Search

Spektrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Qwiglee
In regards to trimming the antenna...

In the manual it says you can trim the wire down to 3.6"
I would like to make it as short as possible but I am understandably nervous about cutting the antenna wire on my brand new Spektrum.

Does it need to be exactly 3.6 inches or can it be a little longer?
If it does need to be exact then where should I measure the length from, where it exits the receiver case or where it connects to the circuit board inside?
3.6 Inches is an exact length

EDITED DUE TO BRAIN FART

Last edited by Galifrey; 04-25-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The instructions say the following, "If desired, the antenna can be shortened (cut) to exactly 3.6" with negligible loss of range and in some applications the short 3.6" length will make installation easier."

It sounds like you need to keep it the stock length or cut it to 3.6 inches, no inbetween.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

I would like to make it as short as possible but I am understandably nervous about cutting the antenna wire on my brand new Spektrum.

If it does need to be exact then where should I measure the length from, where it exits the receiver case or where it connects to the circuit board inside?
qwiglee I will take a pic on how i did mine and post it later on tonight. All my stuff is at the track so cant do it now
Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I for one am still not convinced of this product being fooll proof in the latest release. I just picked on up last weekend from a large hobby shop (Sh#%@ons) in SJ and was told it was from the latest batch. The system bound perfect to the transmitter and I thought all was fine and dandy until my first time out on the track. When my car made it's way to the back straight, it died and I yelled out dead car (no steering or throttle response) on the back straight before I got pummelled. As the turnmarshal grabbed my car and started walking back to me, I regained control. I thought it must have been a fluke so I rebound the system again in the pits and tried it again. Same results. Even walking away from my car in the pits (less than 100 feet) across the parking lot had the same results. Anybody else have this problem? My system is on its way back to Horizon.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Ld_Tony
I for one am still not convinced of this product being fooll proof in the latest release. I just picked on up last weekend from a large hobby shop (Sh#%@ons) in SJ and was told it was from the latest batch. The system bound perfect to the transmitter and I thought all was fine and dandy until my first time out on the track. When my car made it's way to the back straight, it died and I yelled out dead car (no steering or throttle response) on the back straight before I got pummelled. As the turnmarshal grabbed my car and started walking back to me, I regained control. I thought it must have been a fluke so I rebound the system again in the pits and tried it again. Same results. Even walking away from my car in the pits (less than 100 feet) across the parking lot had the same results. Anybody else have this problem? My system is on its way back to Horizon.
I know it's been said again and again, but have you tried a capacitor?
I was having no troubles until this weekend, where I had the EXACT same thing happen to me as what you describe. My car worked just fine until a crash. It then started hitting the fail-safe every once and a while. After a short dead-car period, (around 5 seconds), it would come back to life. Very odd after having zero troubles with the system for weeks....

Turns out that I had stripped a few teeth off the servo in the crash, and while my servo still worked, it was exceeding the voltage threshold of the receiver while the servo motor was trying to force it's way past the messed up teeth on the servo gears. I put in a new servo and all was back to normal.

So I mention the capacitor to you because perhaps your BEC isn't feeding enough juice to the receiver to get the required voltage? A capacitor will help with this problem. But that's just a guess. Hope you can sort your troubles.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

If the antenna is exiting the case at the top of the Rx and not the side then measuring from the case is close enough. The circuit board sits directly beneath the top of the case, so your 3.6 measurement will be good. If it is out the side then you have to take into account the case length to the hole. It must be cut as close to 3.6 as possible!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Exact means, well, exact. A millimeter either way is not going to make a big difference but remember that a millimeter is like 1/16" (roughly) so it needs to be right there. . .

As I posted earlier, this is because antennas need to be specific lengths because they pick up signals by resonating sympathetically - in other words, the signal causes the antenna to resonate which sends the signal through the antenna to the board. People seem to think that the TIP of the antenna is what receives the signal - it's the entire length.

It has to be certain lengths because those are harmonics of the main wavelength.

A 2 meter wavelength (Ham mobile radio) must have an antenna that is 2 meters long (full harmonic), 1 meter long (half or first harmonic), 2/3 meter long (1/3 or second harmonic), half a meter long (1/4 or third harmonic) or 1/4 meter long (1/5 or fourth harmonic). This is akin to touching a guitar string that has been sounded at the 12th fret (first harmonic) or the 5th fret (fourth harmonic I think - my guitar is at home. . .)

so - follow the directions! 3.6" exactly.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

I had the exact problem you descibe........

Two things here - just because it is from the latest shipment does not "gurantee" that the software is current. I puchased 6 receivers and 4 out of 6 had old software. I know, the QC should have caught that - but it didn't.

