Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL >

Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd use sugar water and soda on asphalt for traction, but definitely not on dirt. I think the reason the dirt here is so loamy is because there's a high sand content. If you want it to pack a little firmer, you'd probably just want to gradually add more clay until it's just right.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was out there Sunday night with my daughter. We brought 2 XXX-4's, a Slash and an 1/8th brushless conversion. While I'd prefer more clay, we had a great time and only got stuck in the loose stuff a few times in an hour and a half of nonstop running. Everybody is driving on the same surface, so no one is at a disadvantage.

What impressed us the most was the marshaling. There was always at least one staff member on the track, usually two. The instant one of us flipped over, a marshal was running to help us out.

A quick tip for anybody planning to check it out. The address did not come up in Google maps. Heading west on Bowes from Randall, just keep going until you make a sharp turn over some railroad tracks. When you see a row of mailboxes on the right, it is the 4th or 5th one, 40W660.

FWIW, I think I'd also like to see designated session of electric only.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Ok guys. ALL ELECTRIC DRIVERS.

NOTE TO ALL ELECTRIC DRIVERS

CALLING ALL ELECTRIC DRIVERS!

LETS FIGHT THOSE EXHAUST FUMES THIS SUNDAY!

CALLING ALL ELECTRIC DRIVERS THIS SUNDAY!

if anyone has any problems with sunday then maybe saturday?

WE HAVE TO FIGHT THESE EXHAUST FUMES AT LEAST ONE DAY TO SHOW THEM THAT THERE IS INTREST IN ELECTRIC OFFROAD.

IF WE JUST KEEP SAYING ON HERE "OH ID LOVE TO SEE AN ELECTRIC ONLY NIGHT" OR "ILL COME OUT IF THERE WAS AN ELECTRIC ONLY DAY" THEN WE HAVE TO GO!!!

This is not decided by Kim or Tim, but decieded by ME. Vincent Jaron. If we can get all of us with our XXX-4s XXX-Ts T4s B4s B44s WHATEVER ELECTRIC YOU HAVE! COME ON OUT AND SHOW THEM THAT THERE IS ELECTRIC OFFROAD STILL ALIVE IN THE CHICAGOLAND AREA! I dont know about you guys but it has been getting expensive to drive to trackside of leisure hours for some good ELECTRIC OFFROAD! BUT WE HAVE TO FIGHT THESE EXHAUST FUMES AT LEAST ONE DAY....maybe 2, 3 or hell ENOUGH SO AN ELECTRIC OFFROAD DAY CAN GET SETUP!

NOW WHOS WITH ME!?!?!?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

if anyone has any problems with sunday then maybe saturday?
Argh. You allowed your audience too many choices.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
Argh. You allowed your audience too many choices.
LOL! I think Sunday would actually be the day for the electric only, IF they come out. So if we get a good turn out this week we can set something up.

For the people who haven't been to the track yet, we are still low on pit tables, and chairs, so you might want to pack one. Our fees are $5.00 membership, plus 15.00 day fee = 20.00 for first visit. We have a snack bar on site and a outhouse.

When you get to the address 40W660 Bowes Road (Note: there is a yellow street turn sign right before the driveway)you turn into a driveway of a house and follow the drive way past a tree there are two poles, go between the poles and follow the path to the back on the house to the main horse barn, you enter through the stables.

Track hours this week will be:
Friday: 5pm - 10pm Open Track
Saturday: 10am - 10pm Open Track
Sundays: 11am - 8pm Open Track

I hope to see you there!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Hello to ALL R/C Divers!!

I'm a new comer. ROOKIE. I have been hanging out at Strictly within last the month. I have met alot of cool guys there. Long story short. Where and if so are these R/C tracks. I'm running a TT-01 and Hpi Sprint Flux 2 FULLY UPGRADED. Kenji please help.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

So after visiting Barnyard this past Saturday for the first time I thought I'd share my experience. First off, I have to commend the staff for their friendliness, helpfullness and general attitude. It was a welcoming and conversational environment, and the staff are great folks. Second, the marshalls and track staff have to be commended, they were out there all day, and with the exception of myself, and a few others that jumped out there and marshalled for a while, they took care of teh great majority of it, so thanks to you guys. Also, the availability of the compressor was a HUGE help to me in keeping things somewhat clean throughout the day, as well as when packing it up for the evening.
A few suggestions as well. First, I think a firmer surface is in order even though I run a 1/8th MT. the general lack of traction, and roost that the cars throw up jsut makes the track and jumps feel sloppy at a decent rate of speed. Also, an exhaust fan would be hugely helpful. I know that the doors were opened multiple times, however, a fan sucking air in through the doors and blowing it out would help out a ton. I run nitro, so I can deal with the smoke, but by the end of the day I actually ahd a hard time seeing the back straight from the drivers stand. And lastly, I think that if the layout was changed to either eliminate or incorporate the oval in a dirt format, it would be hugely beneficial for both classes of drivers. It would allow for far more interesting layouts, and a more technical track, which would keep drivers coming back week after week.
Again, thanks for a great day, and thanks to the great staff for making it a good time. I think with a few changes here and there, this could really become a great outlet for all of us in the chicagoland area to get some racing in, and I cant wait to see the outdoor track next year if it happens!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by milton6599
Kenji please help.
Check your yahoo email Milton.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

I'm looking forward to be there this Sunday. Ready with my cars and to meet new peolpe, and HOPE TO SEE OTHER 1/10 ELE ON ROAD DRIVERS TOO!!

