Wiki Posts
Search

Cal-Coast Racing League

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Cal-Coast Racing League & Tri-County Points Series

Hello Racers,

Most of you already know that Fastlap Hobbies is out of business. Chris, Brian and Mark are going to continue the racing program under the new name of Cal-Coast Racing League. The first race is Sunday, February 25th. For the 2007 season we want to host 14 regular races and 3 two-day events. We will run local races at Nipomo High School and also host the traveling Tri-County points series.

To succeed we will need the support of all of our racers. The racing program needs to support itself and generate income for future upgrades. We have already provided a lot of equipment and time to run the races. We have purchased the insurance for this years racing program. Participation is needed from at least 4 to 6 regular racers who can help with track prep and takedown, 1 to help with the Website and photography, and 2 who can help at the 2-day races. All helpers will get free racing. The rest can help by attending and promoting our racing program. We need you to help recruit both new and experienced drivers. Participation in this online forum is helpful in generating and maintaining interest in our program. If you attend other races, talk about our racing program, get e-mail addresses to add to our mailing list or hand out flyers for our upcoming events.

Race fees will be $15 for the first class, $10 for a second class and $5 for the third class. Two-day event fees will be $25 for the first class, $15 for the second class and $10 for the third class. We can no longer offer nitro classes because our track does not meet safety requirements for nitro cars.

Those of you interested in racing or helping, please contact Mark, Chris or Brian.

Thank you,

Mark Cziraki [email protected] (805) 709-7055
Chris Bailey [email protected] (805) 550-4442
Brian Poudrette [email protected]

Last edited by FastlapMark; 03-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Correct me if I am wrong. FastLap raced in Pismo Beach area high school and came as far south as Freedom Park to race in a series. Word did not get out until well after the sereies came and left. Some of us race in Los Angeles and south of it. When you come out to Freedom Park or even towards Pasadena I believe you guys come to. Can you post in advance to notify everyone of your series. It was last a minute notification for last year's events. It gets hard to convince the family on a last minute notice. Just a thought. Thanks and good luck to you guys that took over the program, Paco.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that's great news. hopefully the losi will be out by then.

question regarding brushless: will the 4300 (stock) and 5800 (19t?) be allowed to compete in the corresponding brushed classes if there are not enough for separate classes? i think with a new car i will be ready to commit to brushless as well. the equality and lack of maintenance associated with brushless will hopefully make it the popular choice.

thanks, gw
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey GeeDub,

Are you playing w/ Brushless?

So far we're seeing the 4300 is really close to 19t in On-Road, and 2 laps faster in Oval in the best scenario.

I haven't looked at the SNOWBIRDS Qualifying for On-Road (Not sure if they are running a B/L onroad class or not.)

Here is the OVAL Expert 19 vs the 4300 B/L top 3 qualifiers.

19t Expert (Handout Ultrabird Motor I believe)

Adam Liehr 58 4:00.56
Sean Cochran 58 4:01.21
Michael Valentine 58 4:01.53

4300 B/L

Sean Cochran 60 4:02.23
Frank Ulbrik 60 4:02.51
Andy McClellan 60 4:04.04

I'm just starting to play with it a bit for the Oval Cars...the guys who tested and ran it last year LOVE it.

Wow...watching the On-Road "A" Main for the 19t foam cars at the birds...I could not believe the difference in qualifying between the 19t foam cars and the 19t rubber class... close to 3 1/2 laps quicker on foam.

Last edited by SWTour; 02-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gee-dub
will the 4300 (stock) and 5800 (19t?) be allowed to compete in the corresponding brushed classes if there are not enough for separate classes?
thanks
The 4300 is closer to 19T. 13.5 is closer to stock. The 5800 is closer to 17T. Just so you know.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

Lets get some racing. The weather god better be with us.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Is the question about brushless/brushed motors in what classes going to be addressed before the first race? It would be good to get some rules established regarding this as many I am sure have the same question.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Bueller
Bueller
Bueller........
Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Ran our B/L 5.5 at Bending Corners Carpet track yesterday...for our OVAL DAY... WOW Was I overgeared... Thermal Shutdown at 3:45 in heat one..and 4:10 in the second. (What a kick it was until then though...)

I think the 4300 and the 19t's would work together just fine on the Local Level until there are enough of both to seperate. A good driver w/ a 19t w/ beat the pants off a mediocre driver w/ 4300. Head to Head, I would say the 19t guy will have an advantage if he has a really good roll-out, where as the 4300 guy might take a few races to nail the rollout perfectly.

There is NO B/L that will work as a STOCK replacement unless you want to try the ROCK CRUSHER motor. A 13.5 will run just about as fast as a 4300 on a 6 cell pack. (There is only about 10 watts different in power...and about 1000 RPM per volt difference. So you'd need to get the 13.5 up probably about 5 teeth higher.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Racers,

The first race of the season is this Sunday the 25th! Remember we are now racing at Nipomo High School. Track is open for practice at 9am, racing starts at 10am. Please register online at our new website. The Fastlap registration site will be shutdown soon. We still need volunteers for track setup, contact us if you can help.

