Motor Springs

Old 09-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Motor Springs

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I would like to know if some one would be kind enough to explain the different motor spring combinations and the effect to a motor. for example: what spring color combo would give you the most torque? also which would give the most rpm? etc. Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lighter springs generally give more RPM

There's so many combinations. It really depends on the track. Get yourself a small dyno and spend a day at the track just trying different combinations
Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That is not correct.....heavy springs give more RPM.....lighter springs give more torque.....

Later EddieO
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

so why are people running Green + and Green -, or Green + and Blue - on a 12th scale, cause they want more torque? You wouldnt think so on such a light car... You would think you want lil more RPM
Old 09-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

1/12th Scale uses lighter springs cause you have less voltage, so there is less brush bounce, so all a heavier spring will do is put more drag on the comm...

Don't believe me.....ask EA....ask Todd Putnam, ask Dave from Axiom, ask Brandon from Paradigm....ask Jim Dieter, Oscar Jansen, Chad Phillips....

I know it sounds backwards....but that's the way it works....find a dyno and try it out...

Later EddieO
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. I run an express CO27 stock motor on a small tight track and I wanted to know what spring combo would give me the most tourque. I want to explode out of the corners.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Red+ Green- would be a place to start
Old 09-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Default Motor Springs

There is a stock motor thread in this forum check back a page or two.

Also www.rccars.com had Big Jim (Dieter's) forums a great deal of info there also, although some may be somewhat outdated.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

That would be Big Jim Greenemeyer.....Jim Deiter is a completly different person and rarely posts online. Big Jim died in June of 2005, thats why the forums are a bit outdated, though 95% of the information still applies.

Later EddieO
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EddieO
That is not correct.....heavy springs give more RPM.....lighter springs give more torque.....

Later EddieO
Having used a dyno which uses a load, I found that generally, the heavier the spring, the more torque.

It does seem to vary from motor to motor, as I have tried lighter springs which had no effect on the test motor.

Using heavier springs also did NOT increase the RPM on any of the 5 or so motors I tested.

Skiddins
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kobiwan
Thanks for the info guys. I run an express CO27 stock motor on a small tight track and I wanted to know what spring combo would give me the most tourque. I want to explode out of the corners.
Purples
Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Having used a dyno which uses a load, I found that generally, the heavier the spring, the more torque.

It does seem to vary from motor to motor, as I have tried lighter springs which had no effect on the test motor.

Using heavier springs also did NOT increase the RPM on any of the 5 or so motors I tested.

Skiddins
Do you realize you are arguing with a Motor tuner that holds National titles plus many other Major race victories to his credit...
No offence but your five or six motors compared to Eddie's 40000+ is not even worth arguing over...
-Shookie <><
Old 09-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO

Later EddieO
That does sound backwards...

I was always under the impression that a stiffer spring increases the contact tension between the brush and the com, increasing the voltage being delivered to the com netting more power.... however, with the sacrifice being increased drag due to the brushes acting as a brake. A lighter spring would not act against the rotating force of the com - therfore leading to greater RPM. Obviously this assumption was wrong.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by duckman996
That does sound backwards...

I was always under the impression that a stiffer spring increases the contact tension between the brush and the com, increasing the voltage being delivered to the com netting more power.... however, with the sacrifice being increased drag due to the brushes acting as a brake. A lighter spring would not act against the rotating force of the com - therfore leading to greater RPM. Obviously this assumption was wrong.
Think of it more like gear ratios. A low gear translates more power into acceleration and a high gear allows more speed.

So a stiffer spring would draw more amps for more punch , and a lighter spring draws less allowing for better top speed. Makes sense when you think of it like that.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by budachi
Think of it more like gear ratios. A low gear translates more power into acceleration and a high gear allows more speed.

So a stiffer spring would draw more amps for more punch , and a lighter spring draws less allowing for better top speed. Makes sense when you think of it like that.
You have just supported what I wrote...

Stiffer spring = more punch. Punch is a direct result of torque

Lighter spring = more top speed. Top speed is a direct result of RPM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.