Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ceramic Bearings >

Ceramic Bearings

Ceramic Bearings

Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Ceramic Bearings

Heard that ceramic bearing are best. Will it make lap times faster? Any recommendations as to where and what to buy???
Old 04-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redlion
Heard that ceramic bearing are best. Will it make lap times faster? Any recommendations as to where and what to buy???
The search feature is your best friend!

Will they help your laptimes...that all depends on how good of a driver you are!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Yes, they will shave at least 5s off any laptime you have.

Seriously though, no, they won't change your laptimes. Benefits are lower resistance than standard bearings, last longer, and lighten your wallet.

Acer Racing has great bearings $90/set at www.acerracing.com
Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that driving practice will lower your laptimes more than any part ever will.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

That's the best idea I've seen yet on this site. Bribe the race director(s) with dollars and doughnuts! That will shave seconds off you laptimes or make you instant TQ for sure!
Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The_Stig
I would bet dollars to doughnuts that driving practice will lower your laptimes more than any part ever will.
I don' think that was the answer to the question asked. He was asking about ceramic bearings and not practice.

Yes, Ceramic bearings has the potential to help lower laptimes. But the average racer will notice little to no difference in performance between ceramics and a good set of quality steel bearings.

Until you are a good driver, I would concentrate more on practicing than worrying about the performance benefites of ceramic bearings. If you cannot stay off the wall, do not worry about ceramics. While they are just as strong as steel (regardless of what anyone on here says. any accident that would shatter ceramic bearings will ALSO destroy steel bearings), I am sure you'd rather replace $1.00 a piece bearings than replace $8.00 a piece bearings.