Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Lathe Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Motor Lathe Question

I am thinking of purchasing a new tool, a motor/comm lathe. I have been looking around at various products and have heard also that a diamond bit is almost a must or the comm will have waves in it (is this true?) I wanted to spend under $200, but would really prefer to spend under $150 if at all possible, what are some good lathes at this price? I also noticed that a lot of them say for Modified motors only... I am trying to true stock motor comms for the most part, but also need to true trinity spec motor comms(not sure if this falls under the modified motor category). Is there any lathe that will do both? Thanks in advance Jeff
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both rebuildable stock and mod motors have removable armatures and can be rebuilt on the same comm lathes. There are definately those who use carbide lathe bits and are very satisfied with the finish. Shouldn't cause ripples unless there is some unsteadyness. I bought a used Cobra lathe with diamond bit and have been very happy with the results.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

This is the one I am talking about,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNB54&P=ML
it says in the title description For Modified Motors Only... So this should work with all motors? thanks again
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Oh crap, I don't understand their description either.

"-Stock coms feature a tight fit to any stock style motor."???

Try looking at Team Cobra's website for a better description. I can't understand why it wouldn't work with a rebuildable stock armature. That's pretty similar to the one I have, called motor builder's lathe. I have the optional power base that holds 4 cells to drive the drive motor.

I think their description as "modified" simply means its not the lathe for rebuilding stock, sealed can, motors, the kind that turn the armature without having to remove it from the sealed can.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Yip it'll work

I have the eagle and diamond bit(came with it). Better than nothing and other than a name, I have not seen a better cut.

Carbide is good for home use. ie limited number of custs. A diamond bit will last alot longer. Hence better for the hardcore racer. Carbide will last about 1/4 of the time a diamond bit lasts and more than 4x the price. Make your choice with your wallet. It wont affect performance.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Company Representative

That description you are seeing on Tower is extremely old. Way back when you didn't have the ability to remove the arm from a stock motor. You would bolt the motor into a very different looking lathe, remove the hardware and cut through the opening in the endbell. The wording "modified motor lathe" is simply left over from this era when a "stock motor lathe" existed.

Nick
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
That description you are seeing on Tower is extremely old. Way back when you didn't have the ability to remove the arm from a stock motor. You would bolt the motor into a very different looking lathe, remove the hardware and cut through the opening in the endbell. The wording "modified motor lathe" is simply left over from this era when a "stock motor lathe" existed.

Nick
Exactly, I have an even older Cobra Mod lathe(got it about 11 years ago) that came out well before rebuildable stocks were introduced, & it works on them just fine. And about diamond bits, you can get just as good a finish from a carbide bit, but carbide bits can't do it nearly as many times before the finish does start to suffer(I could get about 20 cuts max before the bit would go bad). That's where you have an advantage with diamond, they'll keep going for YEARS & continue to give excellent cuts(& as an example, I've had the same diamond bit on mine for about 7 years now, & it still cuts beautifully, so I definitely consider it money well spent).....
Old 01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for all the replys, I am gonna try and pick one out...My Ice and APS say they will run the lathe, what voltage would you wanna put into it? I saw something posted somewhere about using lower voltage with certain slave motors so it doesn't spin too much... Thank you again for all the information it is definately helping with my decision process
Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i use a 19 turn motor and run it at 2 volts.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

With a second hand carbide bit;

Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It all depends on the drive motor you use, personally, I've been using an old stock armature in an old mod can(with the timing set to zero degrees) & running it at about 2-3 volts. Seems to work pretty well, but there are also some purpose-made motors for that(check out Integy's stuff, I believe they have a 55-turn motor just for use in lathes)......
Old 01-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

I'm quite confused about all this lathe malarky.

Well not the actual lathes but the speeds you run them at.

I run lathes at work, day in day out and generally speeding, on a smaller diameter and a softer material you run them at a far higher speed.

So if your running them at 500rpm for example, i cut steel at 700-1400 depending on the diameter.

I guess there must be a reason for running them slower...mainly because the lathe isn't fixed to a solid object? Or the belt would slip on the arm?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

I have the same cobra lathe with the diamond bit and it works great. One thing about a diamond bit it is alot more fragile than the carbide and will chip easy. If it gets chipped it can cut and look just fine but the finish will be bad. So ya just need to be careful. Both bits can be resharpened for a few dollars at a machine shop or a sharpening place. I have ran my lathe slower and faster and it dont seem to make much difference but as to how fast I can send the bit across faster seems easier tho. I use an old stock associated motor that came with my first RC a 12I with an old 4 cell pack and it works great.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I like my twister lathe with a carbide bit (no problems yet) but one other thing you want to look at is v-block vs. bearings mho you get a cleaner cut with the v-block
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Currently using Integy Xipp mod lathe
With a diamond bit and the cuts are sweet. Smooth as ever
It is really a good lathe

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLBB7&P=ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.