Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Speedmerchant Rev.4 >

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Old 06-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I had a chance to run my Rev4.5 last night for the first time and I have to say, this is hands down the most amazing car on the market right now. Those of you who know me will agree that I am by no means an incredible wheel but last night I looked like a million bucks! I attached a few pictures of the car for you guys to check out and there's a bunch of little updates over the past year or so that really complement the kit. Bruce deserves a big pat on the back for taking an already proven winner and refining it to be an even better chassis.

First on my car is obviously the 4.5 conversion, the pod went together smoothly and the parts fit well. Overall it's the best innovation yet for the Rev.4. No more struggling to change motors and out of every 4-bolt pod design this one is by far the easiest to solder a motor into. Worth every penny!

Next is the rear tweak brace and large standoffs. I had purchased a kit some time ago and it included the standard tweak brace made of the same thickness carbon as the chassis. Bruce and company saw this part could exhibit flex and over time might be an area of concern. After talking to Bruce he mentioned the updated part which is made of a much thicker carbon so of course I jumped at the idea. Also on my car are the new large standoffs, talk about a SOLID rear end, the added size not only looks cool but it does lend extra support to this critical area of the chassis. If you've got an older car treat yourself with this setup, it's pretty cheap and worth it on the track.

Finally I got a bunch of the new tweak springs. Bruce wasn't kidding when he said these were more consistent and much higher in quality. From the moment you snap these on the retainer you can see the difference and they hang nearly perfect. Toss out the old painted springs and snag a few pairs of these as they are totally worth it.

Sorry for rambling on, but these tweaks all added up to some great runs for me last night at the local track. I went A LAP faster than my best after taking my time freshening the car up with a few new parts!

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Speedmerchant Rev.4-nicksrev4.jpg   Speedmerchant Rev.4-nicksrev4-1.jpg   Speedmerchant Rev.4-nicksrev4-2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Team kwik where did you order you parts from?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by kmorast
Team kwik where did you order you parts from?
Direct from Speedmerchant!

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com

Nick
Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Larry Brown
kmorast- Try this on the Rev. 4:

Jaco pink rear, double pink front tires
.018 front springs
4-6 degrees of caster
1 1/2 to 2 degrees of camber
silver center spring, 25 wt. shock oil
new high quality side springs from Speedmerchant, rate close to blue springs
5mm ride height F&R (lower if traction is really high)
1/2 to 1 mm sag at rear of main chassis when race ready
approx. 1 to 1 1/2 degree droop on rear pod at full shock extension

Should be really good
This is my setup from the Nationals this past week...... obviously that is my Dad posting.

I ran Trinity Red Dot with SXT 2.0 sauce on top. Soaked for about 30 minutes and wiped off. Stuck like velcro. This combination of sauces was good for about 2 tenths a lap faster.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
This is my setup from the Nationals this past week...... obviously that is my Dad posting.

I ran Trinity Red Dot with SXT 2.0 sauce on top. Soaked for about 30 minutes and wiped off. Stuck like velcro. This combination of sauces was good for about 2 tenths a lap faster.

Jeff
Jeff,
Thanks for the sauce help at the Nats with EJ's car. I can vouch for it being the hot setup. Congratulations on the win, you were in a league of your own all week!
O'D
Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any chance the car will be offered with the updates included in the kit?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's what I wanna know
Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Company Representative

Hi Guys,

I just talked to Bruce about this and there will be a full 4.5 kit some time mid summer. All these parts seem more like running changes, for instance the updated thick tweak brace has been included with the kit since around February. Just takes a little while to get things worked in.

In the meanwhile the conversion is there (that's what I picked up) so you don't really have to wait if you have to have it now (that's me).

Nick
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Thanks Nick
Old 06-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

My dad forgot to mention 5,000wt OFNA diff lube in the dampner tubes.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
Direct from Speedmerchant!

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com

Nick
I ordered a Rev 4 + parts direct from them back on 6-13 and have yet to see it.
Hows that for customer satisfaction.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by The Wease
I ordered a Rev 4 + parts direct from them back on 6-13 and have yet to see it.
Hows that for customer satisfaction.
Hi Wease,

I don't know if Bruce made any announcements but he is currently in Italy supporting his team at the worlds. Not sure when they return but he will get you taken care of as quickly as possible i'm sure.

