Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tamiya DF-03 type

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default EZRun Size

The EZRUN ESC is Size: 31.5mm(L) * 27.5mm(W) * 24mm(H).

According to one ebay seller.

Im at work so cant confirm those sizes.

The Xenon Chasis is pretty damn cool but unfortunately I cannot find any way to fit my EZRun motor. The solder tabs for the wires mean it can only go in one way and then the motor mounting screws don't line up.

Someone else in the topic mentioned that they know someone who has fitted it into a stock plastic chasis, so looks like thats my next job, rebuilding onto the plastic.

Hopefully have that done by this weekend.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Graeme
Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ezrun ESC's fit perfectly. Lots of room to spare.
Some pics of my completed DF03MS.
Taken right after a speed run, hit 90kmph, thats 50miles an hour......
Using 4300KV ezrun and 35A esc, Dirthawg proline tyres, 3S 2200mah battery from my chopper.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default EZRun

Hi Duck,

I noticed that your EZrun is the 9T, which has the fins, and the leads attached with connectors, mines is the 8.5t which doesnt have the fins, and has the solder tabs sticking out the side
Its the 2nd one on this page http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=426

I hope I can get it to fit,

Will find out soon.

Graeme
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Duck, I was just wondering what gearing you were using for that speed run.

Cheers Val
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Yeh, my friend has the 8.5T 4000KV ezrun motor. his fit sin the plastic chassis only one way though.

Anyhow i just noticed tehres a slight gapa nd slight play in my rear shock tower... then looked further down checked the screws, all tight.... it seems this talk about rear shock tower brace, I see where u guys are getting at... I've got lsight deformaiton and hair line stress marks on the rear upper gear box part which shock tower screws into...

EDIT:
I'm using 82 Spurr and 26 pinion.
With 4300KV motor and a 2200mah 11.1V 25C constant 30C burst lipo.
The burst is highly noticeable. At max throttle the car easily gets to 90kmph (initial burst), but then slows down to about 75-80kmph (stick at max) and then suddenly would burst again some time later back to 80+kmph, think around 10-15 secs. not sure cause its intense stuff following it in a real car, the df03 gets really jittery, and you MUST run some toe in at those speeds. The battery lasts about 10mins at these speeds constant.

EDIT2:
I also just went crazy and bought out all the A parts tree over at vellrip.com (3 sets) Costs me $58AUD posted. T___T
But as long as my buggy can run!

Last edited by Forgetful_Duck; 05-21-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Contributing to the Shock tower brace.

I thinkt he easiest thign to try, which i Will be trying.
is Cutting some piece of aluminium, small pieces, and attaching it to the rear side of the car.
The top 2 holes where the Rear diff cover screw goes in, I'll use slightly longer screws to accoutn for the extra thickness of the Alu piece, then the other end screw it into one of the many.... holes near the rear camber ball socket.
This i think will prevent movement of the rear tower from pulling up and bending. beucase mine has a crack and the play is such that the tower isnt straight anymore in respect to the rear diff cover. I'll let u guys know how it goes...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Found some Scrap Aluminium 1mm thick, cut some with the hack saw and cutters, measured and drilled 2 3mm holes 10mm apart
Found some 2x 3.2mm screws and
2 hours and 1 Bleeding finger later....
BRACE COMPLETE!

There is now No play at all from the shock tower, can't move it back and forth along the bottom joint. Stiff as.....

Sorry about the flash, but the other sid eis the same thing u see on the right.

I made this completely in my room.... don't have a work shed or bench vice... hence when i was dirllign the hole sin the aluminium i was using my fingers to hold it down, then the drill piece gripped the work and sent the piece of alumnium under my finger nail.... it hurts....
now to vaccum the carpet.... T___T
Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default It Fits

Good News,

Took the rear gearbox of the Xenon Chasis, and fitted it to the stock plastic chasis, the EZ-Run fits the solder tabs are angled to the front but it fits, and I have some room to adjust for meshing the spur to the pinion.

Woohooo

Only now I dont have all the rigt screws for fitting everything to the plastic chasis, so have to wait my newley ordered screw set before I can get everything moved over.

Shouldnt be too big a job.

Im getting excited now to see how fast it goes.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Told ya.
Anyhow the 8.5T and 60A esc form ezrun.

My before mentioned friend who has this set. well he's been ahving some problems.
First off his ESC died in a week. A little thingy burnt out on the circuit board, he tested it. hes gone and bought the v2 version of the smae ESC.

Now the motor.... whenever if uses it on the 60A and in the df03, it cogs. And glitches. He'll get random bursts of speed and power and sometimes dead slow and chuggy. It's like the timing is off... hes tried every setting imaginable on the program card, and while at speed the car will still chug, slow and fast slow and fast, uncontrollably.
So i gave him a spare 4300KV 9T motor to test with... works perfectly...
Then i took his 8.5T 4000KV motor and plunked it into my DF02 on a 35A esc.. Works perfectly too... So then.. whats the deal... we're both scratching our heads.

EDIT: also when the motor starts chugging (speeeds up and speeds down randomly), The steering servo also randomly pulses left or right randomly, outside user control.
Am radio glitch? But then why does the 9T work fine....
Old 05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Yep Duck you Did

Sounds weird with the issues you guys are having.

Ill let you know how mine goes once I get thescrews and get it built.

I'm tempted to drop the EZRun in my DF02 just now to see how it goes.

But my sons racing it this weekend and hes pretty bad with a Sport Tuned Tamiya RS540 (broke 2 sets of front suspension in 20 minutes including changing over times) Dont think I can afford the parts for him to run it brushless

Cheers for the help guys.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The brace that Iggy made also uses the 4 screws just above "Tamiya" he filed off the cup to fit the brace on flat.

| _______ |
| 0 | | 0 |
|___| |__|

tommy, I'll check on the boomerrang price here and let you know how much for shipping...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That just didn't work, so much for my binary drawing...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Duck,

I think I'm going to have to copy that brace you made there it looks like it may solve my problem with it breaking all the time.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

I couldn't find any decent sized machine screws forthe shcok tower hole, so i used some big PC screws, the stuff u get when u buy a new PC case. Got plenty lying around. it's self taping but has a lot more turns per mm than what the tamiya ones come in, also its bigger than 3mm, around 3.2mm so its a snug fit. Also doesnt poke out the otherside, fits perfectly.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Some excellent pictures! Yes, that rear brace definitely looks like the solution. I'm going to have to borrow that idea on mine!

Thanks for the picture of the EZRUN system. I think I might give that a try, it's pretty compact! Didn't think it was that compact...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.