firm for outdoor med traction... No? Should I try them again?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was bored and tired of waitin for AKA premounts with yellow wheels...

Came out ok. Not sure how long the paint will last.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Tomczyk
Whatever happened to developing a clay compound?
I am proud to say AKA's clay compound is 99% there. The compound has been developed with only minor tweaks left to get the right durometer. Several compounds have been tested with the latest being the best. A LOT of R&D has gone into creating a clay compound that is very competitive in today's market. We have performed several blind test against our competitor's clay compounds in alike tread patterns and the AKA tire was consistently among the top ranks. Hopefully we will see the another test batch of material as early as this week. If this one gets the seal of approval it won't be long till the clay compound in the current tread patterns hit the market.

Originally Posted by silvalis
I've got some AKA red cc's, but they feel way too firm for outdoor med traction... No? Should I try them again?
Some find that the AKAs are a tad too hard for some conditions, but there are many ways to soften up the foam. My favorite method (and I find the easiest) is to cut a section from the middle of the inner flutes. Turn the foam inside-out and take a side cutters to cut out the center section of each flute. I will try to get a picture up soon to help with a visual aid. I have also seen people punch holes in various patterns with a leather punch. It just takes some personal testing to find out what you like best. Just remember, IMO, the biggest advantage to the AKA foams is its longevity. The foams will often outlast your tire tread unlike other brands that after a few runs is completely dead leaving you with a good tire and dead foam.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Any plans for 1/10 ST tires?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Pres, is the clay compound tread lasting longer than others as well? That's always a huge plus with AKA's.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
It's definitely on the drawing board, but there are a few other projects that are of hire priority. I can't give a time frame on when these may happen.

Originally Posted by IanWright
Hi Pres, is the clay compound tread lasting longer than others as well? That's always a huge plus with AKA's.
The wear on our test tires are far better than the other brands that were among the top ranks of our testing. Keep in mind a majority of these test were performed at West Coast in preparation of the Nationals. The wear characteristics may change as we adjust our compound to soften the tire a tad. Personally, what I am finding, even if the local tracks here in So. Cal. say they are clay tracks, clay tires are not always the best compound for that track. For example, take AIR or SDRC, popular choice of tires for both tracks are super soft Rebars or pink HB Beams. I did try our clay compound tire at AIR but with the heat and the track drying up very quickly, it wasn't the best choice. There are some things I have learned lately that might change that fact; maybe I will try get out there tomorrow or Wednesday to try it out.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stipres
There are some things I have learned lately that might change that fact; maybe I will try get out there tomorrow or Wednesday to try it out.
Rebars are my tire of choice at Airland... I have run pretty much everything there now, and I'm finding the Rebars giving the most consistent grip through the changing track. The slower wear is a really nice bonus as well.

I'm going to Airland tuesday for the evening, if you get down there it would be great to see you. It's been a while mate.

Last edited by IanWright; 08-14-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

deleted

Last edited by t8rtot; 08-14-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by stipres
There has been a lot of R&D in the past several months to get the most out of the Rebars and to apply the knowledge learned in future tread designs. During these test, several of us have trimmed and cut the Rebars in many different ways. I wanted to share a couple of things that I personally believe helps get a lot more side bite and overall performance.

The radial bars on the outer edges have been cut almost every different thinkable way to get more side bite. I actually found that if you simply cut away the bars that are painted silver (see picture below) you should feel a big difference. I have had several different drivers try the tires this way and they all agreed it helped a lot. My guess is that it allows the inner radial bar to actually get more traction when slipping side-to-side.

Another "mod" a lot of us feel that helps overall performance it cutting away a section of the tire and gluing the tire back together. Good'ole AKA glue keeps the tire in one piece so no worries there. This shrinks the tire a little, reducing tire wrap and ballooning under acceleration. This may not work on all tracks but we normally do this at all indoor clay tracks. Credit for this find goes out to Derek Frutani from Kyosho. Here are some pics to hopefully clarify.

Like any other mod, it might not work for some. Cut away at your own risk
when doing this mod, are you guys using the aka red foams or others like JC for example and how does it effect the tire??

with the foam more compact, i assume the tire is now firmer?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot
when doing this mod, are you guys using the aka red foams or others like JC for example and how does it effect the tire??

with the foam more compact, i assume the tire is now firmer?
I just got done running both sets through during our club race on Wednesday. I definitely noticed the modded rebars hit top speed much quicker than the stock rebars, consistently. I broke in the un-modded rebars first, and ran about 20 minutes on them afterwards, and did the same with the modded rebars, consistently better acceleration. I am hesitant to try cutting out some of the lugs on the tire further for better side bite, things are working too well.

These are definitely my new favorite tires as well, was able to bust out 5 or 6 20.8-20.9 fast laps at Outback Raceway...I've only ever been able to do this once before, unless I am just getting used to the car more and more, which is possible as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.