Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 Turn Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 19 Turn Thread

Well I haven't seen one yet, but if there is a 19 Turn thread, let me know. Here would be the place to discuss 19 Turn motors and racing.

I got a few questions. First, with the Reedy Quad Mag's, what have you guys found to work out the best in terms of springs and brushes? Also, what do you guys think of the new UltraBird?

-Kevin
Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't done this in a while so bare with me!
The Reedy quad seems to like more spring tension, either by bending the stock springs to 180 degrees or using stiffer springs from another brand. Some have tried stiffer on the positive than the negative using 767 on the + and 766 on the - side. I think stiffer on both work the best for me. Last but not least, modifying the face of the brush itself has made a difference also. For example, drilling a hole in the center, serrating the brush after a couple of runs. reducing the surface on the trailing edge,which in turn advances the timing and then there is the Barry Baker trick of serrating a plus on positive side and minus on the negative side. I think he called it polarized brushes.
All these things can help depending on whether you need torque or rpm's. I'm also assuming that the brushes are aligned properly and the endplay is correct and the comm has been trued.
I hope this helps you in your endevore for the need for speed!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

The baker/blackstock polarity brush setup for the quad-mag, used 766's with copperhead springs bent to 180*.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

I didn't have access to the copperhead springs but the modified stock springs seemed to work also, with the 766 brushes
Old 06-30-2004, 01:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default Chameleon 2 Pro

Thanks for starting this thread.

Just received my two Chameleon 2 Pros. Tell me I didn't make a mistake with these motors. Did not apply a lot of thought when I had to choose between these and the Reedy 19T QMag.

I'm racing next weekend, TA04. Laptime with a Monster HP is 21.5 ave, while the current 19T guys are doing 21.3 ave. Can I assume I'll go significantly faster (duh-I know its an obvious answer, but just for kicks, lemme hear it from you guys)

Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Tech Master

It's not always about the motor. I was practicing with my 19 turn when one of my teammates came up from behind, so being the competitor that I am I hit the throttle pulled away in the straight and feeling pretty good until I got into the tight turns then sure enough he was right behind me again. After our batteries dropped off I went into the pits and told him I was holding him off for the most part of the run and he is a very good driver! So I felt pretty good, that is until he said he was using a Monster Stock Motor! Moral to this story is the motor won't make you any faster if you can't utilize the speed!
jst my 2$
Old 06-30-2004, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Kevin ,
See ya saturday ? GEAR UP !
Bob
Old 06-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by maxepower
I haven't done this in a while so bare with me!
The Reedy quad seems to like more spring tension, either by bending the stock springs to 180 degrees or using stiffer springs from another brand. Some have tried stiffer on the positive than the negative using 767 on the + and 766 on the - side. I think stiffer on both work the best for me. Last but not least, modifying the face of the brush itself has made a difference also. For example, drilling a hole in the center, serrating the brush after a couple of runs. reducing the surface on the trailing edge,which in turn advances the timing and then there is the Barry Baker trick of serrating a plus on positive side and minus on the negative side. I think he called it polarized brushes.
All these things can help depending on whether you need torque or rpm's. I'm also assuming that the brushes are aligned properly and the endplay is correct and the comm has been trued.
I hope this helps you in your endevore for the need for speed!
Yeah, I have heard some things about the Polarized brushes. It's a pretty cool trick. Tuning the springs to put out a harder tension also makes sense too, because of the "large style" comm (which naturally produces more RPM) in those Reedys.

Punkynutt, you did not make a mistake. Chameleon 2's are a great motor. That's actually what I just bought the other day!

Bob, yeah, you will see me saturday (most likely). I'm gonna have a new motor (Chameleon 2), so you better watch out! That Xray is going to be more DIALED!

-Kevin
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Chameleon 2 Pro

Originally posted by Punkynutt
Thanks for starting this thread.

Just received my two Chameleon 2 Pros. Tell me I didn't make a mistake with these motors. Did not apply a lot of thought when I had to choose between these and the Reedy 19T QMag.

I'm racing next weekend, TA04. Laptime with a Monster HP is 21.5 ave, while the current 19T guys are doing 21.3 ave. Can I assume I'll go significantly faster (duh-I know its an obvious answer, but just for kicks, lemme hear it from you guys)

Thanks

The biggest mistake I have found running 19t is the gearing. Gear it higher than you gear the stock.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Chameleon 2 Pro

Originally posted by Chill Will
The biggest mistake I have found running 19t is the gearing. Gear it higher than you gear the stock.
Yeah, you can gear MUCH higher than stock!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Kev ,

Put July 18 on your calender , Lazer points race , you are coming with us ! I'm trying to get you out of Livonia to race with more racers , race with the fast guys and you will get faster , not that you aren't fast enough now ...........

Bob
I gear my Lizard 2 , 3 to 4 teeth higher than a monster depending on the layout , see ya sat for your whooppin .... lol
Old 06-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by maxepower
It's not always about the motor. I was practicing with my 19 turn when one of my teammates came up from behind, so being the competitor that I am I hit the throttle pulled away in the straight and feeling pretty good until I got into the tight turns then sure enough he was right behind me again. After our batteries dropped off I went into the pits and told him I was holding him off for the most part of the run and he is a very good driver! So I felt pretty good, that is until he said he was using a Monster Stock Motor! Moral to this story is the motor won't make you any faster if you can't utilize the speed!
jst my 2$
I know what you mean....

My dad's monster stocks ALL pull my Chameleon
Old 06-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by RCsilly
Hey Kev ,

Put July 18 on your calender , Lazer points race , you are coming with us ! I'm trying to get you out of Livonia to race with more racers , race with the fast guys and you will get faster , not that you aren't fast enough now ...........

Bob
I gear my Lizard 2 , 3 to 4 teeth higher than a monster depending on the layout , see ya sat for your whooppin .... lol
Bob, YGM!

-Kevin
Old 06-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, I got a question for all you Chameleon 2 Users! What are the best brushes for this thing? The Pro version comes with 4070's, but how does it react to 4499's? What about 767's? Just let me know your Brush/ Spring setups on these things!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old 06-30-2004, 11:29 PM
PMR
Tech Apprentice

Default Lessen drag brake effect of 19t Qmag

The Reedy Q mags 19T are really awesome but the slight undesirable drag when I'm off throttle coming in the turns makes my pro4's (one way front) rear a little nervous. What can I do to reduce this drag brake effect? I have two thoughts but not sure it will help, reduce spring rate of brush springs or serrate the brushes to lessen the drag. What are your suggestions. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.