Wiki Posts
Search

starter box batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default starter box batteries

just ordered a new Mugan on road box whats a good setup on the batterie issue? LMN Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I like to use a gel cell
Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by impdog
just ordered a new Mugan on road box whats a good setup on the batterie issue? LMN Thanks
the gell cell would be fine ,or you can use 2, 3000 mah or larger stick packs, that would give your starter plenty of punch
Old 04-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

i just ordered a mugen on-road starter box also, and with it i got 2 3000nimh stick packs..... ordered mine from Ace Hobbies.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

gel cell is too heavy, I love stick pack
Old 04-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
gel cell is too heavy, I love stick pack
However, it unleashes the fury...and longer.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

gel cell is heavier but if you have a "descently" tuned engine - one over night charge will last a few weekends
Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Down with stick packs! Sure they are lighter, but they won't last that long if you have engine tuning issues, a tight engine to turn over, letting other ppl borrow your box, and or if you plan on running for over 6hrs at the track or bashing spot. Build up some muscle and carry that box with gel cell like it's a bag of bread.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Leave the stick packs for what they were intended for (electric cars) and get a man's battery .

Even a 270mah gel cell will fit nicely inside the box and last you all day. Its not overly heavy either.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just get some stick packs, you get more power (14.4 V instead of 12V gel cell) and plenty of runtime, i can make 2 race days with some juice left with my 1700's...
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You could always go Li-Po for light weight.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Sticks work fine

7.2 sticks will give you more voltage, and last a decent amount of time, even with a poorly tuned motor. I watch alot of guys/gals fight with there box, and I think most of you will agree its not the battery that is the problem. Maybe I am a little anal but, with a new starter box, I spend at least 20-30 mins making sure it fits my car snug, and of course easily. Once your car properly fits on the box then you should have no problems. We are all trying to be economical and save what little money we have left (this hobby will break any piggy bank), but you should buy a box(es) that is appropiate for the car that is being started. Improperly setup box will waste time, battery, and prematurely wear down the starting wheel.

New engines should be started with the glow plug loose, and if possible with a hair dryer. With new motors I try to warm up the sleeve a tad bit by removing the plug and just dry starting the car for 15-20 seconds, then putting the plug back in loose (less compression), and starting from there. Gel cells are great, but can be heavy, and God forbid it dies at the track or in the parking lot, it cannot be peaked like a set of sticks in 15 min.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Talk about Gel cell versus stick pack.........I have this issue too, I too always think Gel cell is better (I have 2 AE starter box for my 1/8th and 235mm fitted with 2 gel cell from tower hobby - Lead Calcium 12V 7amps torque master)......yes, when they are new and nicely charged, they will last forever, but my problem is....WINTER in Chicago is 6 months long, so my gel cell has to collect dust for 6 months......now it is summer, charged it over night....and it sounds OK, but it barely last for 1 race day, no, I don't use it to break in engine, engine are already broken in....it is just a simple sunday race.

Then I do some research on the batteries and find out, Lead Calcium battery has to be CHARGED (fully charged) at all time...even in winter and not use. THAT, I did not know....no instruction from the battery nor the charger telling me to do so........my other problem, the charger, it is the hobbico $15 wall plug charger (I know).......dont' even know how long I have to charge the cell...it said over night, over night means what...? 8 hours? 12 hours? 24 hours...? Nothing...

I want to ask you guys........what you use to charge your gel cell? What gel cell are you guys using....? And how long was the charge........? The most important....does all gel cell need to be fully charged at ALL TIME...? WINTER TIME too...?

Does Lead-ACID the better one to use...? Are they the same..? The reason I asked is.......Tower saying the charger I have is to charge Lead-Acid or Gel cell.....and my Gel cell is Lead-Calcium......are they the same? Or Tower really F-it up big time...?

Because of that....I used my old 3300mah pro-match for my starter box (yes, overkill).......BUT, at least, I know how to charge them, I know how much juice are in them, and i can charge them at the track IF I have to....and 14.4V suppose to be a little more powerfull then 12V....AMPS are very much the same.....

Thanks everyone...........

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 04-24-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Talk about Gel cell versus stick pack.........I have this issue too, I too always think Gel cell is better (I have 2 AE starter box for my 1/8th and 235mm fitted with 2 gel cell from tower hobby - Lead Calcium 12V 7amps torque master)......yes, when they are new and nicely charged, they will last forever, but my problem is....WINTER in Chicago is 6 months long, so my gel cell has to collect dust for 6 months......now it is summer, charged it over night....and it sounds OK, but it barely last for 1 race day, no, I don't use it to break in engine, engine are already broken in....it is just a simple sunday race.

Then I do some research on the batteries and find out, Lead Calcium battery has to be CHARGED (fully charged) at all time...even in winter and not use. THAT, I did not know....no instruction from the battery nor the charger telling me to do so........my other problem, the charger, it is the hobbico $15 wall plug charger (I know).......dont' even know how long I have to charge the cell...it said over night, over night means what...? 8 hours? 12 hours? 24 hours...? Nothing...

I want to ask you guys........what you use to charge your gel cell? What gel cell are you guys using....? And how long was the charge........? The most important....does all gel cell need to be fully charged at ALL TIME...? WINTER TIME too...?

Does Lead-ACID the better one to use...?

Because of that....I used my old 3300mah pro-match for my starter box (yes, overkill).......BUT, at least, I know how to charge them, I know how much juice are in them, and i can charge them at the track IF I have to....and 14.4V suppose to be a little more powerfull then 12V....AMPS are very much the same.....

Thanks everyone...........
I find it odd that the battery companies dont give this information with the battery. Being a spark I already knew about this. If you want to ensure your battery stays good the whole winter and you dont forget about it, a nice little trick is as follows.

Get a transformer (240v > 12v or equivilent for your country). Hook it up so that the live wire plugs directly into the battery and the other lead goes through a bulb holder. Insert a low wattage bulb and let it tricle charge all winter. Contrary to belief this wont do the battery any harm. With 40w bulb the battery will be on a par were it replaces only what it is loosing so will remain fully charged as it is only getting a couple of milliamps charge.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Palmaris Europe
I find it odd that the battery companies dont give this information with the battery. Being a spark I already knew about this. If you want to ensure your battery stays good the whole winter and you dont forget about it, a nice little trick is as follows.

Get a transformer (240v > 12v or equivilent for your country). Hook it up so that the live wire plugs directly into the battery and the other lead goes through a bulb holder. Insert a low wattage bulb and let it tricle charge all winter. Contrary to belief this wont do the battery any harm. With 40w bulb the battery will be on a par were it replaces only what it is loosing so will remain fully charged as it is only getting a couple of milliamps charge.
Thanks for the advise........however, leaving a "charging device" over winter continuously......is not like leaving your refrigerator ON all the time....I don't think I feel comfortable to leave something like that ON at all time and giving me a chance it will explode by whatever reason....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.