Whats the best 4WD buggy out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best 4WD buggy out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Whats the best 4WD buggy out there?

What do I buy.. what do I buy... what do I buy... :S

(I've put GBP but im guessing $ is roughly double the £)

Hopped up (Atomic carbon etc) Lazer zx-5
BJ4 Worlds Edition
Yoke MR4 BX
Tamiya TRF501X
TTech X10
Hopped Losi XX4
SBV2 PRO
Something else?

They all seem to have their pros and cons. The lazer is said to break easy but is quite cheap now. The BJ4we costs around £260 which isnt cheap but its the proven champ atm. The Yoke is the tank of 4WD but its V Expensive and parts are hard to find and it has an exposed drive train. The new Tamiya looks sweet and costs £228 from rc champin Japan but its not proven and does it have cons? The x10 seems a nice design but all the others seem more appealing. The Losi XX4 is good for parts but its getting past by newer and better buggys?

Whats the best all round 4WD out there at the moment? Possibly list them as 1, 2, 3, and a brief pro and con (If you disagree with mine just stick it into your pros and cons to stop it turning into a debate)

My list keeps changing mainly between 1 and 2 but atm I'll go for

1. BJ4we (Proven buggy and possibly worth that little bit more £££££)
2. Tamiya TRF501X (Looks really nice and a bargain at 228 from Japan (Alot cheaper than the similar design Yoke but not proven)
3. Yoke MR4 BX (Proven but costs to much for the kit £300+ and parts are hard to find)

Whats yours?

Last edited by Orsm; 01-17-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Suspended

my opinion would be the bj4we. that what i have run for three years now, first edition and now the we. not sure how parts is in uk. the yoko is a good car also and very similar to the bj. i wouldn't by anything tamiya as with all their stuff it costs you more to upgrade and make it durable than the car costs. at least with the bj all upgrades are their, the only thing i recommend that you do is put in the one nitro front diff from the tc3 or tc4 either one will fit. better off power steering.

but since your in the uk the predatorx10 i think would be a good option as well. one was sent over here to a top pro at my local track and he ran it few times. it sure looked good. but for the u.s. parts is a big problem for them. plus not many pros actually none that i know of race it here, so no set-up help either. by the way the pro i saw run it, was in the top three of the last electric off road worlds race in '05. but it was a little weak in the rear diff area as it keep stripping out the gears, it couldn't handle much power. but it also was a first run car and that may have been fixed by now.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

www.doasearch.com (not a real URL)

This has been asked at least a billion times, and amazingly everytime it gets tons of relpies. Basically get what you can get parts for, what suits you budget, and what other people are racing locally so you share setups. 95% of race cars out there are good. The Kyosho ZX-5 and Losi XXX-4 are popular in Canada. As you can see from the sig I chose the ZX-5, good machine, mega cheap parts as well!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

As WheelNut said please do a search. This topic comes up at least twice a month and gets discussed every time. Just do a search for 4wd Buggy and you will get a bunch of info.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

a rctech mod should just sticky threads that end up like this...and any other threads with 200+ posts....alot of other forums do that to avoid situations just like this....

i don't race 4wd now but i have in the near past....(xxx-4)

#1 BJ4
#2 ZX-5
#3 XX-4

http://www.oople.com/rc/index-reviews.html <-- Nice Site for Buggy Fans (2wd/4wd)
Old 01-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Lots of info about all 4WD buggies at www.4wdrc.com .
Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

first choice, hands down........bj4 worlds edition. got one. best 4wd i've ever owned....period....and i've probabably owned about a 10 to 12 4wd's over the years.

second choice......absolutly....the losi xx-4. had one of those too. great in the rough......the xxx version is crap....stay away....far away from a xxx-4.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Please search.

btw, BJ4
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

The top three cars available are:

Jconcepts BJ4 WE
Xfactory X-5
Yokomo MR4 BX

The Tamiya is so new it has yet to prove itself. But, it look promising!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
Please search.
people do search, but if posts are a few months old and someone is new to r/c how are they to know if the info is still good? 10 new great cars could of come out in that time :P just my 2c
Old 01-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142627

My vote goes for BJ

Cheers
Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1. ZX-5 all the way.
Cheap to buy new, only a few aftermarket bits needed to make it ultra tough, best shocks ive seen on a 4wd, well balanced and reasonably competative in the right hands. Best value for the dollar. I race one and my 11 year old son has one as well which he raced a full season with last year, crashed heaps and only broke 2 front arms and 1 front shock tower.
2. BJ4
I'd like a blow job 4 but there are just a bit too pricey for me.
3. X-5
Definately a great buggy but rare as over here. To the point i've only ever seen one, but it was quick and looked the goods
Old 01-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by WheelNut
www.doasearch.com (not a real URL)

This has been asked at least a billion times, and amazingly everytime it gets tons of relpies. Basically get what you can get parts for, what suits you budget, and what other people are racing locally so you share setups. 95% of race cars out there are good. The Kyosho ZX-5 and Losi XXX-4 are popular in Canada. As you can see from the sig I chose the ZX-5, good machine, mega cheap parts as well!
Ye sorry, Dont take into account the fact that im looking for a buggy and this thread is all about what I want (Though it will help me in deciding) , its just peoples current favorites. Also, theres no money limit, just what everybodys own opinions of what is the best 4WD buggy out there right now. Buggys such as what sport10,darkshinobi and tune71 have put in for example. They get the idea
Old 01-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Possibly sticky this thread or a similar one so people can add and change their opinion as new cars come out etc?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

ZX5 or BJ4we

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.