Best Nitro RTR for competitive racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Nitro RTR for competitive racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Best Nitro RTR for competitive racing?

Hey guys i am new here. I am looking to get into nitro cars, and when i do get one i will be racing it for sure. So i would like an RTR nitro to start with but it has to be competitive. I was at first going to go the route of the HPI RS4 evo 3 but a guy who races down at the track says they aren't the best or most competitive out there. He recommended the G4, Mugen and Ofna. I assume the G4 he is talking about is the one by Team Magic? (someone correct me if i am wrong) I read some posts on here where you guys seem to like that one, should i go with the Team magic G4? I also see that Traxxas has an RTR that they claim is capable of 70 MPH out of the box but does it handle well or would you guys recommend them for nitro racing? And Ofna seems to have a few RTR choices but not so sure which one is their best offering. If someone could point me in the right direction to make my choice i would greatly appreciate it. And obviously it would be great to buy an RTR that is easily upgradeable too. Let me know, thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The Team Magic G4s RTR is considered by many to be excellent value as an RTR. The chassis has been evolving, moving from the G4, through the G4 Evo, the RD Logics Mongoose (a G4 Evo with some extra hop ups) and the G4s. The RTR version is the latest incarnation with some of the full spec parts removed to make it price competitive. The parts that were removed can be purchased seperately to bring it up to full spec later on. There has also been three recent significant upgrades released - a new transmission system, a new quick release front end and quick release wheel hubs. These will fit on both the G4s full spec and G4s RTR, and may perhaps find their way into a new G4s Pro version in 2007 (if you listen to the rumours)

The Team Magic G4 Evo was my first nitro car and I have found it to be easy to drive, easy to work on and responsive to setup changes. It is also fairly hard to break, all I had to replace in three months was a front hub and a rear belt (a starter box incident )

I have no experience with the Traxas or Ofna, although a guy at my track swears by his CD3 and turns to it whenever he has problems with his V1RRR and MTX-3. By all reports, they are also easy to drive and easy to setup.

Whichever you decide to go with, make sure you have ready access to spares either through your LHS or over the 'net. I'd also recommend checking out what people run at your local track - it can be tough if you are the only guy with car X. Also check out the threads for each car on this site - a quck read through will give you some info on each car on your shortlist, and will give you an idea of how easy it will be to discuss setups and troubleshooting.

If I was starting out again, I'd go for the G4s RTR. It's good value for money, and can be upgraded to the same spec as the current European champion. Perhaps that in itself is something to consider against the other choices you have.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ok...Hmmm Here is my input, but don't shoot me for the way I think
Most RTR kits don't have the same quality parts you will get in a kit. Most RTR cars use the cheapest servo's and poor quality radio's that have very little adjustability(this is very important) Do yourself a favor and please look at getting a kit and build a car that will give you more for your money in the long run.

Please forgive me if you have heard this already, but If you are going to be doing "competitive racing" why would you want to go with an RTR? Most RTR cars are ran in parking lots with friends. Traxxas has a car that goes (70mph), ok. But the car is very hard to get to turn, (I had one), and the Ofna is an ok car, but it is a pain if you strip a gear and have to change it. The Mugen and Serpent are excellent cars, but the Mugen does not have an RTR. I think the Serpent is coming out with an RTR 720(heard it somewhere). If you buy an RTR in most cases, not all, the cars are not Ready to Race, they are Ready to Run. The knowledge you would gain to build your car from a kit would be much greater and you would have a better knowledge of how to fix the car when it breaks, and they do break. If you are looking at the ones you have listed, do yourself a favor if you plan on getting into racing long term and get a Mugen(I say this because I run Mugen, nothing against any other brands...I have to be political). It is built very well and is easy to work on. If you are looking to just rip it up in a parking lot and want to go fast, go with the Traxxas. But whatever you decide, you need to ask yourself:
1. Am I going to be doing this to be competitive and long term?
2. Do I want to learn how to fix the car when it needs repair?
3. Am I going to run just at my local track? (if so, look to see what is winning races there and go with that car, because you know others already are running that vehicle and know the in's and out's of it)
4. Do I want to spend a lot on repair parts?

If you keep this in mind, you will make an intelligent decision based on facts and what is most important for you, not because someone is just wanting to make a few $$. Don't get something just because your local hobby shop has it in stock. They can get what you need in most cases within a week.

Here is the order in which I would decide what vehicle I would by bases on where I was going to race.