Second item - one of my TX Modules (Futaba version) had the antenna not connected correctly internal to the module (per John Adams).

Now for the good news. Since John has serviced these units - they work flawlessly! Yes it has been an inconvenience to send them back to Horizon but John has been very quick and returned the units ASAP to me. It is really neat to not worry about freq conflicts, glitching or any other radio problems since being on Spektrum.

I have these units running offroad and onroad in 1/10 and 1/8 cars, buggies and trucks.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Just as Cartman said, you should try a capacitor.

Many electronics today are pushing the BEC of many ESC's - especially the digital servos. Not sure why the ESC's haven't upped the BEC voltage but. . .

I know guys that won't use certain ESC's with certain servos. I don't remember what they are since it didn't apply to me (thus, I didn't really care aside from the "really? wow, that's wierd. . .") This was using normal receivers (little blue Airtronics ones. .. you know).

so it's not just the Spektrums. they're just shedding light on a larger problem. With the higher capacity servos we're using and the higher drains we're putting on the BEC voltage, ESC makers need to step up. . .
Old 04-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The idea of the cap to help the BEC of the ESC would work ok, but Im using this Spektrum unit in a 5th scale car running 4 servos. 2 for steering and 2 for throttle and brake. Im sure John will take care of me just as he has done to the rest of you.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Boomer

so - follow the directions! 3.6" exactly.
Listen to this man, if you do not believe go look up some 2.4Ghz home made antenna sites (as in wireless networking) - they are not cut to any old length.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

My bad, I misread the info...

On the FAQ it doesnt say exactly.... Thankfully I havent cut mine

And even when you think about it the length is critical as its a tx module as well as an rx module..... brainfart when I posted...

Old 04-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Just the topic I m after. I have decided not to cut the wire but not sure if I still need to use a short antenna tube point up, even it its only 4 inches in length or it doesnt matter.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the thing I don't understand is why it need to be exactly 3.6" when you also have to consider every bend in the antenna. I understand that at 2.4, the bend have a great affect on the attenuation of the antenna, more then the length of the antenna. so if you look at say a 1/12 scale car where the antenna is wrapped around the upright antenna, would the length still need to be exactly 3.6"?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

heres that pic
Attached Thumbnails Spektrum-dscf0103.jpg  
Old 04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Do we have dates on when the optional telemetrys will be available (speed, temp, voltage)??
Old 04-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The idea of the cap to help the BEC of the ESC would work ok, but Im using this Spektrum unit in a 5th scale car running 4 servos. 2 for steering and 2 for throttle and brake. Im sure John will take care of me just as he has done to the rest of you.
I would think you would have no problems with that, your receiver pack should be able to deliver all the amperage you need. The capacitor fix is for speed controls that can't deliver enough amperage for the newer servos.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

The length of an antenna at 2.4ghz is very important, however, if the antenna is very poorly matched to the frequency, it can still function ok, it will just have a reduced range. Coiling up the antenna can radically change it's resonant frequency, coils in fact are used for RF tuning to adjust resonance, but again, it can work no problem coiled up, it just might get glitches from cell phones or pagers if it happens to tune to their frequencies. Bends in the antenna can have some effect but not as much. Note also that the RX property of an antenna is identical to its TX property.

Technically, it is a FCC violation to modify the antenna, funny how they say you can do it in their manual.
But note it is also illegal to change crystals for FM systems. I like how my M8 manual says it is violation of federal law to change them, and then tells you how to change them.

Just a little FYI, hope it helps.
Note our DART system has a tiny 2.5 inch antenna.

Actually, I'm quite interested in the requirement for a large Capacitor with the Spektrum. If you've had to install a cap to get it to work properly, please send me email to website at nimblemotorsports dot com, I'd like you to test our system to see if it has the same problem or not. I have yet to see this problem in our testing.

thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by theisgroup
the thing I don't understand is why it need to be exactly 3.6" when you also have to consider every bend in the antenna. I understand that at 2.4, the bend have a great affect on the attenuation of the antenna, more then the length of the antenna. so if you look at say a 1/12 scale car where the antenna is wrapped around the upright antenna, would the length still need to be exactly 3.6"?
you don't have to consider bends in an antenna. if it crosses itself, that reduces the effective length, but if it coils, it will still resonate in sympathy with the signal - the length is still the same.

I wrap mine around my roll-over and put a plastic body-washer on top so that it stays under the body.

