Wiki Posts
Search

Porsche Cup Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Porsche Cup Series

Porsche Cup is a simple format for racing. A Tamiya F103GT kit ( or any 2WD 190mm chassis like one from MLP Motorsports that can run touring car tires and rims ) and a 190mm HPI Porsche 911 body (#7335) with the Silver Can 540 Mabuchi motor. It's patterned off the real Porsche Carrera Cup series that offers a one-make series with serious performance.

What are the races like?
Two races in each round (except for endurance team races). Starting order for Race #1 is the finishing order from previous round. Race #1 - 30 min race. Finishing order reverses the grid for Race #2 meaning race #1 winners will have to run from the back of the pack in the "Feature" or Race #2. Race #2 is also 30 minutes long. Current batteries including the lipo's might make this distance if geared properly but a mandatory pitstop in the both races forces all competitors to stop, change battery, and tear off color tape to denote pit was made. Pitstops add to the excitement and open up chances to gain positions on the field.

How many cars can run a per race?
If you have AMB scoring and timing your software and system allows for 20 cars on the grid. Running 20 cars is non-stop action and a lot of fun. The series has points for all 20 cars on the grid.

In the event that more than 20 racers show up there will be a qualifying session where the top 20 will make the race and a race in between the 30 minute races will be held for those who didn't qualify.

What are the regulations on the chassis?
A Tamiya F103GT kit ( or any 2WD 190mm chassis that can run touring car tires and rims ) and a 190mm HPI Porsche 911 body (#7335) with the Silver Can 540 Mabuchi motor. Those who choose to run Lipo will add 4 ounces of ballast to the chassis to compensate weight differences between lipo and NiMH. BBS or spoked rims only (sorry, no dish rims in real racing... or you could sharpie spokes on the rims ). Cars should appear scale in appearance to make the series attractive to the newcomer.
We will provide a template to anyone to add number stickers in a very affordable way to each car. The kit motor (540 Mabuchi) is the series motor plus replacements are around $15.

As of now in Salt Lake City there are 17 Porsche Cup cars owned with 2 more that have yet to be built but are bought. So go buy a Tamiya F103GT kit and a 190mm HPI Porsche 911 body (#7335) and come race. We've had many comments that this is the most fun they've had in r/c racing.

A bonus is the Porsche Cup cars are the same as the GT2 class in the American Scale Endurance Racing Series. So you can run this chassis in team events throughout the year. Depending on finishing positions all drivers in a team receive equal points for the GT2 Porsche Cup points championship. There is a 4 hour race in May then two 2h 45m races in August and October. We are meeting to make final plans as to how many team races, individual races, carpet races, and endurance races will be counted in the series. Porsche Cup is also sanctioned by ASERS (American Scale Endurance Racing Series). A white paper for Technical and Sporting Regulations will be produced soon and available for download here or on the Porsche Cup blog.

We've just finished our first ASERS event that included Porsche Cup cars in its own class, GT2, for the Petit Le Mans 2h 45m race held on October 21st in Salt Lake City. As you can see there were several GT2 cars being shared by 2 drivers except for Mark Hinckley from CA and Bruce "Doc" Hickman from WI who drove the Petit Le Mans solo. I'm proud to say that GT2 dominated the overall podium. The numbers were unequal 6 to 3 in favor of GT2 but we still had to drive more laps than the faster 4WD GT1 cars.

You've never raced on-road before? Or perhaps you've never raced r/c cars before... We will help anyone who wants to come race with us to have a good time racing. Set aside any questions and get involved before the 20 car grid fills up.

Porsche Cup. It's going to be a blast.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Cup Series-5-790129.jpg  

Last edited by slcf1; 01-15-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

this class looks FUN...thumbs up
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

WCM in Orem will host an exhibition round this Saturday. PM me if you need directions. 2x 15-20 minute rounds depending on the schedule.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Tech Addict

Quick update on exhibition round...

On racing the Porsche Cup: Only 5 cars showed up. Jer, Fred, Nicole, Troy were no shows, and Ryan was preoccupied, and Kent forgot to bring the car. So it was Bill Hammond, Professor, Ants, Clete and I racing Porsche Cup.

Took several tweaks to get the GT2 with rubber tires to work on the carpet at WCM. The car is tough. No one broke after 50 minutes of racing. There was plenty of tough materials and opportunities to break the cars but the GT is the toughest on-road car out there. First run was okay but ran with terrible understeer and no brakes to help get the car around. Ran second round on foams 35/30 and it felt like cheating. The car was well balanced and fun to drive. Ran final round on rubber against 2 other rubber shod GT2's again for the 30 minute main. Car changed from balanced to oversteer. Probably geared too high as the motor ran 135º plus. Professor ruled this round as Anthony in the #68 car would have been there at the end had he not had a slow pit stop. Clete's experiment with the pivot ball set up was a disaster. Ran even with foams like it was on marbles. Way to drive around the problem and stick it out. Bill ran two rounds and had to go so we didn't get a snapshot of his performance. The 2WD cars are fun and very easy to overdrive. Takes a lot of temperment on rubber tires to get the lap time. Foams would be the easy way out but the challenge was nice.

