Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Radio Operated Cars of Kelowna  (R.O.C.K Racing) >

Radio Operated Cars of Kelowna (R.O.C.K Racing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio Operated Cars of Kelowna (R.O.C.K Racing)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation veary sad indeed...

Hey,... i'v got a box of tissue for "Concerned",... need to know where to send it,..... anyone
Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Post It's a tough call

Being an executive here in Penticton is tough at times... I can emphaise with ROCK about this...
There have been countless times where it's Anthony & I and a bunch of dedicated members stepping up to the plate to do what needs to be done... our PRCC members are there for support but everyone has their own lives to live and getting everyone coordinated is tough at times...
I personally have spent numerous hours working on things to progress our club and most of which isn't seen by the members... do I expect anything for this? No.... this is a volunteer position and I realized this when I accepted the position...
There are times that I haven't been able to make everyone happy and it's hard when you're the one making the calls... I have had times where members that weren't happy about something have pulled me aside and told me one on one about it because they aren't comfortable addressing it in a group and I have tried my best to address their issue as if it were my own with everyone so that the club can learn from it...
Being a member is the easy part... when the schedule is set for you and there's a place to race, all the hard work is done... it's then up to the members to produce the attendance to keep it going...
"Concerned"... if you are having trouble approaching Dan or Rob, speak to someone in confidence as a mediator then...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default ROCK on..

I dont know many of you too well but I do know this; you will perceiver and get through this hump, you have a great core of guys, and are hardcore racers!
Do not look down, look forward!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Default Rocking and Rolling

Hey just to be clear, it's not like the club has tanked or folded under. For carpet we are with out a location right now. Off road will continue as planned and we will continue to handle the issues as they come up.

ROCK Racing is still alive a vibrant in Kelowna, we are just on a break right now. We will come back stronger and better then ever.

Concerned, I am waiting to hear from you so we can get you on the leadership team and show us the way.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you Everyone for Standing up and saying something positive, as most people know I'm very passionate about RC and especially racing, I race almost every weekend YEAR ROUND and spend allot of time on the road traveling to different clubs and what I find at all clubs seems to be the same. you have your hard core guys I see time and time again, the drop in people that love to race but can’t always make it out, the new people who are SUPER EXCITED about what they have just discovered and finally you have your complainers and every club race every trophy race has them but in the end we need to respect the fact that the people in charge making all the decisions making all of this happen spending money out of their own pockets because they love the hobby and they do it so YOU the racer have a place to do it, so THANK YOU to all the people who take on this job so I can do what I love to do so much and that’s RACE.

Thanks

Aaron Matlo.

PS I'm coming to Penticton this sunday
sorry kamloops will see you after the PRCC trophy race.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with what Amber said. People do not realize the amount of work that is put into running a club. I can honestly say if it wasn't for the massive time comitment Amber and Anthony put in our club it would not be the awesome success it is today.

I can't speak to what concerned wrote and the concernes that were raised but what I can say if your going to say it you should say it whithout hiding who you are. Personally I think if your bothered that much than you should speak up without the anonimity. If not then you should have never posted it publicly like this. Those things said should have been done behind closed doors.

Anyway to those of you who volunteer of your time to try and make the kelowna club happen my hat goes off to you. You deserve to be thanked for your efforts. You just have to remember you win some and you loose some... don't let that kind of finger pointing get ya down. At the end of the day we are all just trying to promote our sport.

Now kelowna all you need is to find 3 families like mine... When we are all there we can field 7 cars on our own soon to add 2 more to the mix hahahahaha... I hope to see you guys out at our trophy race this month your always welcome and it would be great to have you!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

