Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
question on electric motors >

question on electric motors

question on electric motors

Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default question on electric motors

I know there had to have been posts about this before, and I searched, but couldnt find anything due to the fact that everytime I searched I came up with like 700-800 posts. My question is about the turns and such of a motor. I know the lower the turns, the faster the motor, but less run time. What I am not sure about is the winds of it. Say I got a 17 turn, what would be the difference if I got a 17 turn single, or double, or triple, or quad? How does the number of winds effect the run time and power? Again, sorry if I am double posting but I could not find any topics about it. So is it better to get singles, or go with double, triple or quads?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

thumpin15s-

Single's having just one wire wrapped around the armature will allow for more torque
Doubles have good torque and are a lil smoother and faster

Triples-These motor's have 3 wires wrapped around them weighing more causing less torque but are smoother and actually have a HIGHER RPM than singles.

Quads are great for slippery tracks or for someone racing mod that doesnt have very good throttle control.Still good torque but just a smoother throttle response and great RPM.

Les
Old 02-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A single will have more torque and a quad will have more top end. Basically, the more wire you put on the arm, the more mass and momentum it will have resulting in more speed....while the less wire, the less mass and therefore more torque.

A single is going to produce more power because the energy only has to travel through one strand, so the resistance is only in one wire......wheras on a quad, the energy has to travel through 4 strands, thus there is more resistance.

I think you'll pretty much the same amount of run-time out of any configuration.....however, the single is a power sucker and if your batteries aren't up to the challenge, a single with on a LOW (key word) turn motor will dump you in the middle of a race. A 17 single is no problem......a 10 single is a ton of power!

So, with a 17, you could really get away with any wind configuration. remember, less winds=torgue.......more winds=top end.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I ask this because I am looking into getting an e-maxx, and want to throw some lower turn motors in it. So would something like a 15 or 16 turn single be decent power/speed and not completely kill my battery? I will also be getting a peak charger so charging shouldnt be a problem. I was also thinking of getting some 3000 mah packs to use.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Single's or Double's are great for Emaxx's.

The runtime with a 15-16 should still be very good.
Grab some 3000 or 3300mah packs and you will be fine and should have a great time.
Les
Old 02-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If runtime is most important and you want to go with that brushed motor setup, maybe look into those new GPs coming out that have more runtime.

Not sure how much you have modded up your E-Maxx but just make sure you strengthen anything you believe will have issues with the extra power.

I have seen an E-maxx on the hot motor setup, very fast.