On WCM: Nice owner of the track. Racing is $12 and gave us 10-10-30 minutes for racing times. Very generous. Set up, carpet, and everthing is new and will only get better. The carpet is nice and the track is forgiving unless you nose in full speed. Should be successful as the winter months are usually slow for on-road. If I had to say anything bad it would be the constant soundtrack of music playing during the whole event. Didn't feel like a race... more like playing PS2. What's funny is I actually like most of the music that was played. On a racing note next time maybe two 20 minute rounds and call it good. Nice group of guys to race with at WCM.

Last edited by slcf1; 12-09-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had fun running these cars. I had trouble with the servo saver in the first round and replaced it with a kimbrough. The second round I had a severe push from not having enough time (working on the 19T sedan and the 1/12th pan car) to clean them up right. With the work needed on the other cars I didn't charge the two 4200 packs that I brought (yeah... I hear the 'lipo's won't need to remembered' comments) so I had no reason to stay. Next time... I will be more prepared... Thanks for letting me play.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

West Valley to order 3racing parts this sunday. Get in your order today. Check out the blog for more information.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tony at WVH must be the only one that knows about the 3 racing order. I went in today with a parts list from 3 racing and Ben and several of the others gave me the deer in the headlight look when I mentioned that Tony was takin' orders. They seemed not to know anything about the availability of those parts. Anyway... I left my order for parts for the F103gt as well as my NTC3... Nifty tire warmers from Eagle....
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Ben and several of the others gave me the deer in the headlight look when I mentioned that Tony was takin' orders.
Wha?? That's never happened to me before

Sorry, should of put that caveat in my post. Tony will inform Ben and then he'll inform Mike, and then slowly to everyone else at the shop once the big order goes in. Then I would guess that anyone can accept smaller orders for 3racing.

I'll send Tony an email to reinforce that you left an order.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Post from the Professor (until his account with RCTech is resolved)

WCM raceway races 1/18th scale on Tuesday and TC/1/12th on Thursday.....except this Thursday. They just posted on Utah r/c that this Thursday was in conflict with some r/c plane event. Or something.
They have also cancelled Saturday the 23rd.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Just spotted this cool MHOR regulation online:

Drivers Challenge
MHOR R/C has been running the Drivers Challenge for almost as long as we have been open. The Drivers Challenge consists of a regular 5 min heat with NO TRACK MARSHALS. This really brings skill back into racing. No more relying on track marshals to help you win the race, or having the track marshals in the way while you race. If you wreck you are out of the race. Your car will be left where it crashed until the race is over or all cars cannot complete the race. If you are wrecked and get assistance from another vehicle (another vehicle flips you back on your wheels or gets you off of the pipe) you are allowed to continue racing.
I really support this line of thinking. Track Marshalls shouldn't be required for racing r/c cars. This is fantastic. I would anticipate this "Drivers Challenge" in the Porsche Cup series.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

FYI, Tony @ West Valley Hobbies is sending in the 3racing order this sunday. Now's the time to get your 2mm extension parts... and anything else you might want.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

2007 GT2 Porsche Cup Challenge sign up .pdf is nearing completion. Provisional Utah race dates are below.

March 24th - GT2 Porsche Cup
April 14th - GT2 Porsche Cup
May 12th - 4 hour ASERS team event / GT2 Class
June 9th - GT2 Porsche Cup
July 14th - GT2 Porsche Cup
August 18th - GT2 Porsche Cup / ASERS Team Event
September 15 - GT2 Porsche Cup
October 20th - Petit Le Mans ASERS team event / GT2 Class

Racing locations include: Fastkart, West Valley Hobbies, Apex Hobbies, Miller Motorsports Park, and Intermountain R/C Raceway.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

New driver announcement.

Tom and Spencer Hohl are joining the Porsche Cup series. Their car owner, Parker Racing, is bringing up the new talents in all new Parker-Hohl Racing Porsche GT2. The brothers will take turns in driving one each of the scheduled 2x 30 minute races in preparation for their assault on the endurance events of 2007.

The promoters of GT2 Porsche Cup are planning on mandatory pit stops for the events where the cars race in 2x 30 minute races. Thus one car won't need the battery capacity or longevity to run in one stint. This mandatory pit stop will be scrutinized by using numbered or colorized battery packs and a tear-off sticker on the outside of the car provided at the start of each event.

The organizers are also considering a 107% rule on qualifying times. If implemented a full explanation will be provided no less than 30 days in advance of the first applied event.

Last edited by slcf1; 01-08-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Another Driver announcement: Kiyoshi Nagahama

Kyoshi works at West Valley Hobbies on the weekends. He started racing in Japan with the Super Fox, Porsche 956 (sweet 1/12th on foams), and several Kyosho cars. He definitely loves the Le Mans 24 Hours and will be involved with that event including the season of Porsche Cup.

Welcome Kiyoshi!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Possible gathering of Porsche Cup cars at WCM next saturday... 2x20 minute races should do the trick on the power robbing carpet.

Stay tuned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.