Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

not easy when you have been wanting to beat people of higher driving skills than you. yeah, i finally calmed down about about 2 hours or so. yup, there is always tonight.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I know how it feels! Sounds like you were kicking butt though so keep it up!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sorry to make a comment about the rack alternative. I was not saying the kit rack was perfect, or the solution wasnt an improvement. My experience has been, forces always find the weakness and make it fail.

Questions to the racers who are having continuous failures of the kit rack...

Where exactly is the crack occuring? Ball Stud location?
Are you running bushing or bearings?
Is your servo saver tight or loose?
Whats the ambient temperature at the track your racing?

I am wondering if temperature is a factor. When Xray first release the XB8, we had issues in the fall/winter with the A Arms becoming brittle in lower temperatures. A change in the composition of the materials solved that problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Prophet

The ear pops off with the balls stud in tact.

The issue is when you get a knife edge landing the forces of the wheel being pushed back into the car is too much and the part fails. IT usually fails with a couple other parts as well though. The front bulkhead might crack and this will transfer load into the steering rod and pop the rack. I don't think I have broken a rack all by itself yet. I think I have gone through three of them. All pretty harsh hits.

Sevo saver set to kit setting. Temps not too cold. (not as cold as you are thinking) honestly I think an alum front bulkhead would fix the issue but I may be full of it. Not sure.

As for arguing with Turbo about chasing loads through parts I already had that argument with him.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If someone will post the parts list and #'s for the midarm rear end on the rb5 I will get it posted on the faq page of my site.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell
If someone will post the parts list and #'s for the midarm rear end on the rb5 I will get it posted on the faq page of my site.

LA243 Rear Middle Suspension Arm
LA232 Universal Swing Shaft 65.5 (use the dogbone/not the axle-too narrow)
W5183-02 Shock Shaft (L) (needed to run the middle and outer hole on arm)
Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Prophet

DANG. Beat me to it.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper
I know how it feels! Sounds like you were kicking butt though so keep it up!
yes i was. i have been taunted for the last few months cause i'm the only running in stock with a kyosho and the other guy runs in mod. So yes, they use to woop my butt all the time. but, i had some help from Greg Hodapp who came for a weekend of racing and learned alot and rebuilt my car and set it up the way he had his when i ran his for a few laps. i thought my car was garbage at the time and really needed some help so i broke it down and rebuilt. now the car runs like a champ and all the guys who use to lap me are now being lapped by me
Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

I have broken racks in the winter inside at the track, not to heated. inside in the summer hot and humid. also broke them at vineland in the summer outdoor. sign me up for the aluminum rack, it and the shock caps are the only parts i really break. i think i broke a pivot block once.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JDCrow
Sorry to make a comment about the rack alternative. I was not saying the kit rack was perfect, or the solution wasnt an improvement. My experience has been, forces always find the weakness and make it fail.

Questions to the racers who are having continuous failures of the kit rack...

Where exactly is the crack occuring? Ball Stud location?
Are you running bushing or bearings?
Is your servo saver tight or loose?
Whats the ambient temperature at the track your racing?

I am wondering if temperature is a factor. When Xray first release the XB8, we had issues in the fall/winter with the A Arms becoming brittle in lower temperatures. A change in the composition of the materials solved that problem.
Well as for the temp goes i have broken racks in summer and winter. i did find that my servo saver was loose at one point of time. i have taken the chance and make sure that it is tightened now. the last few breaks have come from the outer corner of the ball stud to about half way or so of the rack. if i remember i will take a pic of it when i get home and post it tonite.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I have broken racks in the winter inside at the track, not to heated. inside in the summer hot and humid. also broke them at vineland in the summer outdoor. sign me up for the aluminum rack, it and the shock caps are the only parts i really break. i think i broke a pivot block once.
I completely agree with you. sign me up for the racks and shock caps as well. I have broken steering racks (numerous), rear towers(2), pivot block(2), T-Plate (i was trying to get more anti-squat out of it and it does work but just cracks really easy if hit on the top of a jump or something), rear bulkhead, shock caps (3), ball studs and ball cups. that's about it. still happy with it
Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Wow, what are you guys doing to break all these parts?!?! I've only broken a few rear hubs, rear shock tower and a T plate (one shock cap when someone stepped on my car).
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Wow, what are you guys doing to break all these parts?!?! I've only broken a few rear hubs, rear shock tower and a T plate (one shock cap when someone stepped on my car).
let me see where to start. New to the sport was driving a Duratrax ST and BX prior. Moved into stock class got faster but still didn't have a good setup on the car so it was constantly out of control hitting the pipes and walls.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

3 racks and 2 shock caps and one pivot blaock aint to bad for 7-8 months of driving the car. Vineland was a rough track and ate up a rack, shock caps have happened from other cars and me. 1 pivot block from hitting the wall coming down the straight. not much breakage. with the new rack and my new towers i should be good to go. i think i broke a rear shock tower when someone landed on my car off a jump.....hacks....
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I've been running my RB5 since October and have only broken a rear hub. *knocks furiously on wooden desk*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.