Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tamiya DF-03 type

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

mj, that's great to hear that you got your DF-03 running, in spite of the setback from the CC unit.

While I was building (or rebuilding) my Df-03 with the plastic chassis, I was debating on whether I should stick my Novak GTX in there since it has a smaller footprint. There's really nothing wrong with brushed motors, they are still a viable option, so long as you stick with cheapo machine-wound motors, it shouldn't cost too much...

With the 3Racing carbon chassis, things were easier to fit on, since I didn't have the side-walls to deal with. The stock chassis is a challenge, the mamba max fit in ok so long as you stand it upright with the heatsink pointing outwards and the terminal section pointing up, but it's still kinda big...

The receiver, that's another story. I have the Airtronics synthesized receiver that came with the MX-3S radio, which is the smaller of the two that I have for the system (the other is the Novak XXXtra synthesized receiver) and I still had a hard time fitting it into the chassis. I just bought a MX-3 FHSS2 radio, which seems like it comes with a smaller receiver, so I'm going to see how that receiver fits into the DF-03 tub...

Honestly, I just don't understand why aftermarket receivers have to come with 5 channels. I wish someone would just make a dedicated 2 channel receiver for 90% of the Joes out there that doesn't require a third channel for gear shifting or turning on lights or other junk...

Regarding the Fire Dragon body, I'm going to wait on the second one. The first one is painted like the box art, so I'm going to trim that correctly along the lines for the actual Fire Dragon buggy. The new body that will come with the Fire Dragon kit itself, I'm going to paint it black. I'm going to mask the windows and the "bump" area towards the rear and paint the "bump" section with the PS-2 Red. Rest of it, I'm going to paint it black (PS-5) and use that for my DF-03... I think the DF-03 should have an "evil" Dragon body, which will be the black Fire Dragon body with the bumps of red. Will post some pics when I receive the kit and the painting is finished.

If the PS-5 is going to be anything like the PS-2, I think it will look cool...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The DF-03 does have "room" issues for ESC and receivers and transponders.

I had to untape my receiver to plug in the transponder...

I think the minimum on rec'r should be 2 channel and one batt in/out and that should be the standard.

I was quite a bit slower with the super gripper wheels rather than the DF03, but what I sacrificed in speed, the car made up in handling. The driver can also stay on the track at slower speeds...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i have the same radio as you tom, and its a stretch to get all the stuff in there, i really wish there was more room in this thing for the elecs. they really didnt think about that when the designed the thing. My RX sits sidways with the plugs facing in. when the MM is in there and all those wires, its really hard just the body to go down, when i get my MM back, i might see about cutting some of the wires... i hate to do that though...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

what others rim and tyre will fit the DF03? I am using tamiya which I find the front does not grip well.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

I just bought myself an MX-3 FHSS2... All I have to say is WOW. The receiver that came with this unit is tiiiiiiiiny... I'm going to buy a bunch of extra receivers for the unit and put it into all my cars... I think this is the radio set that I've been waiting for all my life, the receiver is so tiny, it will have no problem fitting into the DF-03...

Charles, welcome to the DF-03 thread! Always nice to see the fan base for this buggy grow. Any 2.2" 4wd buggy tread will fit the DF-03 rims. You don't have to use the Tamiya treads if you don't want. The rears will accept any 2.2" Buggy treads...

I have the Proline Holeshot LP set on my DF-03 rims currently...

Proline Holeshot LP 4WD Buggy M3 for the fronts (2.2")

Proline Holeshot LP Buggy M3 for the rears (2.2")

The 4wd fronts are in a category all on its own. The rears are the same size and width as the 2wd buggies, such as the B4, XXX-CR, Kyosho RB5, etc...

Ofcourse since there is the rally version of the DF-03 (DF-03RA) out now, I'm speaking about the BUGGY version. I have no idea what the rally wheel/tire is. I think our fellow DF-03 resident "streetracer" knows...

What is the condition of the surface that you run on?

Generally speaking, Holeshots works the best on hard-packed, high-grip clay (grooved condition)

Jconcept's DoubleDees comes very very close to the grip of the Holeshots, but they last much much longer (I go through holeshots a lot).

The ultimate compromise tire that everyone is raving about for 4wd is Jconcept's Goosebumps. I heard that they work in a semi-loose condition, but when you run them on high grip, the treads gets more and more grippier (is that a word?) as it wears down...

None of the Losi 4wd have ever worked for me, but then again, I've been running on the same dirt for years now. Hell, the new local track even hauled the dirt from the old track that closed down, so it's still the same dirt!

Last edited by tom_chang79; 04-08-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, here is my DI and I'm feeling slightly inadequate/jealous when compared to the other DI's, namely Toms and MJs. Everyone elses seem to be so clean and bling whereas mine is covered in mud and held together with duct tape.

I've just re-fitted the three racing chassis after dremeling it to fit my lipos. I looked at shimming it but it required more modification so I opted for trimming some of the mounts and I still need to remove some carbon from around the front body posts to allow access to the battery outputs. Otherwise the lipos now fit very well with little movement within the battery compartment.