Small tight track with short straights:
NTC3, ofna
Small track with long straights:
Mugen MTX-4, Serpent 720, or Kyosho RRR
Medium track with lots of turns:
Serpent 720, Mugen MTX-4 or Kyosho RRR
Large track with high speed turns
Serpent 720, Kyosho RRR, or Mugen MTX-4

From my personal experiance, I started with a Traxxas 4tec, that lasted about 3 weeks. Then I got an NTC3 and ran that for about a year before I got tired of fixing it because I hit the walls, then I got a Mugen. I beat that car to death and it still finnished races without breaking. The Kyosho, Mugen and Serpent brands are all very good products with good reputations. Do yourself a favor and get one of those 3.

Last edited by rcfoolz; 12-11-2006 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Truth is, i have built an HPI car kit before and while i did appreciate the learning experience, i am tied up with other hobbies such as motocross which i am seriously in to. I do not know yet exactly what my commitment level will be like when it comes to R/C racing. The track that i will be racing at is literally 2 minutes away from my house, it is designed on a parking lot. The guys there seem to be running the G4s, Mugen and other popular brands. I do appreciate the great advice from the person who replied second but right now i am just testing the waters so to speak. The team magic RTR seems to be the only option when it comes to good RTRs out there, and thanks to the guy who replied first for the good info as well. Being that the team magic car can easily be upgraded to the pro version, it looks so far as though that would be my best bet, atleast to start with. Then as i learn more or if i decide to stick with it, when i do decide to build my own from a kit, the mugen looks like a solid choice. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with what rcfoolz posted. My best reccomendation is go to your local track and see what everyone is running and talk to their owners. Then get one of those cars so that you can get help when needed. It can get very frustrating to try to run a car noone else is running (you really can't improve as much as you can this way).

The G4 RTR sounds like the best RTR for racing, but it is illegal at ROAR events/tracks. Quick release wheels are not legal to use in 1/10 touring.

I've ran the Mugen MTX-3, good car and I'm sure the MTX-4 is better from the drivers that I've seen drive it.
The Kyosho RRR (I run the 1/8 Kyosho Evolva) is a most excellent car and is probably my preference in the Touring class. Easy to setup (like the mugen) and accepts small changes in setup.
Serpent 710/720, probably a good car, but I dunno cause I don't see these in our area.
Traxxas 4tec, already been said. Also illegal in ROAR races
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are dead set on starting out with a RTR really the ONLY option you have in the current market for competitive cars is the G4 RTR. It is built on the same platform as its big brother, the G4S cept it is already built with most everything you will need to run it. Here is the thing with running RTR cars in a competitive track environment. You may not want to hear this but, you end up spending the same amount of cash in the end, or more that you would have if you had just purchased one of the four pro kits (Kyosho RRR), (MUGEN MTX-4), (TEAM MAGIC G4-S), or (SERPENT). Any RTR is going to come with an AM radio. This just isn't going to cut it and may lead to head on collitions at 50 MPH into walls...bad. The overall parts quality of any RTR will be of lower grade and will have to be replaced. So you have to look at it this way, do I really want to spend all my time replacing parts left and right to get to a competitive level or just start out with something that is already there?

Now that being said, if you go RTR get a G4. Replace the radio and it will be good to you. And you can upgrade it to the G4S for another 250 bucks or so. Now, go into the world of RC my freind. It is your calling!!

Last edited by BIGTACO; 12-11-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BIGTACO
If you are dead set on starting out with a RTR really the ONLY option you have in the current market for competitive cars is the G4 RTR. It is built on the same platform as its big brother, the G4S cept it is already built with most everything you will need to run it. Here is the thing with running RTR cars in a competitive track environment. You may not want to hear this but, you end up spending the same amount of cash in the end, or more that you would have if you had just purchased one of the four pro kits (Kyosho RRR), (MUGEN MTX-4), (TEAM MAGIC G4-S), or (SERPENT). Any RTR is going to come with an AM radio. This just isn't going to cut it and may lead to head on collitions at 50 MPH into walls...bad. The overall parts quality of any RTR will be of lower grade and will have to be replaced. So you have to look at it this way, do I really want to spend all my time replacing parts left and right to get to a competitive level or just start out with something that is already there?