[QUOTE=amber_hobbs;8628105
Being a member is the easy part... when the schedule is set for you and there's a place to race, all the hard work is done... it's then up to the members to produce the attendance to keep it going...
.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, wish more people saw and appreciated the volunteer work all track organizers do behind the scene.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Here's my bit.
I agree with Amber Rob and Dan when they talk about how challenging it is to run an RC club. I can see how much work it is.
Having said that I also think that people aren't going to come out and play unless it's fun. It isn't fun to listen to people complain. It doesn't matter if it's an official running an event who is complaining that they keep being bothered with questions or a racer bitching that someone cut them off and cost them a heat, listening to that is not fun. If it ain't fun most people won't do it.
How many times this year did you hear someone say "Calm down, we are racing toy cars." Every time you heard that you were hearing someone say "this isn't fun for me."
We had some great races this year and last, but we also had some days that weren't that much fun.
As for an answer, I don't think there is an easy one. I suspect that part of it is the freedom of behavior that we have in our club. Perhaps, and I know this won't be popular, being more rules oriented might help. Every time racers and officials have to wait for a marshal to get to the track so they can start their race, every time that the same 4 or 5 people roll out the carpet and set up the track, and every time we say we'll take an hour for lunch and then don't get restarted for 90 minutes we are telling our members that they can do whatever they want and that they aren't responsible for anything except showing up and racing. If we make this slightly, and I do mean slightly, more professional we may all benefit. I know the argument against this is that people won't come if they think there are too many rules. Well, they aren't coming now so what do we have to lose?
If it takes penalties to get people to do what they are supposed to do and it takes people doing what they are supposed to do to make our race days run smoothly and be fun again then maybe that is an option.
I know that I am new here and I know that I don't know all the background information but I know what I see and I see a broken club that needs significant changes if we are going to grow, have fun, and enjoy our hobby. The only other option is to shut it all down and race in Penticton and Kamloops. That isn't an option for some of us so it would mean the end of our hobby. I don't want that to happen but I also have no interest in continuing to show up, race, and come home without having a huge amount of fun. After all, isn't that the point of having a hobby in the first place?

If you have to yell, go outside.
If you are angry at someone, get over it or go home.
If you need help ask, politely.
If you have a free moment find something that needs to be done. Post race results, retape the boards or the track. We all know what needs to be done so why do only a few people do it?
We all pay to race and that doesn't mean that paying means you don't have to do anything but race.
If we all did a little then the people who are feeling overworked might feel better about the efforts they are putting in.

Let me summarize this way. None of us would act like a genital wart at work or with our friends, why is it okay to act like one when we are racing?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Kevin...
I agree with what you are saying about the fun factor... Anthony & I have been really pushing this within our club and it has made a sigficant difference. We have girls / women and tons of children racing because of the atmosphere... and yes the atmosphere makes a difference...

In the years that Anthony raced in Kelowna I came along as company. We were socialable, offered our help with setup (although take down was difficult with the later nights)... But at the trophy race I made the effort of helping Dan & Rob out with something as simple as posting the results... these little things make a HUGE difference in the clubs atmosphere...

Perhaps you are right... the same people doing all the same work time after time has burnt them out... so yes perhaps they have LOST the "fun factor" because of this... If other members see this why DON'T they step up...

I have to admit we are very fortunate with our club... with girls/women & children being involved the atmosphere is much more relaxed than I have ever seen... You are going to have troubles with marshals no matter what club you are in and people always seem to run behind when getting to the line... and the solution is simple... start without them then and dock a lap for waiting for the marshal.. it happens once and people will begin to realize it & pick up the pace...

I think if Kelowna is to continue going that perhaps some other members should step up and give the others a much needed break... they can then realize the fun factor again and the overall atmosphere will change... I guarantee it
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well there has been lots posts on our club right now and I agree with everyone that we need to make changes..At our high we had about 20 hard core guys,we tried to make it run like a clock but it didn't always happen and we made some people happy and some sad...Then we tried losing up on rule and regs and got the same results..There were count less time's were we asked for input and maybe we heard you and maybe we didn't "sorry about that".We have call count less club meeting and only 2-5 people show up to give input. So if you want to help with the club or start a new one, and really make the change's we need please step forword...........I or We will listen.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Well,well,well. Another 1 post wonder that thinks they know how a Club should be run. That's some FUNNY SHIT right there folks.What a MORON!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

TVRC FB website page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tho...96620707017152
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

I don't have much to say. But, from the little amount of experience I gained last summer. Trying to race offroad. I really loved it. I like RC. It's a ton of fun. And I can't wait to help out with the track this spring. If need be.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fozzy D
I don't have much to say. But, from the little amount of experience I gained last summer. Trying to race offroad. I really loved it. I like RC. It's a ton of fun. And I can't wait to help out with the track this spring. If need be.
Thanks Fozzy we are having a new track layout this year and we will be asking for input on the layout stay tuned offroad wil start sometime in May
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default "WOW"

I leave town for a week and this is what I come back too

Im not much into accusing or defending but I will say that I have always had a great time racing with the R.O.C.K and look forward to more in the futor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.