Online Registration Link

All classes are electric only.
Stock Sedan
19trn Sedan
Mod. Sedan
12th Scale 19trn
Stock Oval
19trn Oval

Rules & Class Information:
Bodies must be class specific. Batteries up to 4300mh, 6cells for sedan, 4cells for oval & 12th scale classes.Li-Po packs are only allowed in Mod Sedan. No weight, ride height or wing restrictions. Stock motors can be any 27x1 turn 24 degree fixed timing with bushings. 19trn sedans can use any 19x1 turn 24 degree fixed timing with laydown brushes. 19trn oval & 12th scale cars can use any 19x1 motor. Modified sedans can use any brushed or brushless motor. No hybrid motors. All motors must have tagged armature. Rubber tires only for sedan classes.

See you all Sunday!

Mark
Chris
Brian
Old 02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gee-dub
that's great news. hopefully the losi will be out by then.

question regarding brushless: will the 4300 (stock) and 5800 (19t?) be allowed to compete in the corresponding brushed classes if there are not enough for separate classes? i think with a new car i will be ready to commit to brushless as well. the equality and lack of maintenance associated with brushless will hopefully make it the popular choice.

thanks, gw
Gee-Dub

I do not know much about brushless systems and will need more info before they can be used in stock & 19trn classes. I would like to see a Mod. Sedan class run at all events. We need expert drivers that are running Stock & 19trn to start running 19trn & Mod. Maybe we can get the Mod. class going this Sunday if we can get enough drivers to commit.

Count me in for Mod. Sedan.
Mark
Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Who's racing?

Alright, I don't know what to think about the mod sedan class. Mark, whats your reason for the push for a mod class? Just wondering.

Who's going to make it this weekend? Blake, George, Jay, Jeff, anybody from SB, Camarillo?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

...granted, I'm NOT much of a sedan driver and usually chose not to run them...and I'm not really much of an oval driver either, but I do chose to run MOD at most of the places I run oval...

I can say that unless it's planned to really change the layout of the local track, I personally think if you go MOD vs. STOCK you will lose ALL your racers, cause most will chose to NOT break their cars.

MOD racing does NOT make for GOOD racing....BAD Racing does NOT make for a Good Show. GOOD Close racing is exciting to participate in...as well as watch. LEAVE the Mod. class for the IIC and Reedy Race of Champions and concentrate on building a good local group of racers who can race and have a good time.

Just my .02c
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Why mod??

Why have a mod sedan class? Here are some reasons why we are considering running a
mod class at our local events.

1. We have had repeated interest in this class. There are several racers
that have the skills to run a very competitive mod class. We would like to
see more highly skilled racers at our 2-day events and this is what they are
looking for.
2. Our racing classes are based on car/motor type and not ability. One
should dictate the other. We are asking to state your ability at sign in.
This allows us to group like drivers together. Unfortunately with only two
classes, this has led to a group of highly skilled racers having to compete
with less experienced racers. By providing a separate class for only the
highly skilled racers this should no longer be the case.
3. A separate venue for the highly skilled drivers will also open the door
for the less skilled drivers to move up into a second class, giving
everybody a chance to drive more. Every one knows the best way to become a
better driver is to drive more.
4. Along with the addition of a mod class, we have also been considering an
earned entry policy. To race 19t you will need at lease three top five
finishes in stock A-mains. To race mod you will need at least three top
three finishes in the 19t A-mains. This process of earned entry into a class
will guarantee fair competitive racing for everyone. For the start of the
season we will refer back to last season and allow any new comers a chance
to qualify by stated skill level. We will resort any racer based on
performance at our discretion.
As always, and as it has always has been, this is racing for racers by
racers! Track meetings and popular vote will always decide policy. If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to contact one of us.

Thanks

Brian Poudrette [email protected]
Mark Cziraki [email protected] (805) 709-7055
Chris Bailey [email protected] (805) 550-4442
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

...brian/mark

Don't get me wrong about Modified Racing...I'm not against having a MOD. class if racers "WANT" a MOD class.

But, the idea of forcing someone to move to a class they don't normally run just because they can drive that class...is kind of silly. Now, seperating the Less experienced from the More experience within the same class is a totally different matter, but if you've only got 1/2 dozen guys in a particular class...you can't really even do that.

Something that cause me to stop running my touring car in AG was for MY Road Racing level...the track was too technical and I wasn't having fun.

IF you want the local Central Coast racing to grow...you need to

A) Make it FUN*
B) Create a Schedule in favor of your LOCAL Racers needs
C) Don't try to rely on 2 day events, and/or trying to get guys from L.A. and Nor. Cal. to support your events. They may come...but that may cause your locals to NOT show up. (Look at last year really close)

*NOTE: On making it fun. A technical track is fun and can be fast, but the lanes need to be wide enough that an average or mid level driver can have room for mistakes. The local track does NOT need to be 2000' long and 8' wide. Give a little wider lanes, wider turns, less turns...

A note on the OVAL class. If we only have 8 OVAL entries...Don't put us ALL in a single heat. Break the group into smaller qualifiers and stack the main. This gives everybody a chance for a clean qualifier instead of total destruction in a heat race. This might add ONE extra race to the program, adding 20 -30 minutes to the overall program, but it will help keep it FUN and Enjoyable. This isn't quite as important in the On-Road since staggered starts are used and the cars have the opportunity to get spread out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.