Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Maybe you guys can post all the R40 stuff in one place.

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 08-17-2003 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know I'm getting the first one into my LHS...

I love my tc3's....but HPI got me in this hobby(in fact,I just picked up my 18th HPI today,a super nitro rally)....

And if the car proves equally as fast as the Tc3,they will be my car of choice for next years battles...

but it has to be one heck of a car..

so far,it looks like it...

I personally think their will be ALOT of former Tc3,Mugen,Serpent,and whatever drivers on this forum..
Old 07-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by fastharry
I know I'm getting the first one into my LHS...

I love my tc3's....but HPI got me in this hobby(in fact,I just picked up my 18th HPI today,a super nitro rally)....

And if the car proves equally as fast as the Tc3,they will be my car of choice for next years battles...

but it has to be one heck of a car..

so far,it looks like it...

I personally think their will be ALOT of former Tc3,Mugen,Serpent,and whatever drivers on this forum..
At least we can eliminate the problem of part support on HPI. They are very good at making sure lhs has it. Better yet, the Tower Hobbies will be carrying the parts anyway.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

I can feel the love already..

all of us ex pro car owners here together..

you think Manti will sell his beloved Mugen?..
Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by fastharry
I can feel the love already..

all of us ex pro car owners here together..

you think Manti will sell his beloved Mugen?..
don't get to the Mugen one yet, will have to convince him to sell the Hong Nor LD3, first and most important of all.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know i definitely will not be selling my mtx3,but i may still be in the market for one to go next to it.Either a voneR EVO(most probably),team magic car or "maybe" even a snake if the rumours are correct that there is a new one expected at the end of the year.The nitro tourer market is definitely heating up.

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 08-17-2003 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

For all you experienced HPI users, I have some minor questions:

1) Anyone have any experience using "molded adjustment shims?" Do they fall out during a crash? I have a set-up board but if these shims are hassle free then I may switch to this car, pending its performance reviews...

2) How is the durability of HPI plastics? How does it compare to Kyosho's? or any other manufacturer's...?

3) I read in another thread that HPI has some pattern design flaws, what are they usually? (for example:fuel tank design, parts not fitting?, or god forbid suspension design?)

Thanks
Old 07-31-2003, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

rbgti,
Unfortunately, no one here really has the ability to answer your second and third question as the car is not available yet, but it will be shortly. Hold on and the answers will be given, for sure. I would think that the plastic may have been changed from previous models so that it keeps up with the traits of it competitors. And design flaws, again, will only be apparent once the car is released.

And to your first question... what the heck are you talking about? Caster clips?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

The R40 has clips that go on the pivot balls.in different degrees..

you don't need set up tools....just attach(for ex) a 2 degree clip,tighten down,and VOILA!!...2 degree camber..

Pretty trick,righT?
Old 07-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Now that is a really nice feature! Although I have a setup board, it is not very easy to make quick setup changes at the track. These clips are a really good idea from HPI! It is a nice advance over the NTC3 "car width gauge".
Old 07-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Tech Prophet

I'm no expert in HPI and this is what I can answer...
Originally posted by rbgti
2) How is the durability of HPI plastics? How does it compare to Kyosho's? or any other manufacturer's...?
I think the HPI plastics are softer. It looks softer than say when compared to Kyosho's

3) I read in another thread that HPI has some pattern design flaws, what are they usually? (for example:fuel tank design, parts not fitting?, or god forbid suspension design?)
I hear that their parts fitting is excellent on the R40. No filing, no sanding etc needed. All parts fit good on the get go.

The other point which I think a person who would want to take into consideration buying the R40 would be the weight (heavy) and also the somewhat suited for small track gearing ratios the car has
Old 07-31-2003, 09:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply guys...I was actually referring to anyones past history of HPI (regarding question 2 and 3)......how was the plastic strength in their past models? And what were the common design flaws in past HPI models(for ex fit, deterioation, etc)?

And yea regarding Q#1, the convenience of changing your settings in a snap is awsome. Right now, if I have a really heavy crash, I gotta go back to the set-up board and check things again to make sure my settings didn't change....with a snap on shim system, its just snap and go. But I was wondering if anyone has tried this before with the HPI SS model....what are you opinions of this setting system....

Thanks again to those who responded to my inquiries. This car's set up features has really got me thinking about replacing my VoneR.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply guys...I was actually referring to anyones past history of HPI (regarding question 2 and 3)......how was the plastic strength in their past models? And what were the common design flaws in past HPI models(for ex fit, deterioation, etc)?

And yea regarding Q#1, the convenience of changing your settings in a snap is awsome. Right now, if I have a really heavy crash, I gotta go back to the set-up board and check things again to make sure my settings didn't change....with a snap on shim system, its just snap and go. But I was wondering if anyone has tried this before with the HPI SS model....what are you opinions of this setting system....

Thanks again to those who responded to my inquiries. This car's set up features has really got me thinking about replacing my VoneR.
Historically HPIs plastics are not up to the rigors of nitro racing. All of the RS4 series 2 and 3 cars are moderately strong, nothing like a pivotball car however. Their design is not up with the new standards and they are not as adjustable. My Racer 2 used to kill rear belts like nobodys business due to rocks (on a pretty clean track!) and the outdrives used to chip within 10 tanks. I could go on and on.

I am just sore at HPI in general (if you could not guess ) cause I was too stupid to realise their cars are not race cars.

My Racer 2 after 9 months of "development" turned a 16 second lap at best. My V1R 2 years ago went 14.5 on its maiden voyage. This was back when you raced on rubber in gas classes. If you slapped some foam on board all cars become more equal.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

aaahhhh

thank you, not that i was looking for a bad response, but this type of experience is what i was looking to read about...

thanks...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

aaahhhh

thank you, not that i was looking for a bad response, but this type of experience is what i was looking to read about...

thanks...
Before all the HPI supporters come and bash me my above post has nothing to do with the NEW HPI car which I know nothing about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.