Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Electric On-Road have too many classes? >

Electric On-Road have too many classes?

Electric On-Road have too many classes?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Electric On-Road have too many classes?

Didnt see a thread on this, sorry if this has already been discussed. In another thread we talked briefly about if Electric On-Road had too many classes? What are peoples thoughts? Are more classes better or worse for the hobby? What is a good breakdown? By skill level and/or motor type / tire? Someone mentioned 14 classes between 2 cars. What is that list? Seems like way too many!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, as a race director for my local club, I've noticed that some racers are worried about this. However, many people don't realize that most of the time, the different "motor classes" do not affect the amount of time it takes to run them.

Let's say the track size can accomdate 6 cars at a time. And let's say a dozen 1/12th scale racers show up. Half of them want to run 27T brushed and the other half want to run 13.5T brushless. In this scenario, the time it takes to run both classes is absolutely no different than if they were all running the same motors.

A good race director can put many of these worries at ease by being very consistent from race night to race night. Starting the first race on time, starting all other races on time, good communication, and reminders etc. A race director can set a good, predictable rythm throughout the night. This really helps people know when they'll be racing and when is a good time to charge their batteries.

As for the different types of car and truck classes, I think that initially helps to get new racers. There are a lot of flavors of classes out there that can really appeal to our personality. Are you the type of person who likes the precision of a 1/12 road course, or do you enjoy hitting the dirt jumps. etc. Do you like small or big vehicles. There is a class for just about every personality out there to get you hooked initially.

What does make me a little upset is when I see Tamiya come up with a 1/16 scale offroad Frog. 1/16th? What is up with that? I wish the manufacturers would stick with the basics:
1/12
1/10
1/18
1/8

Last edited by James35; 09-28-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

dangit. i was just going to start another "sandbagging stock racers" thread. you'll find most every opinion to your question in those. after about three posts they all deteriorate into an argument of the "empty victory or positive motivation" associated with an abundance of classes. it may be about pros vs. privateers, but the logic is still the same.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=James35]Well, as a race director for my local club, I've noticed that some racers are worried about this. However, many people don't realize that most of the time, the different "motor classes" do not affect the amount of time it takes to run them.

Let's say the track size can accomdate 6 cars at a time. And let's say a dozen 1/12th scale racers show up. Half of them want to run 27T brushed and the other half want to run 13.5T brushless. In this scenario, the time it takes to run both classes is absolutely no different than if they were all running the same motors.

A good race director can put many of these worries at ease by being very consistent from race night to race night. Starting the first race on time, starting all other races on time, good communication, and reminders etc. A race director can set a good, predictable rythm throughout the night. This really helps people know when they'll be racing and when is a good time to charge their batteries.[/QUOTE]

What does make me a little upset is when I see Tamiya come up with a 1/16 scale offroad Frog. 1/16th? What is up with that?

If they ran Li-Po, they can charge before they got to the track, saving time.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Im talking more at a club level I guess. Dont want to dwell on if pro drivers should race stock. For me I would rather race in a large class with a B-main then race in a bunch of smaller classes. What motivation do I have to qualify if Im guarenteed a spot in the A-main?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

What strikes me as odd is the amount of racers and how people say nitro is more popular...It's obvious that something is going well that if some venues have an abundance of people looking to race electric. That being said, there has to be something done to streamline the current status of racing. Spectacting for a little bit before racing is one thing, waiting hours on end to get to your heat is totally mind numbing.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by seaball
dangit. i was just going to start another "sandbagging stock racers" thread. you'll find most every opinion to your question in those. after about three posts they all deteriorate into an argument of the "empty victory or positive motivation" associated with an abundance of classes. it may be about pros vs. privateers, but the logic is still the same.
seaball, you are clearly annoyed by every topic discussed on here. What brings you back?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
seaball, you are clearly annoyed by every topic discussed on here. What brings you back?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK,

At our track we do have many classes.

World Touring = open mod
GT1 19turn
GT2 27t stock
GT3 silver can
Mini

1/12 27t stock
1/12 19t
1/12 mod

These are the usual classes we run, but rarely do we have them all full. Rarely do we have more than 2 - 3 classes per night. Its kinda become wednesday is gt3 night, friday gt2, and sunday gt1. Because our program is still rather new, I believe the faster classes will fill in more as time goes on.

