Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Driving tips & techniques - how do the pros develop thier skills? >

Driving tips & techniques - how do the pros develop thier skills?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Driving tips & techniques - how do the pros develop thier skills?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Driving tips & techniques - how do the pros develop thier skills?

I am looking for any resources that may help develop driving skills and techniques.

I know everything takes practise but I believe there must be a wrong way and a right way to practise. I would like to learn what are the most effective ways to train yourself and develop your abilities to drive an r/c at a pro level.

If anyone has any links or other resources thay would like to share, or just post your thoughts on the matter I would greatly appreciate it. I have found information on how to enter and exit corners and how to pass someone etc... Thats all common information that applies to most any motorsport. I am mostly wondering on how to develop the hand and eye coordination, focus and concentration required to drive a car through a certain line around the track. Is that too deep or what?

What are the best kept secrets, tips and tricks to being fast! And I am not referring to car set up. This sport is alot more mental than physical. Driver development is not a big topic and I have not been able to find alot of info on it.

If time and money were not a factor what is the most effective ways of developing the needed skills to hang with the pros.

If time and money were somewhat of a factor what is the most effective ways of developing the needed skills to hang with the pros.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

consistency if very important. if you cant drive the track consistently, your results in races, will be inconsistent.

onroad, reduce dual rates a little bit, so you dont scrub off speed by turning the fronts all the way...

there are many other things, but you learn them by racing and learning.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the best way is get to the track and DRIVE. thats the only way to get better. The best drivers in the world can sit on here and tell you whta they do, but I dont think it would help you at all, You just have to drive and get used to driving, get around the track without hitting anything first, maybe set throttle to 50-75%. Sounds dumb but you may be slower in speed but i bet your lap times will pick up if you just learn to drive consistant. like stated above. consistency is the key. As i was told "In order to finish first, you have first finish"
Old 06-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Don't make stupid moves. Just because you don't run with the top 3 doesn't mean you won't wind up winning, sometimes it's best to let the fast guys do their thing and run close, then when they wreck out you can gingerly maneuver around them and take the gold right out from under their noses.

Also, it's a good idea to avoid the hole shot on tracks that have narrow first corners. A huge pileup that takes time for marshals to sort is often avoided by hanging back and waiting to go around the mayhem.

Don't make sharp, hard corners that require a lot of skid recovery. Trying to make hard corners bleeds off a lot of speed. Try to only loose traction if it saves time. Blasting into a corner at high speeds is good if you can recover and powerslide through the turns. If you're caught trying to recover a near spinout you didn't really gain anything by carrying all that speed into the corner now did you.

If you're being lapped, get out of the way. It's very frustrating to be on a real fast lap and then get caught up with the guy who's not even in contention anymore. If you're running the back of the pack, let the fast guys run their own race and try to place wherever you can.

I might come back later if I can think of some more stuff to add, but right now I have to go make dinner.
Holmestead likes this.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

I totally agree about the consistancy. You cant win a race from 2 or 3 fast laps then 20 slow ones so learn the corners well of any track. Watching other people race is also a good way to learn.

I try to make sure I get a lot of sleep the night before any big race meeting,to get the best concentration I can give my car and my thoughts thoughout the racing.

If you are ever unsure about something either use a forum or ask someone whilst racing. The latter can be rather daunting when you have only just started racing but it's the best way of getting to know how a car works and at the same time introducing yourself to other members if you've only just joined a club
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I’m no expert, but the best help and advice I’ve received is:

1) “Perfect practice makes perfect”. Practice is very important, but if you’re practicing with a car that is set up incorrectly or with different tires than race day, etc., you’re not going to get a whole lot out of it that is useful for racing.

2) Related to #1, understand set-up basics. Camber, ride height, and toe-in/out are basic, but other things like shock mounting position, shock oil, springs, anti-squat, droop, etc. can all make a difference. I’m not saying you have to master all of these. But if you don’t understand what they do, then set up the vehicle as instructed by the maker of the vehicle. Don’t make changes if you can’t explain what the change will/should do. Same goes with transmitter and ESC settings. When you’re a beginner, don’t mess with those, but as you learn more, things like exponential steering, drag brake, etc. can all help you go faster.

3) Make sure your vehicle is in god condition: shocks not leaking, differential(s) working smoothly, no bent hinge pins, etc.

4) My favorite advice: practice fast. If you run stock, practice with a modified motor. If you run 19 turn, practice with a 12 turn. When it comes time to race, your real race speed will be slower than your practice speed and it will seem easy (relatively).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The best way to start I believe is to have a good working car. If you have a car that is set up similar to one of the faster guys, and have him try it out, you know you have a good starting point. Now start making laps. Start understanding how the car works. Start with shocks, springs and tires. Learn how to use these to tune your car to your liking. Keep making laps, and more laps.
Once you get to the point where you are able to make a bunch of laps without tagging a wall, start tuning your car with the aid of someone that has a good knowledge base. Keep making laps, tweaking, making laps and all th time observing how the fast guys are getting around and the changes that are suggested to you, and that are made.
Buy the XXXmain chassis set up guide. Martin Crisp knows his stuff.
Read your radio guide, somtimes your tuning your radio will help you as much as any tweak you can do to your car.

