Wiki Posts
Search

XXX Main Chassis setup book

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default XXX Main Chassis setup book

Hi Guys,

Need some help here, saw the XXX MAin Chassis setup book, are they any good? Do they teach you anything at all??

Could one be good enough to be competitive? (after reading and following the book).........

Cos I real sucs with my setup of the touring car ..... or is it jus another read and chuck book?

Thanks Y'All!
Old 04-25-2003, 07:29 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...ide_tsr6.shtml
Old 04-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

any setup info that helps is worth it
Old 04-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I think that it is worth it and I am not just saying that because we sell it. There is so much information to setting up a car that it is in there that it is sometimes hard to remember when you are at the track. Just open the book and look for what you want to do and you are all set. Martin Crisp did an excellent job on it, in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: XXX Main Chassis setup book

Originally posted by marzin
Hi Guys,

Need some help here, saw the XXX MAin Chassis setup book, are they any good? Do they teach you anything at all??

Could one be good enough to be competitive? (after reading and following the book).........

Cos I real sucs with my setup of the touring car ..... or is it jus another read and chuck book?

Thanks Y'All!
Another good reading is the Xray T1 setup book (.pdf format). It will tell you what adjustments will affect what. It will give you the basics that you need. Best of all, it's FREE (to download)!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:13 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I have the XXX Main book too, it's a good guide. There are some things in it that I wish they had presented differently, but really, you can't go wrong with it at all.

There are also some less-detailed guides around the web, and some really detailed ones that are car-specific. Still, the general tuning info in any of the car-specific ones will work just fine on any comparable TC.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default XXX Main Chassis setup book

Newbe or Experienced, the Book is great. Explains everything for the Clueless and is a quick reference guide for when the mind starts to go. (like me)

Very fast shipping if you order online.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

hello fren,
the book is good, no doubt!!! but ultimately it'll still depends on yr own hands to drive the car, some hand tuning needed (practice) in order to get better. my $0.02...

Hi Guys,

Thanks Y'All!
Old 04-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

hello fren,
the book is good, no doubt!!! but ultimately it'll still depends on yr own hands to drive the car, some hand tuning needed (practice) in order to get better. my $0.02...

Hi Guys,

Thanks Y'All!
Old 04-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Y'all for the reply!

I have got the Xray book too, it basically tells what each adjustment does for your car ie camber, castor etc....
Thats it....

What I am hoping to learn is..... if lets say for example I need more 'on power steering' what should I do first ? tighten the differential as a first step..... or second you can....etc etc

something like this if you get my drift ...

Yes I quite new at this setup thingy.....hopefully the XXX book helps in this area , or it is this that you guys are trying to tell me??

btw Great stuff from XXXmain ..... xxx gals stickers!! let me have 'em, let me have 'em!
Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: XXX Main Chassis setup book

Hi there!,

point taken, but if skills are on par...... the superior car wins......
, it works vice versa

Happy Racing!

Originally posted by alana07
hello fren,
Old 04-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Tech Initiate

I have this book and I must say it should be required to be sold with every sedan!!!!

Like most of us we have tried to use the guides that are put out by the magazines but most of the time there is just not enough info and you have to be a rocket scientist at times to know which way to go. But this book helps by first telling you the 6 most common problems you will faces in corners,then it tells you how to cure them. Also the book is organized into three chapters or three levels of tuning.

Level one is made up of all the changes that make huge changes to the handling ie the car is driveable but still is a handful to drive. Level two helps to make the car more managable and is more along the lines of fine tuning and level three is where you start to shave seconds off your times.

It is well worth the 20 bucks I paid and I recommend it to everyone I meet that wants to make there car easier to drive.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

What I am hoping to learn is..... if lets say for example I need more 'on power steering' what should I do first ? tighten the differential as a first step..... or second you can....etc etc
I aint got the book, so I cant comment on it.

Here's what I do, if I need to achieve a certain handling, for example, more on-power steering:

With a guide like tha XRay T1, I look it throug, and on a paper (or in my head) I list all the options I have for increase on-power steering. Like this:

One-way diff.
Droop.
Ackerman.
Kick up.
Castor.
Diff tightness.
Maybe more.

Then I try figure out, what's best suited for me:

Droop and castor are usually easy to change, so that'll probably be the forst things to try out, one at a time.

In this case, I already know the one-way are the best solution for me. But If I do know I simply need brakes or dont have the money, then it's not an option.

Diff tightness, I dont believe in it, because it's about reducing effiency in the diff. And I dont want in effiency.

As far as I've read (havent tried it yet), Ackerman is more about turning in, than out.

It do require time, but I believe that you in many cases can narrow down the options to try out, by reading and logical thinking.

However, there's no replacement for experience !

A guide I find usefull: Setup guide

Especially this particular section.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

I have the version that was sold just prior to it going to XXX-Main (still kinda bummed about that. I coulda gotten a 50% discount to get a new one with only about 5% new material. . .oh well)

Just a little more info for you. MCrisp puts all of RC into one language, weight transfer - how much and how fast. This completely works and makes talking and thinking about RC a LOT easier, for instance (RL example)-

I'm breaking loose when I hit the gas coming out of the turn. What is wrong? He would give a couple of choices but primarily it is that I'm either transferring too much weight rearward under accelleration or transferring it too fast. Try upping the rear spring one step OR upping the rear shock oil one notch.

In my case it was the rear shock oil. The car was hooked EVERYWHERE but coming out of the turns. Droop was fine, RH was fine, etc. and he takes these into consideration.

It's a great booklet.