Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12v power supply...DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default 12v power supply...DIY?

i was looking at power supplies...and they are pretty expensive...then i looked into DIY power supplies...pretty easy to make...just need to get all the right stuff!...then i found out they only provide 1-3amps...then i looked more into it...and found a 34amp 12v power supply...its made from those computer power supplies!
here are 2 pix

pretty neat ehh?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Link with instructions?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

i just made my own...it pushes out 29A
Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Initiate

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply
Old 04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

topekoms:

I just tried to make my own and I think I blew it up.
Mine looks just like the one you see in the picture there. I think the directions on that site don't particularly work for that specific PW. Can you tell me how you wired yours?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i turned a 350w supply, to just use 12, 12amps. i didnt know you could get 30 amps out of it! can you? would connecting the red to the blue ( with a load in between, of course) give you the 30 amps? thanks.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

topekoms, show us how its done.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Just in case any of it helps;

Some PSU's require a load on some of the voltage lines to make the DC output smooth and within tolerance.

Skiddins
Attached Thumbnails 12v power supply...DIY?-extended%2520atx%2520connector.jpg   12v power supply...DIY?-atx%2520connector%2520wiring.jpg   12v power supply...DIY?-atx%2520connector.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here is my supply, it supplies 12volts at 12 amps, and only requires removing of wires, and connecting the green wire to ground. i did this myself, without any online help.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topekoms
i was looking at power supplies...and they are pretty expensive...then i looked into DIY power supplies...pretty easy to make...just need to get all the right stuff!...then i found out they only provide 1-3amps...then i looked more into it...and found a 34amp 12v power supply...its made from those computer power supplies!
here are 2 pix

pretty neat ehh?

I bought one of that guys power supplies and he does great work for a great price I would definatly buy from him again
Old 04-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Be warned guys.... Those sort of modded PC Power Supplies are banned from use here in Aus. They rarely meet the appropriate electrical standards and are prone to going bang....
I know its tempting because they're so cheap, but they're rather dangerous. Anyone here turns up with one they get sent home.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Be warned guys.... Those sort of modded PC Power Supplies are banned from use here in Aus. They rarely meet the appropriate electrical standards and are prone to going bang....
I know its tempting because they're so cheap, but they're rather dangerous. Anyone here turns up with one they get sent home.
I think they may only be banned in some states - there are certainly a few guys in QLD that use them without problems. My original one, built in Aug 2004, is still running strong - never had any trouble.

I think the main problem with attempting these conversions is people over-estimating their abilities - I have said it many times - You should not attempt to modify a PC power supply unless you have the appropriate skills and knowledge.

But overall it is similar to many other types of possibly dangerous machinery or equipment - if you fail to heed the warnings about the dangers then you only have yourself to blame when everything goes wrong.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony gray

Yes its true that some of these power supplies rarely meet the electrical standards but not all of them.......mostly those cheap power supplies that are made in China are the dangerous ones......

And those numbers on the power supply such as the Wattage rating should not be taken seriously......as long as you dont overload them to the near limit, then the power supply would be just fine.....