Hope this helps
Nate
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The word of the day, Practice. Get to the track early, run laps by yourself so you are not constantly running into stuck cars, or pulling over for faster cars. I used to get to the track very early, and practice by myslef hours before people showed up, and then park the car for a while. Later on, I would wait for a freind who was redy to practice, and I would run with him. Get someone who is slighty better than you, and go mout with just the 2 of you. Let him run right in front of you, and try to follow in his tracks. Then switch, even if he is much better than you, let him get behind you, and you try to hold him off, without being dirty.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Someone has a web page on how to practice. And I have to say it was good. His basic advice was to pick one item that you need to practice and key in on that. If entering the corner is what you need help on concentrate on that piece. Soon you will be through all of the aspects and you will repeat it. Over time you get faster and faster. You start slow and get faster and faster every time you go out.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not a good racer. I've been racing for about 3 years now. I'm an old fart too. I race with my boys.

I am getting better. I've worked my way out of rookie class and into the b-mains at the clubs I race at in the past 1.5 years. Here's what I've found that has helped me immensely:

Make my vehicle's setup what I call "neutral" for that particular day at the track. which means it performs smoothly, with good traction and steering that is controlable. It's taken me a long time to understand what changes to make to control a problem the vehicle might be having any particular day. I've done this by asking lots of questions in the pit area, and even letting good racers try my car/truck/buggy so they can tell me what to do to the setup. ten making one change at a time.

Practice driving smoothly and staying in the middle of the lane. This means not ever really using full throttle. Drive like you would a real car. Once you are getting around the track with no mishaps slowly increase your speed and take a few corners much closer to the inside. This may take a lot of time depending on your abilities.

I've also listened alot to the cliche "Slow is Fast". Once I learned to apply it my laptimes got much better. Essentially it means slow down. Especially in the twisty curvy areas of a track layout. Entering turns too fast causes way more problems than you think it might be helping in terms of lap times. It was difficult for me to apply because I get all excited during a real race.

Finally something I just started doing....once at a track I'll watch who is practicing. I'll find the best racers. I'll go up on the stand with my radio turned off. I know it sounds really stupid but it has helped me find the proper line around a layout. I'll stand away from them with my radio in my hand and follow their vehicle as if I am controlling it. I'll do this for 5 or so laps and visualize where I need to place my vehicle all the way around the layout. Then I'll place my vehicle on the track and try to mimic the same driving line.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 on the slow is fast, Take your time and race yourself, just watch to make sure you do not get in the way of others. Do everything you can to stay rubber down and out of the pipes, race teh track and the clock, not teh first and second place racers, Individual starts are really good for this type of racing because you are going to start at intervals, instead of at one time. Stay calm and do not get overly excited cause you are passing/being passed/ get a crappy marshall, because you will get irritated and it will cascade from there. And practice, if you race at one track, practice there ALOT, if you race at more than one track, practice on as many different tracks as possible, this way you learn teh set-ups, wheel choices, how you and your vehicle work on various surfaces, adn use the practice time alloted before the quals and even teh day before to go slowly over the track to learn the corners and handling, and see where you can go fast, and where the slick corners are.

HTH
Rod
Old 06-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Tech Champion

Driving slower also increases the possability of the car finishing a race.... meaning you'll have more time to practice,or set the car up rather than repairing it

Dont concentrate on the speed of your car to start with,look at how it goes round the corners. If it wont go round the corners at slow/mid speeds theres no point trying to get the car to accelerate faster or have a higher top speed.

You dont put a v12 in a mini do you? So theres no need to apply it to an rc car... unless you're a world class driver (I can always dream about that last bit... one day! lol)
pcar951 likes this.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

This is all great advice, thanks. I have another question for you guys and this comes from some stuff I was reading on the Tamiya website. Do you always keep your eyes on your car or do you look ahead of it, and drive the car to that point on the track. For example, if your coming up on a turn do you look at the turn and drive you car to that point or do you just watch the car till the turn comes into view so to speak.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Thats a very good question!

Now,forgive me if i'm wrong but most newcomers will look only at their car- And this can be one of the reasons they are crashing,because they are only looking at their own car and not the others around them.

I look a few yards ahead of my car to plan braking and to avoid traffic.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

i do abit of both becasue if a car has come off the track or has stopped in the middle of the track the chances are you might just hit him i always look ahead of my car and when you are clear of others just stay carm. but i dont know about others

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.