Search
Like Tree8Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mafiaracers

he was saying that 30 degrees will make the car dive into the corner harder and have more turn-in whereas the 25 degrees will take away some of that initial bite and give more exit cornering ability
Agreed, I always run 25 degrees now as it helps to tame the initial turn-in of the car whilst increasing on-power steering.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

More caster will give you more steering in high-speed corners, where there is more chassis roll, and also while turning in. It will also make the car more stable in rough conditions, and the car's straight-line stability will also be improved. Less caster will give you more steering in low-speed corners, and less turn-in.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
More caster will give you more steering in high-speed corners, where there is more chassis roll, and also while turning in. It will also make the car more stable in rough conditions, and the car's straight-line stability will also be improved. Less caster will give you more steering in low-speed corners, and less turn-in.
This is in my opinion the better explaination. The effects of caster are relative to speed and lateral load. Basically more caster is more effective in faster corners, while less caster is effective in slow corners.
I've always tried to use the least amount of caster I can, and use other means (throttle) to work the fast stuff.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i know this on probally posted on here but.....

does anyone have the part number for the new motor plate???

also what is the stock spur gear? 78 or 76
Old 09-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys,

I know there are lots of pages of info, but could someone give me a quick list of what I would need to get setup with this buggy? Things like common broken parts, tuning options and Losi or AE parts that are used as an improvement over stock.

I am thinking of switching over from my X-6. The buggy was great until I switched to Lipo's. Since the X-6 is designed to have lipo's lay across the chassis and all the other buggies would have the lipo brick lay along the vertical line, I think that is the better layout. I can feel how the X-6 seems to wallow through turns now. Since I have Kyosho 1/8 buggy and truggy, I wanted to stay within the family.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
Guys,

I know there are lots of pages of info, but could someone give me a quick list of what I would need to get setup with this buggy? Things like common broken parts, tuning options and Losi or AE parts that are used as an improvement over stock.

I am thinking of switching over from my X-6. The buggy was great until I switched to Lipo's. Since the X-6 is designed to have lipo's lay across the chassis and all the other buggies would have the lipo brick lay along the vertical line, I think that is the better layout. I can feel how the X-6 seems to wallow through turns now. Since I have Kyosho 1/8 buggy and truggy, I wanted to stay within the family.

Thanks.
Use the Team AE turnbuckles. and get a spare rear shock tower and mount. I haven't broken any arms but a set of those would be handy. 1 buy get's you 1 of each and they are good for either side. If you have the shock springs from the x-6 you will be fine on tuning. Just pull the trigger and go.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zac R
i know this on probally posted on here but.....

does anyone have the part number for the new motor plate???
Im pretty sure the part number for the motor plate is UMW509.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

speaking of the motor plate...we got some in at our shop. they're sadly the same plate with lines in it...cool to look at but not worth the extra coin imo.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What is the affect of moving of the rear hubs up and down. I imagine is similar to raising and lowering the link, but maybe more drastic?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell
What is the affect of moving of the rear hubs up and down. I imagine is similar to raising and lowering the link, but maybe more drastic?
It would change the center of gravity which would in turn affect the roll center.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What does raising and lowering roll center do?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alexb2000
What does raising and lowering roll center do?
Raising roll center will cause the car to roll more going into a corner increasing side bite. However, you don't want it to roll so much that you roll over or traction roll.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I tried it back to back with the arms all the way down and arms all the way up.

All the way down (lowest hole on carrier) make the car feel super nervous going into "on-throttle" corners and coming out of turns

All the way up (highest hole on carrier) was just the opposite...car was far more planted and felt stuck in the rear end.

Havn't messed with the middle hole yet but I can imagine it would be somewhere between both of those holes as far as rear traction and rotation went.

maybe a combo of caster and rear carrier height would work out pretty good?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Any one looking for a RB5 I have an excellent buggy for sale in the F/S Forum
Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does anyone but me notice that the battery tray seems to get jammed up with dirt a lot?

I run Lipo, so I don't pull it out every run, but after 2-3 runs, the battery area has a bunch of dirt in it. I'm assuming it comes from the wire slots and around the T-plate...I was thinking of sealing it up with a little RTV, but I'd rather not...is it just me?

The car is great though. This is what I thought 2wd buggy would be like -- light, nimble and fun to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.