I believe there should be at lease three classes. Beginner, intermediate, and expert level classes. I like to see people have fun in what ever class THEY decide to run. We do offer the silver can class to help people get a better understanding of how to tune the car, and that way they don't break as many parts with the slower motors.

Have fun
Kevin Michellich
Seattle Indoor Raceway
Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

He's in it for the ho's.

I think the electric side of things is in flux now...we've got several things going on. We have Brushless coming in, rubbers on carpet, 19t making somewhat of a rise.

It will sort itself out.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Monster trucking is my baby and I like the fact there is an unlimited class. Base it not compared to nitro on-road, but off road. With monster trucks, the menu is a lot shorter. ROAR needs to get off there high horse and ease the rules. Many of these tracks are following ROAR rules and threading this line makes for more classes and longer waits.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i don't think that there's too many classes in onroad. There's the nitro & there's the electric side. On the nitro side you've got 1/10 touring, 1/8 GTP, & i think 1/8 touring - i think these are the main ones for nitro. For electric the main ones are just 1/10 touring & 1/12 scale & thats it. I don't know what happened to the 1/10 GTP class(aka Pro 10 in Europe). One year i was racing it, & then it just vanished!! & for onroad it was my favourite class. Can anyone answer me why this class went away?

I think the real problem is that there are way too many different motor classes & skill levels, you have the stock, 19t , mod, & then when you times this with novice, amateur, intermediate, expert, factory class oh & the over 40's & under 16's(sometimes they have this option), this is when things get out of control. There are a few things that don't make sense in some of these classes though. For example: when stock came out it was supposed to cost less, the strange thing is that now the only difference between stock & modified is the motor. The car costs the same sometimes even more in stock . & yet to go faster than the other person you need the very best batteries to be competitive to make the motor go as fast as it can. So in the end this class contradicts itself.

I think if they lessen the amount of skill levels this will help. Say we have just begginner, expert & factory, i think this is more than enough to cover the skill levels. & then for the motors i think they should keep mod & 19 turn, but get rid of stock. Also by doing this racers will end up racing against more racers as they wouldn't be racing in so many different classes.

I think some of the above should also be applied to off road as well. So what do people think about that? oh & can anyone answer the first question? i mean they used to have a world championship for these!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

oh i also forgot the new brushless class & then there's foam tyres & rubber tyres......
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

There should be three classes like in sports amatuer, minor and Pro. You should have to demonstrate that you can compete in the lower level and work your way up. All of these different classes pertaining to motors is just sickening. Group the motors according to class. Amateur-27T. Minor-19T. Pro-whatever you can get to go fast 7.4 volts and less. With the breakdown in tires, car weights, type of motors, age groups yada yada, waayyyy too many brackets within brackets. If one cannot compete, then obviously, they will have to step their game up and work at getting better to rise to the next level of competition.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

This is in response to Rocket42's comment:

all you electric diehards, you guys realy need to stop hating on the gas guys, the gas guys bring in more people than anyone. i had a friend he wanted a r/c car i said get an electric you will have much more fun, well he did and all his friends had gas, well his electric went up for sale and he got a gas truck. last i talked to him he was going back to electric because of the tuning. This is what will happen you have to remember the average joe who sees a r/c car race does not think that your x-ray t2 is any different then the cars they sell at radio shack just faster. so when you tell him how much they cost they freak, would you pay 1k for a r/c car like they sell at radio shack just faster. Most people know if its gas you can't buy it at radio shack that its hobby quality and should cost more. So let these guys go out and get there gas cars, get them to the track and let them watch how easy it is to opperate electric and there gas will be up for sale. But don't hate on them because thats how they got into the hobby.

Well, we will see who thinks what came from where when Toys-R-US starts carrying Hasbro nitro trucks .

That being said, no one is hating on Nitro racing or racers. Our point is the amount of classes in electric that is bringing some lag to electric racing. Personally, nitro better look over their shoulder. In a time sure to come, it will be mixed racing and nitro is going to need a revolution. Li-Po/Li-MN/Li-Ion with brushless is really smacking nitros around locally and when/if (probably never) it catches on, the only class you boys will have is 1/8scale on road...thats until someone does an electric conversion on a serpent 959

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.