If you've ever seen a 1/12th body cut the antenna that's wrapped around the roll-over. . . well, glitch glitch glitch!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by nimble
Actually, I'm quite interested in the requirement for a large Capacitor with the Spektrum. If you've had to install a cap to get it to work properly, please send me email to website at nimblemotorsports dot com, I'd like you to test our system to see if it has the same problem or not. I have yet to see this problem in our testing.

thanks!
It doesn't take a big cap, a small one works just fine. All it does, essentially, is to smooth out the downward voltage spike when we stab the throttle or the like. This drop in voltage causes the receiver to go into failsafe mode (looks like a reset) for a few seconds.

Some ESC's don't do it - they give more voltage through the BEC circuit.

Using a receiver pack should also solve it - it eliminates the ESC from the BEC circuit.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by howard hudson
heres that pic
Is that the antenna wire wrapped around the base of the antenna?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Yep - he has his antenna wire wrapped around a shortened tube. Very convenient!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

The length of an antenna at 2.4ghz is very important, however, if the antenna is very poorly matched to the frequency, it can still function ok, it will just have a reduced range. Coiling up the antenna can radically change it's resonant frequency, coils in fact are used for RF tuning to adjust resonance, but again, it can work no problem coiled up, it just might get glitches from cell phones or pagers if it happens to tune to their frequencies. Bends in the antenna can have some effect but not as much. Note also that the RX property of an antenna is identical to its TX property.

Technically, it is a FCC violation to modify the antenna, funny how they say you can do it in their manual.
But note it is also illegal to change crystals for FM systems. I like how my M8 manual says it is violation of federal law to change them, and then tells you how to change them.

Just a little FYI, hope it helps.
Note our DART system has a tiny 2.5 inch antenna.

thanks!
Hi, i am having difficulty finding the email address on your site. Please could you PM me with the correct address.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Look at this 5dBi Gain antenna.

You'll notice the coiling of the wire at a precise location which has the effect of actually creating two antennas in phase, which increases the gain. If the coils are not done right, the antenna is not in tune for a specific frequency. You might take this information as an opportunity to put in coils in just the right place and increase the range of your Spektrum...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

You'll notice the coiling of the wire at a precise location which has the effect of actually creating two antennas in phase, which increases the gain. If the coils are not done right, the antenna is not in tune for a specific frequency. You might take this information as an opportunity to put in coils in just the right place and increase the range of your Spektrum...
so where on the spektrum antenna will we need to put the coils and how many?

Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Guys - just cut the wire to 3.6" and be done with it.

This is a topic that has been discussed on the ARL boards for forever. ARL, for those who don't know, is the amateur radio body. If anyone around here would know more than they about practical usage of radio, antenna, etc. I'd like to know who it is.

The crimps, the coils, etc. are there to reduce the physical length of the actuall antenna assembly, not the length of the antenna WIRE.

Let's look at another from hyperlinktech, shall we?

From this, you'd think that the little coil in there is to increase signal strength, etc.

Until you look at the physical size of the antenna. This is a 6" antenna as compared to 10" for the one with the dual crimps. Basically, there is about 4" of antenna that is coiled up to shrink it's length from around 10-11" down to 6".

A longer antenna (lower harmonic) for this is going to be 21" (used for higher gain antenna or marine or places where length doesn't matter so much) - and you can see THOSE there too.

{{sigh}}

This is basic EMF theory. The length of the antenna wire must coincide with a harmonic of the wavelength of the signal in order to get optimal reception. It's as simple as that.

for a 2.4GHz frequency, the wavelength is just over 4" (thus the length of the antenna being 8" is 2x the wavelength which is normal). You could likely use 4.whatever (full wave) and would work great. However, why do that when you can use the 3.6" and be just as good.

the 3.6" antenna length is the 3/4 wave harmonic and is one of the ideal lengths.

Please note - I used a straight 2.4GHz for calculations - I did not get the exact frequencies within that range so numbers are somewhat approximate.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

btw - your 2.5" antenna for the Nimble system would be right at the 1/2 wavelength. I'm not sure if the Spek system would be happy with that length, but theoretically it should be possible.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Boomer, it is ARRL, American Radio Relay League.
Although I did have a previous business manufacturing and selling 2.4Ghz antennas, I will not argue further.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

boomer,

I understand the harmonics and such, but I beg to differ. The coils in the antenna does reduce the effective length of the antenna, but if you were to straighten that coiled antenna out, it would not be the legth of any of the harmonics for what that antenna is tuned to. My point is that the coils and bends do change the attenuation of the wire(antenna) and therefore changes the effective length of the antenna. so the question is to get optimum range would we increase or decrease the length of the spektrum antenna, if we were to coil the antenna as in howard's pic.

and a matter of symantecs, but the antenna accebly for our case is the length of wire, because the actually antenna for the specktrum transciever is the wire and therefor we are talking the same thing. The length of the wire is the length of the antenna assembly itself.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will Spektrum work with KO Propo Mars R?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.