Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motor temp hot on xxx4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default motor temp hot on xxx4?

I've been running buggy for a year now. My motor temps,(on the can) are around 170. I just got a xxx4, I played with gearing, but 205 is about the lowest I can get. I'm not loosing power, but Im courios about hurting the motor. I understand that 4wd has more drag within its belt system. How hot can the motor get before it starts hurting performance?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

i've honestly never measured the temperature, but i run mine so they don't go soft for the last minute and are bearable to touch after a race.

a couple of things other than gearing can cause high heat...

the belt may be too tight. it should skip a few teeth under full brakes. try nailing the brakes at the end of the straight, you should hear it then.

there may be crap stuck in one of the pulleys. it will turn smoothly for most of the rotation, then be extremely stiff.

sometimes the pulleys can rub on the front or rear diff bulkheads. i had to dremel out the front bulkhead on an early xxx4.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

I would check to make sure everything turns and rolls smoothly cause 205 is hot. Heat is what kills electronics.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

My belt is adjusted correctly. I first had it tight like I run on my helicopters. The guys at the track cought it, and told me to loosen it. I get the
"clicks" under hard breaking.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

We cannot help you unless we get some more info. What motor? What pinion?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't like to see my motors over 180, but it's pretty common esp in 4wd. I have had (brushless mostly) motors over 200 also, and they seemed to survive just fine. I never had a temp gun before getting brushless so I don't really know how hot my bruhsed motors would get.

My old novak 5800 system would run over 200 (both motor and esc) in my XX4 when I ran it on a sticky track.

The point where the motor is damaged depends on type/quality of the magnets. I have some neo-magnet brushless motors that are supposed to be fine to around 220 or so.

I don't know about the average brushed motor but I seem to recall hearing that @190-200 is the point where magnets can weaken but again not all motors are the same.

I would call the mfg and ask them about the max temps for this motor.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't know nothing about off road, but know about temperature on motor, yes, 200 degree is hot, and it is NO GOOD.....I had 1 problem before with my radio setting and I did not realized that.....it seems like it give full throttle only when I apply 20% on my trigger........untill someone point it out and I reset my radio and the throttle problem disappeared......however, it was too late for my motor, hitting 200 plus for at least 3 5 minutes ran and I can see there are some HEAVY mark (rough surface) on my monster stock motor..

Check the radio setting first....then gearing. For sure, 200 is not good....even under hot sun in the summer outdoor.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I get 133s on my orion 12x1
150-60s on my p2k2

I gear the orion at 18/92 and the stocker at 19/92 for my track. I have had the toughest time with gearing on this thing, so i know the frustration you are feeling.
I had a 11x1 arm in the orion at first, but it got up over 230 and the winds melted off the comm.That was with the manuals reccomended gearing. I have had good luck starting at 5 over the wind for mods and going up from there. For this stocker its been a trial and error...
Are you running a front one-way or diff? If its a diff, i run the front really tight but still with smooth diff action and it has allowwed me to run a little looser on the belt tension and noticed a huge drop in temp. I run my belt as loose as i can, like it skips under accel, then tighten it in the smallest increments i can untill it doesnt skip[p under accel, then i rip down the straight and see how much skipping happens after a full pull.. usually about 3-4 clicks is good.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

I'm running a 19x1 fantom(i.e. komoto). Gear ratio is 20/92. I know what you guys will say... Not enough motor!! All the guys I run with are using 10 turns and brushless. I decited to run the 19 turn for the first time I'm running 4wd. The track is small that I run at. I've only ran 4wd once. I finished on the lead lap in every qual, and main. The small track was the equlizer for the motors. I was shocked how well I did. Only four guys in the race, and yes I finished 4th in every race. But for the first time I've ever driven a 4wd, and never got lapped. The guys all were supprised that I did so well. They did give me pointers on driving a 4wd. I was trying to drive it like a buggy. I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon enough. I might stay with the 19turn if I can get smother, I will be able to be competive with them.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Oh yea. I've tried going both ways with the ratio, it got hotter both ways. I havn't tried a one-way yet. I get the same 3 or 4 clicks under hard breaking.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dougg
I'm running a 19x1 fantom(i.e. komoto). Gear ratio is 20/92. I know what you guys will say... Not enough motor!! All the guys I run with are using 10 turns and brushless. I decited to run the 19 turn for the first time I'm running 4wd. The track is small that I run at. I've only ran 4wd once. I finished on the lead lap in every qual, and main. The small track was the equlizer for the motors. I was shocked how well I did. Only four guys in the race, and yes I finished 4th in every race. But for the first time I've ever driven a 4wd, and never got lapped. The guys all were supprised that I did so well. They did give me pointers on driving a 4wd. I was trying to drive it like a buggy. I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon enough. I might stay with the 19turn if I can get smother, I will be able to be competive with them.
I only play with the mod motor, i run in the novice class witht he stock motor, but im consitantly faster with the stocker just cause i can control the car, the 12 is way to violent for my ability right now.
A guy at the track let me run a 14x2 of his at practice the other night,AWESOME!!!!! i like the higher turn motors for the shorter type track i run on. I just wish we had enough wheelers to get a class every week, then maybe i would learn to drive this 12.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

just be carefull. i have a xxx4 and was racing stock, and running a p2k2 pro and a lrp quantum 2 comp and I geared the car as the manual says, and about 4 minutes in I fried my lrp and the motor was so hot if you spit on it, it would boil right off! So I would gear at least 2 teeth below what the manual states!!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

I would like to try the gear ratio that the manual says, BUT!!! it says nothing about a 19 turn.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tony montana
just be carefull. i have a xxx4 and was racing stock, and running a p2k2 pro and a lrp quantum 2 comp and I geared the car as the manual says, and about 4 minutes in I fried my lrp and the motor was so hot if you spit on it, it would boil right off! So I would gear at least 2 teeth below what the manual states!!
Ya the manual is way off on gearing.
Im running a 19 now, i hink im going to try to go down to an 18 and see what temps im getting, i know 20 is the wrong direction.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

first thing i would do is check all the bearings in the car to make sure that they are not binding. belt is super free. and then cut your motor. what brushes are you running. because i know certian brushes like F-brushes tend to make the motor run hotter. cut the comm use red springs on the motor. the fantom 19t motors like to spool up so mainly i think that you are running way to big a pinion gear on it they need to sound like a MOD going around the track. so drop about 2-3 teeth. run a heatsink. you will notice with the new motors of today that it's not the bigger the pinion the faster. it's the other way around. the new motors have so much more rpm then they used to. so realize you do not need to run a monster pinion. you should always cut and rebuild your motor every 2-3 runs no matter what or at least spray all the dirt out with motor spray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.