Wiki Posts
Search

Ceramic bearing comparison!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Ceramic bearing comparison!!

I've seen some ceramic kits on ebay and was wondering if any of you guys had used them or any feedback on them. They seem like a real good price point and I hope they are even a little better than regular steel bearings. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, Does any one know if the RDX has the easy access diff. bulkheads like many of they new tourers do??

Thanks--Al
Old 12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

I use them in all my trucks, they last foreverr, and if your diff slips they dont flat spot. I will never use anything else
Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by big al
I've seen some ceramic kits on ebay and was wondering if any of you guys had used them or any feedback on them. They seem like a real good price point and I hope they are even a little better than regular steel bearings. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, Does any one know if the RDX has the easy access diff. bulkheads like many of they new tourers do??

Thanks--Al
Are Ceramics worth the money? YES

However the old saying you get what you pay for applies here to bearings. You have to be carefull when buying ceramic bearings. A lot of people selling ceramics are actually selling ceramic covered steel balls. Buy from well known brands: Acer, Boca, Yokomo, APS, ect.

And yes, the RDX has easy access everything. It's very nice and easy to work on.

Last edited by koabich; 12-02-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Quality ceramics...

Yes, as mentioned above ceramics are well worth the extra money. But again, what you pay is what you get... A note on those ebay deals, unless they tell you it is a certain brand I would not expect the kind of quality/specifications required for RC applications.

A few brands of ceramic bearings that I have tried over the years and would recommend are APS Racing, Yokomo, and Speedtech RC. Their bearings are oiled instead of greased, ultra smooth and has very little play.

I also bought a set of APS ceramic diff balls for my Xray T1 a few years back and I'm still running the same diff balls on my FK05... Talk about durability and money saved!!!! Best part of it all is the time between rebuilds, I'm an ultra lazy guy and diff rebuilds just causes headaches!!!! ;p

If you find a deal on a set of ceramics of a known brand, then I'd say go for it!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is there any way other than price to tell if your getting real ceramic bearings? I know Murdock RC has really good prices on their ceramics,are they tooo good to be true?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Surge offers a great ceramic bearing kit...I been running them for 2 years and had a lot of others and must say there the best I ever tried...
Old 12-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

I know Murdock RC has really good prices on their ceramics,are they tooo good to be true?
Hi hyper1,

As far as I know Murdocks bearings are very good. I am not sure what compound they are made of... As a matter of fact I just had a talk with him about the bearings yesterday and he told me that they are having greatresults and thatthey last.... Thats ALL I KNOW at this time...

There are many companies advertising ceramic bearings on eBay and most of you should be carefull. You usually get for what you pay for. CERAMIC is a general name. There are different componds and grades of materials that fall under the CERAMIC category. Just be carefull. Many of them are not CERAMIC at all, they are just advertising them as ceramic because they are noy using metallic balls....

We had a Chinese company send us 400 samples, then we ordered and what we received was nothing like the samples we received. Thankfully we protected ourselves and got our money back...

I am sure that if you buy the bearings from Murdock you wil be happy!!!

Isaac

Last edited by BATT_MAN; 12-02-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They aren't ceramic, but I did my whole car for $12. Avid rc bearings are $1 a piece, and have been fine, still smooth. Maybe not as free spinning as the high end kits, but smooth enough for me for $12.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Bottom line is you want to buy from a reputable company. Expect to pay $80.00 or more. If you are going to try and get a set of ceramic bearings cheaper, you are better off just buying a top of the line set of metal bearings or staying with the kit's stock bearings if you have an RDX, the stock bearings are incredible. Same with X-Ray, Associated, Schumacher, Tamiya and Losi (these are the kits I've had in the last 2 years and the stock bearings are great in all of them).
Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've run Acer ceramics for 2 years on and off-road racing. They hold up very well and run extremely free. We ran them in 2 HPI Pro4's for a year with zero problems and excellent results. We also ran them for about a year in a Mugen MBX5 buggy and a MBX5/JT Monster truck. We've never used them in motors but we run them exclusively in our chassis'. In 2 years we have never had a bearing fail or seize. Oh and almost zero maintenance.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 PM
drx
Tech Regular

I've wondered about the use of ceramic bearings in RC cars.

I asked a friend of mine, who owns a precision machine shop specializing in racing products what he thought about them in the context of an RC car.

According to him, while he thought that ceramic might outlast metal bearings, any other advantage one might think of getting would be lost because ceramic bearings don't come into their own performance-wise until rpms are reached that lie beyond those that an RC car's driveline can produce.

If that's true, then do we get get enough life to offset the cost of the bearings, if long life is all we can really expect out of them?