Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is how...

http://www.rcracer.com.au/reviews/ja...Buggy_jump.wmv
Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tetsuo
In all seriousness.... that would be great, a 3x1hr event indoors in an indoor cricket venue, for offroad cars.... but it's a different event to the Knox Vintage Offroad Enduro...

Maybe organise it for mid-winter next year? I'll be there....

I'm very impressed you'll do this for the vintage community.... well done mate.

Alex
Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tetsuo
Exactly - plastic discs for moguls, carpeted jumps etc etc...hopefully we'll then get to see some more vintage cars run that otherwise would be shelf queens forever.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Guys
I'm a carpenter and I can build a few low jumps for the event that can be left raw or covered in carpet.I can even do whoops' if needed.
Timmey [ Grass hopper driver]
Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Red face

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
20 years ago ( almost to the day ironically )
hahahahahaha, don't rub it in matey - same here

i turned up at Knox one raceday in 1988 Sept/Oct-ish...
  • in a Mitsubishi stationwagon
  • with 4WD plastic tubby Tamiya
  • the bee's knees KO EX1 radio with 3ch receiver

yesterday i turned up at Knox
  • in a Mitsubishi stationwagon
  • with a 4WD plastic tubby Tamiya
  • 50:50 probably the same KO EX1 radiogear

2 decades... only difference were (ahh, what i don't miss)
-1200mAh nicads
-chargeleads
-an extra 20kg at the waist
Old 12-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
Exactly - plastic discs for moguls, carpeted jumps etc etc...hopefully we'll then get to see some more vintage cars run that otherwise would be shelf queens forever.
Great idea..... sounds like a Vintage Series.... 2 or more events, set up for vintage cars..... Knox, Indoor, and maybe Keilor or Wodonga too! Would be great to see!!!!

Point being, the Knox Enduro should stay as it is.... but if an indoor event is needed, and has enough people wanting it, then it should be a separate event.....

Am I making sense yet???

Alex
Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

meh if its indoors... make it 1/12th pans on 6cell with 05 stockers

('cos my blue ABC suspension car back in 1982 looked cool but sure as heck wasn't competitive)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

where to start? Well as Im typing this on my I phone it will have to be a short post. Firstly a very big thankyou to my very good friend Antony for again working very hard co-ordinating such a brilliant event. Also to the Knox club members for all the welcome us 'inter-staters' recieved. The event was both alot of fun and challenging at the same time. The day could not have gone more smoothly in my opinion and I can say that Ant certainly knows his stuff when it comes to puting these kind of events together.
I would also like to say aspecial thanks to Alex and Ant for puting me up whilst in town and getting me trackside most days I've been here.
The level of driving was fantastic and both Darryn and myself had to work hard to take the win. With more than a few vintage meetings behind us now I would say that the Knox 4 hour enduro doesn't need to be redesigned as mentioned above as there is always plenty of other opportunities to plan other events thoughout the year.
Again Darryn and myself teamed up to compete as 'North Wind' this year and we both feel blessed with the result we acheived. Like many others we are both passionate about the vintage racing scene and enjoy these events immensly.
There were some brilliant battles on the track and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Can't wait till next time. Thankyou to all and god bless.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Wow - what an event!

Many thanks to Ant, the legendary Peter Crowe and other club members for making this event what can only be described as a total success..fantastic job - we all appreciate the effort and time involved in making this event. Thanks also to all the teams who competed and made the effort to race. Without people that are willing to go and drive these old jewels - we would have no events.

The 1600 odd klm's of driving for me was totally worth it. I would also like to Luis Sola and his terrific family for putting me up for three nights - I hope the "snoring" didnt disturb you too much!! I have to say it was a great pleasure to again drive with Luis (and to be totally impressed by his son Brendans almost instant adaption to electric off road). All of the "negotiating" with you to come out was well worth the effort! I am truly happy I had the parts to make your car pristine again mate - it was a pleasure.

