Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Improved Personal Transponder (i-PT) >

New Improved Personal Transponder (i-PT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Improved Personal Transponder (i-PT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razzor
A bit off topic so please forgive me.
Id like to know if there is alternative hardware/equipment available for a timing system other than AMB ???
Hi razzor, no problem if it's about lap counting we're here to help.

There are alternatives but none that work as reliably in all conditions and for all race classes.

If you're involved in serious racing where accurate timing and lap counting is important there's really no other system to compete, it's the standard for rc car racing everywhere. For the smaller scale cars there are other alternative systems that can be used, mainly because the cars are not as fast and the tracks are small. A look around the other forums should help you with more info.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Terry,

My i-PT arrived safe today, blue LED in grey cover looks awesome!!

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Terry_S
Hi razzor, no problem if it's about lap counting we're here to help.

There are alternatives but none that work as reliably in all conditions and for all race classes.

If you're involved in serious racing where accurate timing and lap counting is important there's really no other system to compete, it's the standard for rc car racing everywhere. For the smaller scale cars there are other alternative systems that can be used, mainly because the cars are not as fast and the tracks are small. A look around the other forums should help you with more info.
Thanks T
I know AMB is teh standard its just for us in SA its a very expensive exercise to get a system for our local club.
Seeing that it needs to be imported a system works out around R40000 to R45000 thats like $5700 to $6400 after shipping and customs duty and vat.

Just have to stick it out a bit longer with our old AMB 20 system
Thanks for the answer though.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeLaSoul
Hi Terry,

My i-PT arrived safe today, blue LED in grey cover looks awesome!!

Thanks again!

Dave
Hi Dave,

That's great, glad you like it!!

Terry
Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks T
I know AMB is teh standard its just for us in SA its a very expensive exercise to get a system for our local club.
Seeing that it needs to be imported a system works out around R40000 to R45000 thats like $5700 to $6400 after shipping and customs duty and vat.

Just have to stick it out a bit longer with our old AMB 20 system
Thanks for the answer though.
I agree $5700 to $6400 is very expensive. If you stick it out you never know what might come along in the future. The old AMB20 system is what keeps a lot of clubs going. It's not a good situation. We've made our own AMB20 PT's (the MRT T1-10) they're helping clubs that don't have too many handout transponders left.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Old 05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

dam!... missed it again... I was away from home for the past couple of months taking care of my mom, and I came back as soon as she passed away... and I missed the blue transponder deal again!.... luck just isn't on my side
Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys i have been holdingoff on getting one of these PT's, due to them being new.. Now that they have been out for some time how are the quality issues.. have any of you had any issues?? I have had my AMB for 4 years, and it looks a bit ruff i was looking at getting one of these but i want it to last just as long as my current one.. also do they come in red??? thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by burbs
Hey Guys i have been holdingoff on getting one of these PT's, due to them being new.. Now that they have been out for some time how are the quality issues.. have any of you had any issues?? I have had my AMB for 4 years, and it looks a bit ruff i was looking at getting one of these but i want it to last just as long as my current one.. also do they come in red??? thanks
I pulled the black wire out of my amb, sent it in and got 2 clones back shortly after (this was about 2 months ago) I run both of them each weekend and have had zero problems or missed laps, looking at the screen the strength of signal is waaaay higher than the rest of the chumpies still running their old ambs hehehe
Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by akura2
dam!... missed it again... I was away from home for the past couple of months taking care of my mom, and I came back as soon as she passed away... and I missed the blue transponder deal again!.... luck just isn't on my side
Sorry to hear about your mom akura2.

The special deal had to end, the i-PT costs us too much to manufacture and we have to set a realistic price. All i-PT's are effectively custom built to order, quality doesn't come cheap!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

terry what is the cost of the pt's now ?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wallstreet
terry what is the cost of the pt's now ?
AMB PT's cost more than i-PT's, I guess you mean the price of i-PT's? The standard blue ones are $79 each and the other custom versions are $89 each. I'm not sure but I think AMB's are $90+ each new these days.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi burbs, I'm sure you'll get the answer from the guys who've been using their i-PT's for a while now. Big Rigg for one has experienced the i-PT advantage!

Originally Posted by Big Rigg
had zero problems or missed laps, looking at the screen the strength of signal is waaaay higher than the rest of the chumpies still running their old ambs hehehe
We don't really need to include a booster circuit in the i-PT but it's there as an extra insurance so that laps won't get missed, something that's not the case with the AMB PT's. The higher strength signal (at all times not just when the supply input is higher) means better lap counting. The i-PT works down to a very low voltage well below the 4V minimum of the AMB PT, so even without the booster it will work without problems.

One AMB PT is meant to last for all the years you keep racing but in reality it's not the case. Yours is 4 years old and looks a bit worse for wear no doubt, even if the case is ok the leads don't last especially with wear and tear changing between cars etc. With the i-PT the lead is designed to be easily replaced so no worries and you get a transponder pretty much for life!