Nick
Old 07-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

this is from the Speedmerchant home page

"The SpeedMerchant crew leaves for the On-Road World Championships in Turin, Italy. We'll be out of the office from Monday June 26th to Wednesday July 12th. All orders placed during that period will be processed on the 13th and go out shortly afterwards. Thank you for being patient. Between the outstanding sales of the Rev 4.5 conversions, and the preparation for the World Championships, we are really struggling to keep up with the shear ammount of orders. All back orders (National & International) either went out today or will go out immediately upon our return home. Have a great week.-Bruce"
Old 07-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

I talked to him last Friday and he stated and I quote " I will mail it out Monday priority mail and you'll have it Wednesday." and obviously I haven't received it. I'm sure it will be taken care of when he gets back.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
this is from the Speedmerchant home page

"The SpeedMerchant crew leaves for the On-Road World Championships in Turin, Italy. We'll be out of the office from Monday June 26th to Wednesday July 12th. All orders placed during that period will be processed on the 13th and go out shortly afterwards. Thank you for being patient. Between the outstanding sales of the Rev 4.5 conversions, and the preparation for the World Championships, we are really struggling to keep up with the shear ammount of orders. All back orders (National & International) either went out today or will go out immediately upon our return home. Have a great week.-Bruce"
Whats that have to do with the order I placed on the 13th of june
Old 07-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WHat did you order I might be able to help you until Bruce gets back. I work closely with Bruce.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys,

Just a quick question.... Did somebody use or try the CRC damper tubes on is Rev4 ?

Let me know

Thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

You can use CRC damper tubes however they have alot more ridges so to acheieve the same dampening affect you will have to use alot lighter weight oil, also if you take a hit they can bend. If you are really set on using them, take a body reamer and ream out the bottom of the tube to keep it from catching or bending there, and they should be dialed.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stormperson
You can use CRC damper tubes however ... also if you take a hit they can bend. If you are really set on using them, take a body reamer and ream out the bottom of the tube to keep it from catching or bending there, and they should be dialed.
Will they bend because of placement on the SM chassis or because they have more rings??

E
Old 07-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EricF
Will they bend because of placement on the SM chassis or because they have more rings??

E
Its the aluminum part that can bend, usually in an accident. The piston has the rings on it, and doesnt seem to have any effect on the aluminum tubes bending. The CRC piston is larger in diameter than SM one so has more surface area in contact with the damper fluid, which IMO is why they will require lighter fluid for the same dampening. FWIW I have and do use CRC tubes on lots of cars (not in my SM cars!) and they almost never bend.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Thanks odpurple...
I was a little confused as to which part bends. I guess tonight I'll check my CRC car tubes to make sure their still sliding true as I have a tendency to have boards jump out in front of my car.
E
Old 07-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Ya, its not that the SM car makes it bend its an impact that does. And I have run them in the past and have been fine for over a year with the same tubes club racing every weekend, so you shouldnt have any issues.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. I use the CRC stuff (light, heavy, super heavy) with the crc damper, what kind of oil you recommand with the Speed Merchant damper, 1/8th diff oil? wich grade?

Thanks

Martin
Old 07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

We used to run Losi hydradrive fluid, but that is kinda hard to come by these days. As of late I have been running 10k weight 8th scale diff oil. Alot of the team played with 30k at cleveland, i didnt like it as I felt it made the car push due to lack of weight transfer. If you want to play around I would generally recommend sticking (no pun intended ) to 7k to around 15K.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Can anyone tell me what the length of the trailing links are (for me to replace with ti links)?

I may order the ti front 8-32 screws while I'm at it—what length is needed from Lunsford for the front blocks?

Can't wait to get this car in my hands...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Can anyone tell me what the length of the trailing links are (for me to replace with ti links)?

I may order the ti front 8-32 screws while I'm at it—what length is needed from Lunsford for the front blocks?

Can't wait to get this car in my hands...

Doug
I use Lunsford 1 3/8" turnbuckles. That length also works for the steering links of you use longer ball cups like RPM. The longest 8/32 screws from Lunsford are 1/2", they work fine for me (I recommend them highly).
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike. I know you told me this info once last year, but I can't find it now, and I finally bought a Rev4.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Mike. I know you told me this info once last year, but I can't find it now, and I finally bought a Rev4.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

I haven't used an old school front end since... well, they weren't old school at the time, and I can't recall how you adjust camber on that front end. Without the car in front of me, how's it done? I'm sure it is simple and I'm going to kick myself when I hear it...

Also, is there a stock carpet setup in this thread somewhere?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I haven't used an old school front end since... well, they weren't old school at the time, and I can't recall how you adjust camber on that front end. Without the car in front of me, how's it done? I'm sure it is simple and I'm going to kick myself when I hear it...

Also, is there a stock carpet setup in this thread somewhere?
Loosen the screws holding the front end on, put a piece of header card/business card/shimstock/lexan between the chassis and the front end on the outside of the screws, tighten the front end screws back down. Adjust the amount of spacers until you get the amount of camber you want.

-james

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.