To my mate Jason - thanks for being my team mate - we are both completely mad about this stuff - so we are a perfect pairing! Your conservative controlled driving was a large factor in our win. This result certainly makes up for our failures of last year. It was an even larger journey for you (Flying in from the Gold Coast) - I am so glad that your cars were perfectly prepped - as you sure did not have many spares (damn baggage limits)!! Great effort mate.

These events really are awesome. While the cars may not be the latest and greatest - they are more than competive when raced together. In fact - from what Peter Crowe was saying - the top 540 drivers are doing high 20, low 30 second laps on the Knox track........exactly what the top teams were doing with the old cars at this event. Perhaps this will give a bit more cred to the current racers on just how cool these old cars are.

More than anything though - this meeting was exactly what a vintage meeting should be about - running the old cars, meeting up with old mates - making new ones. After the event - we stood around for an hour or two enjoying and reliving what had just transpired, already discussing the plans for next year and what we are going to run......just brilliant.

For me - I made a few more friends - specially "scooby" - what a bloody legend - great driver considering it is still his first year or two of racing...... must be something in those Crowe genes for sure. I especially loved his driving tips - "he's been doing it all day ref!!" Great stuff.

I will get some pics up shortly - unfortuantely I was not able to get nearly as many as I would have liked - thank god for Willy Chang and his Nikkon...

Cheers - thanks again for a brilliant weekend that will be remembered for a long time by those who participated.

Cheers

Darryn Johnson
Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, Another year run and won. I'll have the event tallies done shortly, and will post everyone's laps up then.

I must give a big thanks to Everyone who competed, without the participants, there is no event.

A big thanks must also go to Matty Chisolm, who I forgot to thank after the race, for his hard work on Saturday getting the track and it's surrounds the best they could be given the current difficulties with track maintenance.

Whilst I did not run in the event, I got great satisfaction seeing the event come together, and witnessing the goodwill between teams, clean driving between classes and some very very courteous lapping maneuvers from both the lapper and the lapee.

The crew from the collectors said that they had a ball, and I think they added a little flavor to the meet as well, especially when they followed teams on their "Walks of Shame" back to the pits for either a repair or tweak, with the obligatory camera snooping in on the destruction.

I had a ball commentating (sorry it was probably not that flash, I'm no Kovacs of the Germanic Tonsils) and watching the laptimes was a thing of beauty. Consistent good lap times coming from all the cars, especially those in open. The Winning Grasshopper even managed to post a lap in the low 36's, which is a feat in anybodies language!

Anyway, Looking forward to attending some events in the new year as a competitor, rather than an organizer, so for all you blokes with event ideas, ask your local club if they will host. It can be time consuming, nerve racking and completely exhausting, but let me tel everyone who's never organized an event like this........ seeing it go off is as good as winning a meet, so when you want to do an event, I'll be there.

That's about it from me, untill next time........ Keep on rollin' on 2" rims!

-a
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys
Thankyou to Ant and all of the other teams for such a wonderful day of racing.
When I got home I looked at the hopper and relised that it was a hard tail.....the set up I did , had the rear shocks not working at all !!
see you all next time
Timmey
Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

As promised - here a few pics....seems I took more than I thought - nearly 200...have to keep some for the magazine - however here are some of the "good atmosphere" ones:

Friday at Keilor - Jason making a birthday wish perhaps?

SATURDAY - Practice and general stuffin about:

Robs tray back ute - these things should be in every blokes garage!

Look at me - I really am special! Ants awesome trailer - and Jason's "ÿou will never have this" look.........

Jasons Cougar getting prepped before a run.....

AIR TIME - first practice run for Jason's Cougar........

Luis and Brendan Sola's Losi JRX2 - first run - MORE AIR!!

Jason's JRX2 gettin some air - and some "ësses" action:

Some pics of my Lazer ZXR and my SWB Trinity "Butterfly" Optima Mid doin their thing:

SUNDAY - RACE DAY - a couple of pics - not as many as I would have liked - but I was otherwise engaged!!

