Search
Like Tree8Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Yea for being the most expensive 2wd off road kit it sure does have a cheesy motor plate.
I don't know what you hobby shops charge, but around here a CR and FTB4 go for 249$, thats the same price as the RB5. I get your point, just trying to point out that it isn't the most expensive ( around here at least ).
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BenEllis
I don't know what you hobby shops charge, but around here a CR and FTB4 go for 249$, thats the same price as the RB5. I get your point, just trying to point out that it isn't the most expensive ( around here at least ).
+1

Yea you might find the B4 for about 210-220, and the XXX for aroud 220, but you can also find the RB5 for around 220 as well if you look in the right places (although you might have to go to an on-line store). Really the RB5 is priced the same as the other 2 cars as of now (other cars that are only on a pre-order list don't count).
Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default losi springs

Mafia- you can use losi springs but only the 2.75 length not the 2.5 I run losi yellows on the rear of my car I just run the losi spring cup on the bottom. The yellow white and grey rears are 2.75 the pink and stiffer are 2.5 they are not long enough I dont know how they are running them.
later jeremy
Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The 2.75 losi springs are longer since you have to preload them so much. On my old losi I did not need to adjust the colars when going from pink to yellow. Have you tried the 2.5 springs?

I like the kyosho springs but I do understand they are hard to find. I have been acumulating them as they get in stock!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default motor plate

the best way to keep your stock motor plate from stripping is to loctite the tranny screws in. attach the motor plate normally and then back each screw out one at a time, apply loctite in the motor plate re tighten the screw and wipe the excess loctite off with a rag. fill each screw hole with a good amount of loctite and make the screws flush with the motor plate.

i still have my stock plate on since i bought the car without issues.

hope this helps,make sure to use blue loctite and not the red.

joe
Old 11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I bought mine built, but new...the first one dies an ugly death. The second one was loc-tited and two of them still came loose.

I'm not really convinced that they're backing out. I think the plate is soft and they're ripping out. When the screw is "loose", the hole is also stripped. A screw that backs out doesn't kill the threads on the way out.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BenEllis
where i am b4's are 200 and cr's are somewhere in the middle. Kyosho's have the most expensive parts, That's why i feel its the most expensive.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I bought mine built, but new...the first one dies an ugly death. The second one was loc-tited and two of them still came loose.

I'm not really convinced that they're backing out. I think the plate is soft and they're ripping out. When the screw is "loose", the hole is also stripped. A screw that backs out doesn't kill the threads on the way out.
Mine the threads ripped out. Ive got a motor plate made in dallas on the way that should be alot better.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Default losi springs

Casper- I did try the losi 2.5 but they were just to short to get the preload. But I just got a shipment of springs from a-main today so no more Losi springs for me.
later Jeremy
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

perhaps this can be an alternative motor plate?

made by Cliff RC in Japan.

they make a few other interesting RB5 parts:

Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I like the front bulkhead.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

yeah man sign me up for the bulkhead and motor plate!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Default me too

I second what Mafia said.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i just want the pivot block.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Kyosho pricing in europe and Losi springs

pricing

i am from europe and was one of the first RB5 buyers. unluckily the car is not very popular since k's pricing strategy in europe is catastrophic (im am not familiar with uk prices but refer to europe mainland prices). the cheapest offer i found was from a belgium company at about 250 euros (multiply by 1.4 for US$ equivalent) at very limited quantity. generally the price for the RB5 is about 10% above B4FT at about 299 euros - and you'll still have to invest at minimum in turnbuckles and maybe some other goodies.

yet these are just basic cost. when we talk about spare partes we really talk about money. examples: springs losi average €3 - springs kyosho rear €10,90; diff balls have been excessively discussed in this forum, generally triple the price of competitors' items.

availability is ok (2 weeks) if you order with kyosho germany directly - at least in austria no shop stocks parts for the RB5... and since very few drive the RB5 your own stock has to be accordingly fitted - $$$$$$$

for all of the above (and the missing team support in europe) kyosho does not have a good reputation with the (off-road) clubs resulting only in minor interest in a competitive car.

losi springs

i have the complete range of losi rear springs (also most kyosho). at the end of the day i prefer the losi spring range: orange 2,9; red 2,6; pink 2,3. i use mostly red. diameter of the spring is a little larger but i never experienced problems with leaving all other parts of the damper original. the length of the springs (actually it is not a problem of the spring but a problem of the damper cylinder since the threading has just simply been made too short) is an issue. i solved it the same way as the japanese guy at the worlds (picture was shown somewhere earlier in this thread) using 2 knurled nuts on top of each other - so basically just artificially elongating the non-existent threading part number: FM-364BL

front i use the recommended orange, dark yellow, yellow combination. mostly dark yellow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.