Now that being said, if you go RTR get a G4. Replace the radio and it will be good to you. And you can upgrade it to the G4S for another 250 bucks or so. Now, go into the world of RC my freind. It is your calling!!
Thanks for the input. Not sure if you guys noticed but i am not talking about the G4 RTR, i am talking about what seems to be the newer release, the G4S RTR. From what i understand, there seems to be a difference there, someone correct me if i am wrong please.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oh looky there. That G4S RTR must be new. Yea, if you go RTR get that. Looks like a better option than the Lemans G4 RTR. Find out whether the radio it comes with is AM or FM. AM sucks, FM is better but you just gotta watch out for retards at your local track turning on their transmitter with the same frequency as you sending your car into a wall. Now most people are moving over to Spread Spektrum technology. It operates at 2.4 Gigz frequency. It also locks into your reciever with its own unique channel that no one can tap into on accident. In the 2 years I have owned mine I have NEVER had any interference, ever. To me thats like insurance for my high priced RC investment. My buddy actually purchased a Lemans G4 with the AM radio. Few weekends ago he was heading down the back straight at 50MPH and instead of making the sweeping right turn he was looking for, interference sent him into the wall. Before he hit the wall he hit a cone. If he had not hit the cone things would of been alot worse than they came out. The G4 held up amazingly well. Bent his chassis about 3 mm in the middle but thats going to happen with any car...

Food for thought...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi,

Search around a bit. I know for a fact Serpent made a 710 RTR and came with a FM radio. Unfortunately, without building a kit, get ready for some SERIOUS headaches as you'll have to learn things the hard way (when they break at the track..) Good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dude, do yourself a favor and get the NEW G4S rtr if your insistant on a RTR. I race ATV's...not motorcross so understand where your coming from. Everyone here has given you great info. Like others have said, the radio equipment is usually the weak point in a RTR. NO GOOD! A kit is a bit more, but you get to choose your equipment, radio, servos, engine, etc... and it only takes a day or two of some free time to build. Plus it will be built right, if you know what your doing and pay attention to detail. Good Luck!!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

just wanted to give a few links to RTR "Race" cars.
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=4240
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...rtr/31361B.asp
Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, by no means am I trying to discredit rcfoolz for his post. I own the S710 and it is a good car, however it's a pain in the ass to get to handle good due to the overkill of adjustments. This is why they made the 720. And as far as the Kyosho posted, this would not be in my top 5 as far as a true competative car. This is all MY OPINION only though. Again, not saying anything negative towards our fellow racer rcfoolz. He might know more then what I do in regards to the Kyosho. But it's nice to see ALL the choices that you have to choose from. It would be nice also if the Mugen, S720 and newer Kyosho made a RTR for this situation. But I believe the reason they don't make these into RTR's is because they realize that racers are very picky about their cars and all the different options as I stated in my previous post. Motor, radio, servos, etc...No one here wants to steer you in the wrong direction, it's just there are so many different cars, options etc. Anyway, rcfoolz, please don't think I was trying to discredit your helpful info my friend. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

no problem, I was just showing some other options. If I was a person looking for an RTR-- knowing what I know now-- I would look for a like new, used 720 or MTX-4 already built and ready to race on here or Ebay. This would open up a lot of possibilities. I sold one of my NEW, never ran, MTX-4's on here for less than $200 with a new body and a race proven setup. Get a good radio system, and engine. In less than an hour, up and running.

just a thought.

Good luck, and welcome to R/C. Have fun!!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

-If there is anywhere near a 60% chance you will be racing, stay away from RTR'S. Junk, Junk, Junk,. G4s does look like a good deal as far as a RTR goes. Like posted before, most RTRs have junk radios (am band, smasho), junk servos. In the long run you WILL spend more upgrading all the junk equipment that comes with them. (buy cheap and buy twice). If you can swing it, a good kit, (Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent) would be wise. Also when something does break at the track, you will be able to change out parts without looking at the manual because you put it together in the first place. Good Luck, Matt....................
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

One more vote for G4s RTR. (the LeMans G4 RTR is getting phased out I think). It comes with a legal body (Stratus), engine and exhaust. It does NOT have the quick release tire change system contrary to one of the previous post. That is an upgrade part. If you are gonna race in the beginner-novice class, the stock radio and stock servos will be just fine. Glitches will happen, even to the best of us. If you are coming from a parking lot bashing background and going to a closed course, you will crash. That's just part of the learning curve. If you bust the stock servo because of a crash, then it wouldn't hurt too much in the wallet. When you bust a stock part, then buy an upgrade replacement. Stock up on extra parts like arms, and hubs, and gears from online stores (try racedayhobbies.com).

This car will get you racing with the least $$$ requirement. When you get better, then upgrade. I've seen a few beginners come to the track with a brand new top of the line car with top of the line parts only to crash and spend mucho dollars in replacements.

We need to steer people into racing using the least $$$ necessary because the attendance in beginner and novice classes are dwindling.

Another option is to get a used car complete with engine, servos, radio. Many people sell their used r/c for super cheap. Ask around your local track.

my opinion anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.