Wiki Posts
Search

AKA Tire Thread - Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Not sure of a better way to ask this, so:

What would be the AKA equivalent to a barcode in 10th buggy. Eg if Barcodes were the jconcepts tire of choice at a track, what would the AKA guys be running?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Not sure of a better way to ask this, so:

What would be the AKA equivalent to a barcode in 10th buggy. Eg if Barcodes were the jconcepts tire of choice at a track, what would the AKA guys be running?
Technically I would say the Rebar is a direct competitor to the barcodes and PL Suburbs. Although the Vektor is normally favored over the Rebars here at our local tracks of indoor clay. The Vektor is really a great tire, you get the best of both worlds. They are a directional tire so if you need a little more rear traction, run the tires with the angled bars going toward the center. If you are looking to free up the rear around the corners, run the angled bars going outward.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I really liked my Soft Vectors this past weekend. Didn't really get a chance to put them to full potential because of other issues with the car.

I also got a set or SS Vectors mounted Monday that I will be able to test out this coming Saturday.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default Rebar tire tuning

There has been a lot of R&D in the past several months to get the most out of the Rebars and to apply the knowledge learned in future tread designs. During these test, several of us have trimmed and cut the Rebars in many different ways. I wanted to share a couple of things that I personally believe helps get a lot more side bite and overall performance.

The radial bars on the outer edges have been cut almost every different thinkable way to get more side bite. I actually found that if you simply cut away the bars that are painted silver (see picture below) you should feel a big difference. I have had several different drivers try the tires this way and they all agreed it helped a lot. My guess is that it allows the inner radial bar to actually get more traction when slipping side-to-side.

Another "mod" a lot of us feel that helps overall performance it cutting away a section of the tire and gluing the tire back together. Good'ole AKA glue keeps the tire in one piece so no worries there. This shrinks the tire a little, reducing tire wrap and ballooning under acceleration. This may not work on all tracks but we normally do this at all indoor clay tracks. Credit for this find goes out to Derek Frutani from Kyosho. Here are some pics to hopefully clarify.

Like any other mod, it might not work for some. Cut away at your own risk
Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks Pres for the tire mod tutorial! I have a ton of tires from the roar nats that I will be testing with these mods.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Buckland
Any timetable determined for the clay compound?

Not yet...But its getting close! There's another test batch coming that we'll be trying out very soon.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default CLAY???

Alright guys, it's been over a month since this last post on ETA of the Clay Compund. I love AKA tires, but at my local track you must run a clay compound to get optimum traction. I've had to switch over to Panther tires. Is there an update?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

with the talk of the revival of stadium truck, will aka start making stadium truck tires/inserts/premounts?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by researchnut08
Alright guys, it's been over a month since this last post on ETA of the Clay Compund. I love AKA tires, but at my local track you must run a clay compound to get optimum traction. I've had to switch over to Panther tires. Is there an update?
Still working on Clay compounds. getting it narrowed down. It should be very soon.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
with the talk of the revival of stadium truck, will aka start making stadium truck tires/inserts/premounts?
+1
Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
+2
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stipres
There has been a lot of R&D in the past several months to get the most out of the Rebars and to apply the knowledge learned in future tread designs. During these test, several of us have trimmed and cut the Rebars in many different ways. I wanted to share a couple of things that I personally believe helps get a lot more side bite and overall performance.

The radial bars on the outer edges have been cut almost every different thinkable way to get more side bite. I actually found that if you simply cut away the bars that are painted silver (see picture below) you should feel a big difference. I have had several different drivers try the tires this way and they all agreed it helped a lot. My guess is that it allows the inner radial bar to actually get more traction when slipping side-to-side.

Another "mod" a lot of us feel that helps overall performance it cutting away a section of the tire and gluing the tire back together. Good'ole AKA glue keeps the tire in one piece so no worries there. This shrinks the tire a little, reducing tire wrap and ballooning under acceleration. This may not work on all tracks but we normally do this at all indoor clay tracks. Credit for this find goes out to Derek Frutani from Kyosho. Here are some pics to hopefully clarify.

Tried this mod last weekend and it definetly adds sidebite to the tire. Worked really well.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
+2
+3
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Would also love to see some ST tires!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stipres
been doing this mod since the mid 90's mostly for stock classes, decreases the rotating mass by tons so the car accelerates quicker as well as bringing the mass slightly closer to center, an uncommon technique in balancing also helps ton in stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.