Wiki Posts
Search

Rebuilding a stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Rebuilding a stock motor

I was just wondering what all I should do when I am rebuilding a stoch motor, and what all I need.
So far I am getting
com lathe(diamond bit of course)
motor dyno
and a brush seradder

What else should I get, and why?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Instead of spending a whole bunch of money, practice rebuilding and working on motors. The only thing you really need is a lathe.
Look here: www.motortuningsecrets.com
Old 04-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcrcracer
com lathe(diamond bit of course)
Skip on the diamond bit, get a regular bit until you learn how to use it.
Then if you feel you need a diamond bit, go for it.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you never used a lather before start with a carbide bit. You will just break the diamond bit learning and then be out $80.

You don't need a motor dyno, just a charger with motor run function. Like the Pulsar Comp 2, ICE, etc.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Let me start something. I work with machinist that produce flight hardware for research and devlopment. I asked them about using a comuntator lathe on a brass comuntator and they told me that a diamond bit was a waste of money. On a soft metal like brass, the orinary bit would work wonders and they are available at local suppliers for less than eight bucks, if you do not want to sharpen the bit.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

All you need to do is cut the comm, align the brush hood, align the motor in the magnetic field then shim, find a brush combination that you prefer, check spring tension, and thats about it. Theres more to do but that will get you started in the right direction.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

How often should you get the can zapped? I notice it gives some rip to a motor but I dont know how often should be the norm.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have NEVER zapped magnets in my motors. I have never had a problem with my magnets weakening. I'll call Judi at Banzai Motors for you and find out exactly what should be done,if anything. But I have a feeling that zapping is overrated. late
Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Best is to make a $10 gauss meter to check the magnet strength of your brand new motor. I do check the can magnet strength every rebuilt so I know when the cans need zapping. In big meets, I zap the can every heat as the strength does go down when your pushing the limits of the motor.

http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Gau...GaussMeter.htm

Last edited by danjoy25; 04-19-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

you can find really cheap carbide bits if you can find 'em in the right places. Once you learn how to use it, i still wouldn't get a diamond tipped unless you are cutting mod motors constantly.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

All you really need is a comm lathe.
My tip is to have a mark on the turning handle that lets you know when you get to 7mm. On a standard comm that is when you have to be careful as the comm is now on the small size.
Also make sure that you lathe is set up so that it does not catch the tags where the windings go.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Location: Coming Soon " The Further adventures of NeedleDick Nicholas"
Default Stock Motors

Hello All,
I really don't know much about building Motors, but i do know that Zapping your can is NOT overrated. It is a very important step. I'm not saying that you have to bring a zapper with you to the track and zap after every run.
But it a good idea to have your cans zapped after say 2-3 Race weekends, maybe more often in the summer due to the extra outdoor heat.

A motor with a rezapped can, freshly cut arm, new 4499's and some red and green springs can be as fast or faster than as when the motor was new.

And one more note. There is a BIG difference between cutting you comm on lathe with a diamond bit and one with a Carbide bit.
You can get a clean cut from a Carbide bit. But if your looking for the best cut possible and the smoothes finish on your comm, You have to go with a diamond tip.

Sarquis