Wiki Posts
Search

Novak 1/8th Scale Electric Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Default Novak 1/8th Scale Electric Conversion Kit

Convert Your Nitro Buggy to Electric!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitro enthusiasts who want to join the brushless revolution can now convert their 1/8th- scale nitro buggy to electric powered using the Novak 1/8th-scale Conversion Kit. Kits are available for various models of Kyosho™, Mugen™ and Ofna™ vehicles, and include all of the necessary components to convert it to brushless power.

Nitro customers who have never run brushless will now experience longer run times, minimal maintenance, low-end torque and control and incredible top speed.

The Novak Conversion Kit is compatible with the Novak #3020 and #3021 HV High-Voltage Brushless Systems, and is available individually or as a combo kit with these systems. The kit includes a Motor Heat Sink and Motor Mount specifically designed for the Novak 550-size HV motors; Two Battery Boxes for dual 2S Li-Po packs or dual 6-cell Ni-MH packs; and a Steering Servo Mount (replaces dual servo mount set-up as the mechanical brakes and brake servo are no longer needed). Kit includes all the necessary Hardware to complete the conversion.

Kyosho™, Mugen™ and Ofna™ are registered trademarks in the U.S. and certain other countries.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, when is novak going to release the first 1/8th electric buggy from a factory?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:38 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

its cool, however the track near me already said they wont be allowed to run with the nitros

R
Old 11-22-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks like 1/8th electric will be going mainstream!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Looks good but I've read over on the Electric conversion thread that the Novak might not work too well. That was a while back though. Maybe Novak has changed the system since then? Or is this the same HV system as used in the crawlers? Or has this been changed to be designed to run the 1/8 specifically? I think I'm still going the "BAD BOY" route and using the Mamba Max and NEU motors.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

The sintered rotor in Novak motors have made the system more reliable and I believe the HV series motors are going to upgrade to a 5 mm shaft soon. Probably come out about the same time the conversion kit is up for sale.

Maybe Charlie or Novak Too can add more to this?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

well, I hope they have found a way to keep the temps down. I built a hyper-7 using the hv system and to gear it to run with normal nitros (not the fastest ones) it would thermal in seven minutes without (2)extra motor fans. Running a different setup now with no problems.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

If it doesn't come with a 5mm shaft, it's just about worthless. Even if it does come with a 5mm, the HV-Maxx is not well suited for this application. I have run it and it will work with some help. I will say this to anyone considering this system. GET THE 6.5. The 4.5 gets way too hot with little "speed" benefit. Personally, I think this is a cheesy effort on Novak's part. Not well thought out.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by happywing
If it doesn't come with a 5mm shaft, it's just about worthless. Even if it does come with a 5mm, the HV-Maxx is not well suited for this application. I have run it and it will work with some help. I will say this to anyone considering this system. GET THE 6.5. The 4.5 gets way too hot with little "speed" benefit. Personally, I think this is a cheesy effort on Novak's part. Not well thought out.
I think you ought to wait until there's some actual information on it. They've had prototypes up for at least 6 months and they've been working on it for quite a while longer than that. There's some other stuff in their kits that you can't necessarily see in the photo.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I think you ought to wait until there's some actual information on it. They've had prototypes up for at least 6 months and they've been working on it for quite a while longer than that. There's some other stuff in their kits that you can't necessarily see in the photo.
If they don't improve the esc and cooling on the motor it won't work as well as the systems happywing and I use.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

After you have ran NEU motors, EVERYTHING sucks lol (going by your sig)

Novak needs to re make the HV motor IMO, its not bad, but they need a bigger shaft, bigger rotor dia, lower KV models, higher voltage (6s, or atleast 5)
Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I really hope this works well, I'd love to give some electric 1/8th off-road a try. I'm sure Novak is aware of the problems people have encountered, and will hopefully fix them for release. Bringing the product to market means they'll probably stay on top of improving and updating it, which is exciting since it means development will continue.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I really hope this works well, I'd love to give some electric 1/8th off-road a try. I'm sure Novak is aware of the problems people have encountered, and will hopefully fix them for release. Bringing the product to market means they'll probably stay on top of improving and updating it, which is exciting since it means development will continue.
I do know that it was supposed to have a slipper in it...which if you think about it...is very much required on all other 4wd electric cars to keep the drivetrain happy. I think that would go a long way towards making the shaft size a non-issue.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

From what little I've read, I understand the 5mm shaft size to be the "common" size. If companies make other sized then we need more pinions to choose from. For now a company called Century (and others) make MOD 1 pinions to fit the motors being used right now. If Novak uses a different size then things will start getting all mixed up.

I wouldn't think the strength or fatigue would be an issue. But, I've been wrong a lot. LOL. I just see it as a convenience thing cause those pinions are not cheap. It's like buying a different clutch bell. Do I really have too?......well.......OK.......I might as well get one to try. They are with in a few bucks of each other--MOD 1 pinions to clutchbells. On the other hand, Novak motors might use pinions that are cheaper. That would be cool too.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

OK you guys. Novak with sintered rotors are a different system than the old bonded rotor motors.

I built an 1/8 scale buggy over 3 years ago with a Schulze 40.160 (huge ESC) with a Hacker C50-10XL motor that I used a 2 Thunder Power li-pos that would be a TP8000-6S4P that blew the center diff out everytime I ran after I fixed the pinion gear tore up every run with some custom made ones.

Technology with batteries and BL systems have come along way since then. Novak has improved on the HV Max and I am sure the 5 mm shaft will be the final upgrade to make it a very good choice.

I used to be a big Schulze/Plettenberg fan until Novak added the sintered rotor to it's motors and I will never go back to racing with sensorless systems again. Sensored dominates the BL racing world and Novak will lead the way with this new conversion kit. Novak will bring more in to Electric 1/8th scale because it is a widely recognized name in the RC industry.

Thank you Novak!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.