Are the pits areas limted? What's the best time to arrive there?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by milton6599
I'm looking forward to be there this Sunday. Ready with my cars and to meet new peolpe, and HOPE TO SEE OTHER 1/10 ELE ON ROAD DRIVERS TOO!!

Are the pits areas limted? What's the best time to arrive there?

Sunday the hours are 11am - 8pm. We have some people who show up when the doors open and stay all day. So its upto you.

The pit tables and chairs are limited, so you may want to pack one just in case.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stg099
So after visiting Barnyard this past Saturday for the first time I thought I'd share my experience. First off, I have to commend the staff for their friendliness, helpfullness and general attitude. It was a welcoming and conversational environment, and the staff are great folks. Second, the marshalls and track staff have to be commended, they were out there all day, and with the exception of myself, and a few others that jumped out there and marshalled for a while, they took care of teh great majority of it, so thanks to you guys. Also, the availability of the compressor was a HUGE help to me in keeping things somewhat clean throughout the day, as well as when packing it up for the evening.
A few suggestions as well. First, I think a firmer surface is in order even though I run a 1/8th MT. the general lack of traction, and roost that the cars throw up jsut makes the track and jumps feel sloppy at a decent rate of speed. Also, an exhaust fan would be hugely helpful. I know that the doors were opened multiple times, however, a fan sucking air in through the doors and blowing it out would help out a ton. I run nitro, so I can deal with the smoke, but by the end of the day I actually ahd a hard time seeing the back straight from the drivers stand. And lastly, I think that if the layout was changed to either eliminate or incorporate the oval in a dirt format, it would be hugely beneficial for both classes of drivers. It would allow for far more interesting layouts, and a more technical track, which would keep drivers coming back week after week.
Again, thanks for a great day, and thanks to the great staff for making it a good time. I think with a few changes here and there, this could really become a great outlet for all of us in the chicagoland area to get some racing in, and I cant wait to see the outdoor track next year if it happens!!!
Thank you for the suggestions and compliments on the staff and track. We are working really hard to get this track off and going! We are gathering all of your suggestions for track changes, but will not be making major changes to the tracks for another few weeks. As for the looseness, we could try to press the dirt after a few hours to see if that helps repack it. We are also thinking about dirt options.

Thanks again!

Kim
Track Operations Manager
Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you very much Kim.

I'll see you then.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Things that you wish you saw at a track but never do..

I am just trying to gather info on things that you wish that you saw at a track .. basically what type of things would your dream track have...
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Things my ideal track would have.

Staff:

Your staff was top notch on my last visit, so no changes needed there.

Pits:

Taped or painted lines to identify individual pit spaces (to prevent people from taking up 10ft. of table space)
A magnet glued to the table at each space to place screws and washers so they dont fall on the floor.
Compressed air station (you already have that and it's fantastic)
Availability of common items (glow starters, batteries, drinks, etc.)

Track

EXHAUST FAN! (Potentially a whole house fan up in the corner of the cieling,(the type where you just cut a square, install and run power, and when the fan kicks on it opens the slats automatically. This would allow the nitro fumes to be kicked out of the track almost instantaneously during a race and is self-sealing and can be shut off when not in use.)

Harder surface for a higher traction track
Interesting Layout
Indoor/Outdoor availability
High visibility from the drivers stand (Move pit stand back, or move stairs to side to prevent the view from being blocked in the front straight)

The most important part of this you guys already have nailed, and that is that you make it a fun and welcoming track to whomever is there. As long as it stays that way, I think it will continue to grow and be successful, especially due to the convenience it offers us chicagoland area racers.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stg099
Things my ideal track would have.

Staff:

Your staff was top notch on my last visit, so no changes needed there.

Pits:

Taped or painted lines to identify individual pit spaces (to prevent people from taking up 10ft. of table space)
A magnet glued to the table at each space to place screws and washers so they dont fall on the floor.
Compressed air station (you already have that and it's fantastic)
Availability of common items (glow starters, batteries, drinks, etc.)

Track

EXHAUST FAN! (Potentially a whole house fan up in the corner of the cieling,(the type where you just cut a square, install and run power, and when the fan kicks on it opens the slats automatically. This would allow the nitro fumes to be kicked out of the track almost instantaneously during a race and is self-sealing and can be shut off when not in use.)

Harder surface for a higher traction track
Interesting Layout
Indoor/Outdoor availability
High visibility from the drivers stand (Move pit stand back, or move stairs to side to prevent the view from being blocked in the front straight)

The most important part of this you guys already have nailed, and that is that you make it a fun and welcoming track to whomever is there. As long as it stays that way, I think it will continue to grow and be successful, especially due to the convenience it offers us chicagoland area racers.
Agreed in all aspects. I would like to add to the list: a huge "jump of death" through some flames, although I realize thats a tall order to fill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.