I didn't race the DI in the end as I couldn't face anymore repairs to the diff and casing so as soon as my a-tree parts arrive I'll get it back on the track.

I omitted the body shell from the picture because it's getting to the stage where it too needs replacing so I'm watching with interest Tom's Fire Dragon DI conversion.

The space on the three chassis is massive compared with the bathtub but I quite liked the secure fit of the bathtub especially with my Losi esc. When the esc is turned on its side it fits snugly without restricting the fan although the fans on the Losi escs are pathetic and fall off easily with the slighest knock-I've knackered three already.

I have also had problems selecting the right tires and the track I race at has changed alot in the space of a few weeks making selection even harder. It has been very muddy with standing water for most of my limited racing experience and now with Summer on the way it has dried out leaving heavily rutted hard packed clay. I've got some stock tires on order so I'll see how they fare and maybe try Tom's suggestions-thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-di1.jpg  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

well, i was at the track last night, and i am still getting used to off road driving, its a bit different than onroad!

the car is pretty good now. i got some better settings all the way around. 40 wt oil in all 4 shocks. and finally got the links all the right lengths.

the thing that is making this thing so hard to drive is the darn solid read diff, the thing spins out all the time in the corners if power is applied. i have to be pretty gentle around the track to keep from spinning out on most corners.

the 13t brushed motor did fine, i might stick with it for a while as i am still learning to drive on this style of track.

i didnt break anything the whole time i was out there, and made it through three full battery packs. i cant wait until i can get the right diff in the rear and really see how this thing handles.

it did pretty well in the air. as far as i can tell it was very stable, and took throttle inputs well. i lawn darted it on the triple a couple time trying to clear it. just didnt have enough to make that jump, because i couldnt carry any speed into the ramp. stupid diff.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

The DF-03ra takes any regular TC wheel. Tires can be paired with any rally style(make sure it fits the wheel, 24mm or 26mm, I htink most are 26?) And you can put onroad tires if you run strictly on pavement or dust covered pavement.

Tom. I saw you mention somethign about TC wheels on the DF right? Those are the super RS4 wheels and tires. The are the same height(or about the same height) as buggy wheels and have a small selection of onroad and rally tires. I think you can fit buggy tires on there as well but they might look a little funny cause I think our rear wheels are 40mm whereas the rs4s are 35mm... I have seen dirt hawgs on them before though. I think somewhere on this forum actually?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks Tom ,mine is a DF03 MS.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

well i got my new 2.5mm bolts from Jason on ebay. not bad shipping time from HK at all.

i have 6 of them now!! rebuilt the diff with balls, so this thing should be night and day now. cant wait to get it on the track again.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

That' great news Mj, don't know why the previous owner wanted to lock up the diff. A locked diff is only useful in rock crawling IMO...

Let her rip and tell us how you like it!

I just received the new TBR bumper/skid plate. Gonna bolt it on. I also received my Fire Dragon kit so I'm going to start masking off the body that came with that kit and paint it with the PS-5 Tamiya Color Black spray paint that I bought today...

I also got an SC10 kit that is just sitting here. Too many toys, so little time...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Looks Good!

I am going to get one of these. Just what is needed for the stock chassis.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RC-Bumper-Br...4.c0.m14.l1262
I had emailed them about making their original bumper longer, and it looks like they have listened. This should help the durability a lot.
Larry.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Larry, that's the bumper that I've been posting about. I just received mine and it fits very nicely... The skid portion of the bumper is VERY thick so it should last a long time. If it doesn't, TBR warrants these for life! So if you break it, they'll send you a new one.

This is the 3rd time I bought bumepers from them. I retired my "grumpy" bumper on my DF-03 and replaced it with this. Anytime I broke one, I just sent them pics of the broken pieces and Rich and Andrea from TBR is really good about sending a replacement.

What's funny was, I asked Rich, the guy who runs TBR, to make this kind of bumper a couple of weeks ago, and he replied that he made one a few days before I sent him that email!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

i love my TBR bumpers, dont know how i could ever break one either.

Tom: how is the body coming along?

here are some pics of mine. i have the temporary motor and ESC installed. nice cheap duratrax streak! it works well though.
i also got a new wing!, and have the CF bumper on the front. also got the ball diff installed!! cant wait to try it out wednesday.!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice looking DF MJ, thats what I like about this thread it gives others the opportunity to see what potential there is for the DF-03. If I could get mine looking half as raceworthy as yours I would be a happy chap.

I have also ordered a TBR bumper and with free shipping to the UK the total price is really good and will easily pay for itself in protecting the front arms and other components.

I've received the new chassis and A-tree parts and will get my DF up and racing soon. Annoyingly my uprated differential is the most solid part on my car at present with everything else failing or falling apart including my speed controllers-expensive.

Good news though, Castle have repaired/replaced my Monster Max without any quibbles and whilst it will never go in the DF-03 I have a Mamba Max that I'm going to try out instead of the losi Xcelorin esc. My Xcelorin escs are all playing up and seem to be really temperamental whilst the Mamba is performing flawlessly in my CRT.5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.