Trackside

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Trackside

hey guys....and gals....

couple of questions....

how many runs are you getting from your spec tires....my car is fealing like it has an overall lack of grip, and if i were running sorexes, i would mount up some new....but everyone else seems to be on old (3-4 weeks of racing)....help....i think i have lost my mojo......and am pretty sure reid has it......AND I WANT IT BACK.....pout pout

Last edited by BuckMan; 01-09-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:47 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been running mine every week since Scotty got the first sets in.

-Troy
Old 12-02-2002, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I think what mr. losi is looking for is how long do they last before the performance goes down hill. I can run tires two years old but are they just as fast as when they were new, probably not.

I guess the only way to find out is to try a new pair.

So lets ask this, how many runs are people getting before you decide to bolt on a new set because you are not fast enough? The other question is are you cleaning the tires with anything? Just trying to find any similarities that might exist.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:34 AM
RCTech Member #2

mine still felt ok... i havent run em in about 2 weeks though... no racing for the time being... too busy
Old 12-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stogie's back!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 02:05 PM
R/C Tech Founder

What, you mean people aren't bolting a new set on after every run like they will be at the Novak?
Old 12-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Matt.

I have over a month on mine (on my tc3 like it matters) I am thinking the same thing you are. I would honestly say about the end of the 2nd race day to the middle of my 3rd race day they started to get a little squirrly. Its hard to tell because the last couple of layouts at scottys have been on parts of the track where their hasn't been allot of running. I guess the best person to ask would be Brad. He is about the fastest guy I have seen using them and I am sure he is not on his first set like allot of the rest of us. I am just trying to figure out how many sets I really need to purchase for the novak race. After that it is back to sorex's for me................................
Old 12-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey guys I have been running these tires for a while on my Schumacher and now on my Losi and I have to say that you will see them slow down at about 10 to 15 runs in stock. And it does take about 1 to 1 1/2 runs to get the tires work the best out of the package. I would think that you can race the Novak on 2 sets of tires no prob. But they do start to drop off and people that have been running them for 3 plus weeks with no drop off are fooling themselfs they do get slower some can notice it better then others is all.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Administrator

kevin...yup on the two sets for the noak..i am going to practice on a set, then race on two......

what setup are you using on the losi?????kraig and i would like to know...we are using a ver similar setup to francises nats setup.......i agree on the tires.....i had this problem outside....barly made the a.....i put on new tires, and wam...i ran with seji and brad for the race....comp. lap times also.......keep the imput coming....i am in serious need of my mojo....
Old 12-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Matt......The setup Im running now is not finalized yet but gets better and better each time out on the track.

front
blue losi spring
black piston
60wt oil
4 deg castor block
0 block in lower hole
mid roll center
arms spaced to the front
1 way in front
camber link 1 hole from the inside
shock in the 3rd hole in
2deg camber
.5deg toe out
ride height 5.5mm
Droop 3mm over ride height
second stiffest sway bar in front

rear
red losi spring
inner hole on the arm
2 hole in on the tower
camber link longest pos.
pink piston
50wt oil
1 deg toe in hubs installed for 3 deg total per side
1deg camber
5.5mm ride height
droop 3mm over ride height
arms spaced to the middle
low roll center blocks used
4r block in upper hole
second stiffest sway bar in rear

TO 27 premounts full traction compound front and rear
Losi Alpha body

the car has mad corner speed but can be a little hard to drive in traffic.
'
Note.....I edited what I entered wrong yesterday

Last edited by Kevin K; 12-03-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:51 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by Stogie
Stogie's back!!!
Hey Stogie
Old 12-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Administrator

thanks kevin.....there are alto of similaritys in the setups yet a lot of diferences......thanks for all the info.....

chad.....chad....chad........
Old 12-03-2002, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

I dunno if you were refering to me, but I will give my $0.02 on setups and tires.

I am still on my original set of TO27's, (approximately 5 race days on them) and can really notice the fall off in times now. I will probably pick up another set soon, but with me moving into my new house this past week, who knows what i will be able to do or afford.

as for setups, i have had the best luck with the baker setup with a rear droop of 7 instead of 5.

I tried the spool/rear shock tower setup from one of baker's setup sheets (yea i know it was for asphalt, but i wanted to try it ) it was easy and consistent, but overall too slow. I threw the one-way back in and was back on pace. note that setup had lots of steering so i ended up dialing some out on the radio.

what i ran just this past weekend was:

front
------
60wt
gold
2* kickup/2* caster blocks
5mm rideheight
shock position - middle on normal front tower, inner on arm
camber link - upper inner
std anti-sway bar
oneway
droop 7

rear
------
50wt
blue
3* toe-in/0* kickup
short wheelbase
camber link - upper inner, outer on hub
shock position - middle on tower, outer on arm
std anti-sway bar
battery to the rear
droop 7

normally this hooks up really good for me, but last sunday it was a lil out of control. it would oversteer coming in and push coming out... not predictablly (sp?) it would just happen all of a sudden, but with as many runs as i have on these tires, i think it was just the tires causing most of my issues.

what is everyone else running for tc3 setups?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:41 PM
RCTech Member #2

now that i think about it .... last race, i really wacked my setup a ton to make the car work..

probably was tires..maybe... behhh... fricken tires.. haha...

im tired... see ya guys in like 2 weeks or something
Old 12-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

i personally are seeing a need for a new set at about the end of the 3rd week of racing. but, i know guys that are running towards the front that are getting 4-5 weeks out of them......hmmmm but all that is out the window at the NOVAK. right?

hey stogie, bummer 'bout the "cleveland experience". keep in mind we get pretty spoiled having trackside around. but you are not the only that is pretty bummed about it. sounds like a lot of people are questioning if it is still one of the biggest events of the year. snowbirds or the novak could take it over.......just a thought. glad you're back now go buy some rubbers and come join us big boy.........man, i've been hanging out with brad way too much. oh yeah, how'd the body hold up. let me know if you want one more for the NOVAK. later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.