The Concourse line up:

Robs's Deserving concourse winner - so so pretty! (the car - not him!!)

My nice clean JRX Pro - before the 4 hours of torture:

Luis and Brendan Sola's car before the race (AS it was raced in 1990 at the S.A state titles!!) :

Luis and Brendan - I think the bug has bitten for young Sola now - good luck Luis!!

The Chang:

The very tired winning cars:

The very tired, sunburnt winners of open class:

Ant doing the presentation with the camera crew recording it all - I think they got a great show and hopefully the club and hobby will benefit a little from it.

Again - thanks for all that attended and organised this fantastic event.

Bring on the next one!

Cheers

Darryn

Last edited by RETRO R/C; 12-02-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yes it sure was a lot of fun and the sun certainly was at its brightest on this day. Its funny how the love of vintage r/c buggies can bring people together. Just getting home last night I was buggered from 6 days of fun and little sleep. I realy enjoyed my time in Melbourne this year getting to spend time with my buddies I chat to on the phone all year round but only get to see very occassionaly.
I believe that there certainly is a good mix of fun personalities that make it to these events and having a laugh along the way is what makes it so worth while.
Meeting Louis Sola was a real hoot this year as there is only one thing better than watching vintage race cars go round and thats watching vintage race cars go round driven by a genuine accomplished vintage driver. As it turns out Louis and I started out in r/c at around the same time back in the late 80's. I ofcourse strayed after a few years when I discovered girls and real cars when I hit hit my later teen years-he he. Without a doubt Louis can drive and I suspect that next year he'll be better prepared and be gunning for the win. Brendan was also very suprising and Im certain he has his fathers abilities also. Well done guys.
I wish I had the ability to remember all the drivers names on the day and I wish I could have spent more time chating in the pits getting to meet everyone. I will say for certain that it was no easy win for Darryn and myself on this day as there was some very fast cars going around and some very tight battles being fought on the track. I think if reliability was not an issue then the better drivers would have taken the win for sure. Thats not to say that our team was not driving well as I could see Darryn pulling some very nice laps and fortunately for me I decided to bring my 'A' game finaly and managed to get the Cougar around as smooth as I could.
There are a few things that really helped our team out on the day and they are the following- Loctite. Yep doesn't sound like such a huge deal but use this on every single thread which hits metal and you'll find less parts rattle loose. Another thing which helped me out was both 'Sun screne and Aeraguard insect repelant'. Sounds obvious I know but certainly kept those pesky buggers off me-
As for Ant,we all owe Ant a real huge thanks because not only did Ant keep things running smoothly all day but he also sacrificed his teams entry to show us all a good time. Ant may not look like much but he alone donates alot of his time and skills to this end of the sport. Wether it be making up trophies (they look sensational Ant) ,manning the mic or organising the days racing there is more that goes on behind the scenes than we all know. It is a privilidge to be a good mate of Ant's and I can tell you without his efforts we wouldnt have had the great day we had. Im sure everyone has a great idea for the next meeting but please honour his efforts and allow him to run this particular evet as he sees fit. There are plenty of other opportunities for us to run extra events all year round so this neadant be the only vintage race of the year.
To all the competitors I say 'a job well done'. Its easy to sit back and talk about what you could of,would of and should have been done but to put a team together and get out there and run these old beauties really has its rewards. Marshalling trackside I found myself smiling stupidly remanissing good old days. The sound of 32 pitch gears coupled with the klunking and slapping of chassis over the rough terrain brought all the old memories flooding back. What a day!
As I put all my gear away I know it may be a little while to the next event and wether it be held in Sydney ( St Ives please),Melbourne or maybe even QLD I hope to see many of you there. Just wanted to say a thanks to all for the laughs and great spirits shown on the day. Till next time, take care and keep the dream alive. Cheers- Jason 'MILLHOUSE'
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi All,

The 08 Vintage Enduro peice filmed by the ABC will be aired on the 1st may at 8:00 pm Collectors program. Happy watching!!