The i-PT is 100% waterproof and is unaffected by fuel. It's slightly smaller than the AMB originals and you can choose between a blue, smoke, purple, green, orange, yellow or a clear case. You can even have it red if you prefer!! The LED (light) is also available customised to your preference, you can choose between blue, white, amber, green or red. The choice is yours but a blue case and blue LED version is cheaper. I also forgot the lead length can be anything up to 8" (200mm) long.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Standard i-PT - €49.50 ($79USD) each, or €39.50 ($65USD) each when trading in your original AMBrc PT.

- i was looking at this off of rclaps.com. is this still accurate/correct?

- do i send mine in first with the application, then pay thru Paypal?

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 05-15-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's £49.50 (GB Pounds) or $79USD each, £39.50 or $65 each when trading in your original AMB PT. The trade in price is useful if your PT is old and broken.

The form at www.rclaps.com is correct, it's needed to send along with your original PT when ordering i-PT's.

Payment is made by PayPal when we have your i-PT order made and ready.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ive seen this thread about and i have one question.
is the i pt useable where ever a amb transponder is used?
may seem simple but i couldnt under stand if it was, true.

cheers guys
Old 05-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Shop Owner

Yes,

iPT is just a clone of your original AMB. The most important feature (at least for me) is that you have 1 number to remember to all your cars
Old 05-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
ive seen this thread about and i have one question.
is the i pt useable where ever a amb "personal" transponder is used?
may seem simple but i couldnt under stand if it was, true.

cheers guys

It has to be a track that has an AMBrc or AMBrc3 system. (one that will accept personal transponders) It will not work with the older AMB systems.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Shop Owner

A very good clarification!!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is 3 or 4 of us that race regularly together that have the clones, they work no problems at all, I personally got 4 of them, now I only need to have 1 transponder number no matter what car I am running.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What happens when people start selling these cloned PTs and dupes start to show up at races?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi EricW,

The one with the original AMB should have preference.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
What happens when people start selling these cloned PTs and dupes start to show up at races?
whoever sold them gets a swift kick in the pants.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by smojoe
whoever sold them gets a swift kick in the pants.
Correct!!

All i-PT's have the name of the owner moulded inside the case so we know who to kick
Old 05-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow Congratulations

Hello MRT guys.
I want to congratulate you on producing yet another great RC product.
I was impressed when I discovered you had produced the number selectable car powered AMB20 transponder, but the i-PT is pure genius!
Well done guys.

best regards
Jeff Chandler
Transponder Services - Australia
http://users.bigpond.net.au/bigfix/transponders
Old 05-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Jeff The i-PT has proved to be a popular RC product!

Our new PTX personal transponder is similar to the 'number selectable' T1-10 concept but for the AMBrc and AMBrc3 systems.
We've also got more planned for our AMB20 product line
Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

You guys must have big taxes down there... we just bought AMBrc with 20 rental PT's, they bought back our old AMB20 and 18 working transponders we had, it worked out approx 3000 US$, with shipping but before VAT. We did gather transponder orders from people and ordered those at the same time, this helped to spread the shipping cost.
I think AMB still offers discount if you ship back your old AMB20 and transponders.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow Transponder Tester

Originally Posted by Terry_S
Thanks Jeff The i-PT has proved to be a popular RC product!

Our new PTX personal transponder is similar to the 'number selectable' T1-10 concept but for the AMBrc and AMBrc3 systems.
We've also got more planned for our AMB20 product line
Gee what else could you come up with?
If it is a Transponder Tester than I have beaten you on that one.
[warning - shameless self promotion ahead]

Works with AMB20's, AMBrc's and PT's.
Does not require batteries or external power.
Ready to use anywhere, anytime to prove a transponder's signal strength.
Popular with Race Directors.

regards
Jeff Chandler
Transponder Services - Australia
http://users.bigpond.net.au/bigfix/transponders
Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Most software would not put two of the same transponder numbers in the same heat...if the two numbers showed up at the track 'on the same day' and 'in the same class', I'd agree...the original TRANSPONDER from AMB should have first right. But what would be the difference in this verses a guy who has had 3 or 4 clones made...and loans a couple of them out on race day...and OPPS two or 3 end up in the main...NOW YOUR Up a Creek...but there's probably a bigger chance of that happening, than the other.

It also seems in this day and age... almost every race I go to, guys have 3 or 4 different transponders w/ different numbers...so if too many showed with the same number, I'd bet within 2 minutes...someone could borrow one and resolve the problem quickly.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigfix
Gee what else could you come up with?
If it is a Transponder Tester than I have beaten you on that one.
[warning - shameless self promotion ahead]
Looks good Jeff, a very useful product! Yes you beat us on that one..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.