Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum Telemetry Module Review - Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Spektrum Telemetry Module Review - Disappointed

So I picked up the Spektrum Telemetry module for my Pro4 last weekend. I was really looking forward to this product. I have to say though that I am quite disappointed in it. Here are my thoughts.

Installation - There are a lot of wires. I already have a brushless system in my car so finding a place for this was difficult. I had no idea just how difficult. The RPM/Speed sensor comes with a small piece of metal that you are supposed to creatively put in your car to mount a sensor next to the spur gear. I tried and tried and really had a difficult time trying to find a place where I could do it without bending the metal in many different directions (you are supposed to bend it to make it fit). In the end I ended up just breaking the metal. Im not sure it would have ever worked. It seemed the sensor had to be as close as humanly possible to the spur gear (almost touching) to even get it to read. It also seemed it had to be facing in a particular angle to work as well.

Well I covered the RPM/Speed sensor (which I ended up just not using) so now I will move on to the temperature sensor. Everything seemed to be OK here but somehow the sensor came apart from the cabling. Not sure how it came apart or how to get it back together but so there is a second sensor down.

Now on to the voltage meter sensor. First, out of the box it measure it at the receiver. If you want to measure a battery you have to solder a harness to the battery that replaces the harness between the receiver and module. Thats all good and well except they give you no instructions or diagrams about which end goes into which (receiver/module). When I did finally get it hooked up it kept reading wrong. There is the third sensor down.

I have not tried the lap counting module yet (requires an additional $75 purchase) but at this point I feel all Im left with is a glorified personal lap counter.

I really like Spektrums product to this point but with my experience I can kind of understand why the product got delayed so long. Perhaps it should have been delayed longer. These of course are just my opinions and maybe Im just a complete moron but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on my experience. I would love to hear from others that have tried this module out and let me know their feedback.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just curious why someone would spend the money on this to use in a electric. Do you really think the data is going to transfer to faster lap times on the track?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Fair Question. Keep in mind the nitro and electric versions are 80% the same. There isnt much nitro racing in Ohio this time of year so I opted for the electric now and then spend the $20-$30 in the spring to switch it out to the nitro sensors. Here is my take:

Personal Lap Counter - this certainly is going to increase your lap times. It allows you in practice to see if the tweaks you are making are resulting in better lap times. I dont have a sense for this without the lap times. My car is going fastest when it appears the slowest.

Voltage Sensor - I use a Lipo pack to practice with. The GTB doesnt have a voltage cutoff for Lipo batteries. It would have prevented me from having my battery run too low in practice if it worked.

Temp Sensor - Obviously this can prevent you from burning up a ESC or motor. It is more a cost savings feature.

Speed/ RPM - very little value. I would guess more curiosity.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, in theory, the RPM sensor could be used to help adjust gearing, which in 19t and stock classes, is 90% of the equation to going fast.....

Later EddieO
Old 01-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah I should have said very little value to me. Absolutely (if you could read it fast enough) the RPM could tell you about gearing. For me though I just go more on my lap times. The fastest setup isnt always the best for me.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by schmelme
Just curious why someone would spend the money on this to use in a electric. Do you really think the data is going to transfer to faster lap times on the track?
Absolutely. I used the Nomadio though and not the Spektrum. The battery voltage sensor is a great help since the radio will let me know (sound and vibration) that my batteries are beginning to dump. Then I can be less agressive on the track in order to finish with some juice left. The temp sensor is again a big help and let's me know real-time if the motor is overheating and it will also let me know after the race what the high and low temps were. Great for helping decide on proper gearing. The speed sensor is just cool but to be honest, I am not sure how much it can help with faster lap times. It is cool though to have radio announce, "you have just reached 40 mph", when you do it.
Matt
Old 01-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

I also got one, I tried putting one in my JRx-s, you really have to keep the wires away from all the moving places. As for the lap counters you can get them on e-bay for $49.00 new, I think thats retail. But everyone only needs one per track, the sensor on the side will work with everyones car, just like thew counting computer. It might work better in my nitro truck were you need to work about temp and voltage a lot more, the monitor also weighs enough if you have it on the top of your radio.