Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damb paint keeps chipping.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry Damb paint keeps chipping.

I just bought a RC10 B4. I took over a week to paint the body up all nice with a bright yellow can of spray paint. I t looked great until I rolled the car at the track, now the paint is all cracked and falling off. I painted the underside of the clear body.
How do i paint the body so that it does not chip off ever time the car rolls over?
Do I have to use a special paint. I used a can of Krylon Fusion for plastic. The can says no sanding or priming required.

Please help...
Old 08-04-2003, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The problem is the paint you used, it's not formulated to adhere on polycarbonate (Lexan) plastic. What happens is that the paint can't flex along with the body so it cracks and since it doesn't adhere as well it flakes off.

The solution is to use paint made for use on Lexan. Several companies makes it but if you need spray cans then you should go to your LHS and buy Pactra or Tamiya paints that say for use on polycarbonate or Lexan bodies. If you have an airbrush there are more choices such as Parma's Fascolor, Pactra, Kyosho, Tamiya and Createx.

Another thing you can do is to litlle scuff the inside of the body with steel wool before washing it with dish detergent to remove the moulding release agents. That gives the paint a bit more tooth to adhere better.

Try it again but use the right type of paint. Stay away from hardware store paints since those are mostly enamels and are for exterior use or house walls and trim.

Last edited by AreCee; 08-06-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there any way of geting this paint off or do I have to buy a new lexan body. I can buy a new body from the hobby store but where can i get the stickers that came with my kit? I also used a few Novak stickers that came with my ESC. It there any way of getting new ones from Novak?

Anyway thanks foe the reply, I will buy a can of Tamiya spray paint.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

there are ways of getting it off search through the paint and design section(where this post is ) and you will find answers
Old 08-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Again, go to your LHS and ask them to order a decal set that came with your kit. Associated sells them separately and you can order novak decals as well.

Or go to their web sites and order directly.

Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just like to scuff the inside of my body with 600 grit sand paper. But make sure you don't scuff anywere that you're going to leave clear . Than wash the body after you scuff it to remove any lexan dust and oils from your hands. But you have to use lexan compatible paint, or else none of the things I said above will make much of a difference.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, always roughen the inside of your body up before you paint it. you won't ever be abe to notice the scratches. If your lucky you might be able to take your fingernail and chip the rest off. Worse case scenario you end up with a practice body