Wiki Posts
Search

19 turn setup and brand

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 19 turn setup and brand

Can sombody that knows give me some advise on the best 19 turn motor with locked timing including a brush and spring set up.

Any info would be appreciated as I have never run a 19turn class and I hear my local track is going to run that class this year.

thanks
RandyB
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The hot ticket seems to be the Reedy 19T Quad Mag Motor right now. I have one, had Chameleon's 1 & 2 and the Peak / Orion Dynasty / Element motor and the Quad Mag is my Favorite of them all. Alot faster than the other motors I had.

Our factory driver here for X-Ray runs chameleons and the Quad Mag, he still prefers his chameleons but he has had a lot of time to work on them and get them just right. I think with more time he will make the Quad Mag faster than his fastest chameleon.

I say for the guy who doesn't have the capability to do ultra tuning, the Quad Mag will go the fastest out of the box.

For brush and spring settings, You probably could run the motor box stock and have no problems. The 766 brushes that are included provide a lot of torque and seem to wear forever. You could try heavier springs, purple equivalent all around or purple + / red - works well.

If you want more rpm, the 767s work well too. They seem to work best when they have serrations on them.

personally, for starting out, I would just run the motor as is first and get used to it. Find someone at your track running the same vehicle as you will and if he is running a chameleon motor, start with his gearing and test. You most likely will have to go up a few teeth to get the motor to scream. But at least you will have a good starting point.

If you can, pickup tribo comm drops. They make the comm last al ot longer.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

The reedy quad mag for sure. I cant tune motors so to just be able to drop it in the car and be so fast is a GREAT thing. I've tried the epic quad mag and this motor is WAY better.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

In my 1/12 scale, I use a Reedy 4-mag. 767 brushes, negative spring tweaked slightly softer, brush hoods aligned stright across to the bearing.

Ive been using eth same brushes for 3 weeks now with one cut. They still have serrations. When they wear off I will reserrate. I may also try a small (3/32") hole in the brushes, Ive heard of good results with the hole.

If you use this motor on 6-cell, use the same setup, but go a little stiffer on the springs.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

So it seems as thought the reedy is the motor for 19turn thanks for the help guys
Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RandyB-if the rest of the guys are all running "open" 19 turns-like the Epic Binary Outlaw 19 turn-that motor is REALLY-REALLY fast!!!

The only downside is that its uses those stupid P94 brushes.

Also-A good ole Chameleon C2 is still a great motor.

The good thing about the Reedy 4-mag is its really a smooth accelerating motor to drive and it has, for some reason very little motor braking effect.

Ray
Old 04-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I wonder if the little breaking effect could be due to the magnets?

From what I have heard from the guys at the track, the Binary Quad Mag doesn't run as well as even the chameleons.

From my running my Quad Mag runs well. I had a problem of overgearing at first that was really affecting my motor, used to much brushes too fast. I run 767s exclusively, but I did like the 766s in there, they didn't get beaten up as bad as my 767s did. ( I must run them though, I have like 10 pair )

I would probably just run purples all around on the motor and the stock brushes. You will be happy with that.