Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Pro racers and their Radio/Frequency Choice >

Pro racers and their Radio/Frequency Choice

Pro racers and their Radio/Frequency Choice

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Pro racers and their Radio/Frequency Choice

With the arrival and claims of new 2.4 systems, I see top level racers such as Adam Drake.... and others whose names I don't know running on 27mhz or 75mhz FM.

With them being pro drivers, what are the advantages of staying on this frequency band?

2.4ghz systems 'claim' to be faster, glitch free, etc. To me it makes sense to be on 2.4 ghz, but I see otherwise on top level racing. Specifically at the JBRL series, I saw lots of long extended antennas on the expert class drivers stand as opposed to the 2.4 nubby antennas.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
With the arrival and claims of new 2.4 systems, I see top level racers such as Adam Drake.... and others whose names I don't know running on 27mhz or 75mhz FM.

With them being pro drivers, what are the advantages of staying on this frequency band?

2.4ghz systems 'claim' to be faster, glitch free, etc. To me it makes sense to be on 2.4 ghz, but I see otherwise on top level racing. Specifically at the JBRL series, I saw lots of long extended antennas on the expert class drivers stand as opposed to the 2.4 nubby antennas.

Thats a great question. I was wondering the same thing. I was in the market for a new radio, but then i noticed top level drivers still using the 75 MHZ radios. I currently have a futaba 3PDF. I know old skool right? its FM thought 75 MHZ. Is there really any huge benifit to upgrade to one of the 2.4 GHZ systems? I am by far no Pro and even though I love the sport of 1/10th onroad touring I do not need the top of the line gear to compete and have fun in my neck of the woods in South Jersey. So any insight on this would be awesome.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Like all things digital, the 2.4GHz systems are much more complex than old-fashioned analog, and thus require processing time, mainly when converting digital signals to analog waves and back.

Although minimal (calculated in the milliseconds) this still adds a delay to the controller's signals, and while the general population racing RC cars may not notice or care, the upper tier rely on precise movement and split-second timing when controlling their car, and do notice anything that is off from their well-rehearsed routine. Often they'll find they're going wide on every corner because in their minds, when they move the wheel at this precise spot, the car should react accordingly. Even 3-4 milliseconds can throw this off, especially dealing with speeds in Mod.

If you're concerned about the delay in a 2.4GHz system, just switch to a servo that's .01s faster than your current one. the .01s difference of a faster servo will more than offset the .003s delay.

I think "Faster" is a relative term when it comes to 2.4GHz systems.. The newer ones (DSSS, FASST and Spektrum Pro) are "Faster" than the original Spektrum system, but are still calculating time in terms of "added delay" to an analog radio.

I've never tried Spektrum or any 2.4GHz system myself, but I don't think I will be doing so anytime soon. Not that I'm good enough to notice a few milliseconds added to my reaction time, but since everyone else around me seems to be switching over (at least 50-60%), it leaves me with a lot more choices of frequencies on my 75MHz band!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The simple answer is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". A lot of the Pros are indeed using 2.4GHz since they are being paid to use them. However, there are some that are more traditionalist and will use the sponsor's radio but with their old tried and true modulation. For example; Lance Armstrong, who has won 7 Tour de France races in a row, rides on the newest and most advanced cutting edge equipment in the world but he prefers 20 year old pedals. Why? It's a comfort zone thing, he feels that it works for him so the team scours the earth looking for old but never used Dura-Ace pedals. Call it Superstitious.

I bet Drake and the others still using 27 and 75 are doing it because it's in their comfort zone. I do know that many other Pros use 2.4GHz and win so it's not a time lag issue.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

I had the same question. At the carpet nats last year I asked some of the top 12th scale guys that I have known for 15+ years, including a previous nats champ that made both A mains he entered. The answer was it's not broken, they have a LOT of track time invested with what they have. Right or wrong, they are used to it, comfortable, and it works. Just like nimh batteries and brushed motors, the fast guys don't appear to embrace change very quickly as long as they are still winning.

But I'm pretty sure it will change with time, even though I agree from a purely theoretical view that analog should be at least capable of being faster, as no switching speed or processing is involved. I have the privilege of watching the "Prince of RC", Dakotah Phend, on a near weekly basis. This young multi time national champ has reflexes that are simply incredible. Maybe not as smooth yet as some of the more experienced drivers, but again his reflexes are unbelievable, as good of a real world test of radio speed, including that he's on sliding around on dirt, as I have ever seen. More than I could imagine even. He tried a DX3R on one ride, and has been using it on everything that I can tell ever since. It is an absolute blast to watch his car wiggle around, and mostly stay right on line while doing it. So I would suggest the radio is not holding him, or certainly any of us, back at all.

By the way, he is also a great person, as are both of his parents.

Last edited by Dave H; 04-28-2008 at 11:47 AM.