Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2.5 vs .12tr

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default 2.5 vs .12tr

how much power does the traxxas 2.5 put out? this might sound niave,but if the 2.5 can propel a t-maxx or revo to insane speeds,it can probably move my ntc3 faster than a .12tr. i dont care about racing(yet) i just want a reliable,fast engine. any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get the OS .12 tr, its more reliable and runs cooler and if you decide to race, you will have a good engine.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

racer6888...The TRX2.5 is the more powerful motor and if you just want to have fun and bash, your NTC3 will scream with that motor in it... I was one of the first guys to put that motor in a NTC3... Barry Baker even drove it once at the local track last year.. I posted the how too's on the Traxxas web-site... It's not an easy install... Here's a link to the pics..

http://community.webshots.com/user/rc_alan

It's the Yokomo Euro truck body and the Lola GTP body pics... I've since sold it... and now just drive the Mugen MTX3 and the TM G4... The info on how to install it was there... on the Traxxas forum, but they redesign they forum page earlier in the year and most of the older posts have been removed... You can try to do a search there and see if you can find it.... My screen there is the same here... Oh, if you like that motor, you should switch to OS TR12 carb... Lower temps and easier to tune... Good luck

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 08-16-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

what made it difficult to install? do you have to make custom motor mounts?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sean... No, the motor mounts are the same as any small block motor... The crank sytle of the TRX 2.5 is a design just for the T-Maxx and N4TEC... If you don't mind using a pull-start 2.5, then the conversion will be alot easier if you use the thread shaft version.. If you want to use a bump starter like I did, you'll have to do alot more to it too get everything to work. Due to the TRX 2.5 sg shaft being alittle larger then normal sg shafts, you would have to use the Traxxas clutch nut and install it backwards... You would then use a 2 shoe Team Associated non pull start flywheel. Installing the clutch shoe springs will be alittle tricky since you're installing them on the Traxxas clutch nut installed backwards... It's the only way it'll work... Once done everything else is smooth... Oh, you'll have to either have someone Tap the end of the shaft for you if the end is not threaded on the inside or you can try to find the Sirio sg crank for the TRX 2.5 and see if that one does... That's it in a nut-shell... Using the pull start one is easier to install and get up and running for bashing... If you want yours to look clean and starter box ready... Then plan on doing some work... Where you able to see any of the pics on my page??? It turn heads at the track and the car was Hella Fast too!!! I wish I knew how to post them here.. Oh well.. Good luck.

racer6888... Good post about the OS. carb... I went around and around with Traxxas on there Forum about there carb having air leaks and cracks in it... They removed all the posts and pics from there end users having problems... They've since fix the problems with there carbs... But the OS. TR 12 carb makes things alot easier with that motor.

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 08-16-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

go to www.photodump.com you can upload photos and post the url. i just found out how to do it myself. i would love to see the photos
Old 08-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here's a few pics... Thanks for the help Sean...

RC_Alan
Old 08-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

nice pics. i just got off the phone with Traxxas to ask them about the 2.5 going into a TC3 and the tech rep forwarded me to anther tech who had actually done this before. they were very helpful. i cant wait to start this project. the guy i talked to said it almost had too much power --rc_alan did you run into any handling problems? was the motor too heavy? oh and did you use the Associated rear exhaust header and pipe or the Traxxas stuff? thanks again,sean
Old 08-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think the Traxxas rep got the idea from me.. lol... I did this like in March 2003... I used the Associated header and pipe... If you use the 21-27 gearing, the car will be hella fast... So fast that, you should check your Tranny from to time because the torque of the motor will strip the tranny housing... Did the Traxxas rep say to go the pull start route or starter box??? Go luck and post some pics when you got everything together...

RC_Alan
Old 08-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

he told me that he couldnt get the pull start to fit -that he just used a starter box. thats fine with me, i dont want to pull start
Old 08-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Did he tell you to use the sg shaft or the threaded one??? I posted everything on how to do it on the Traxxas forum... I did a search for it and couldn't find it anymore... Good luck on your new project.. Oh... and Post some pics as you go along... That's what this is all about... building new a better stuff Enjoy and good luck.

RC_Alan
Old 08-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

sg shaft-- actually with traxxas it will be the ips shaft--what does sg mean anyway?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sean.. You have like 390 plus posts and you don't know what an sg shaft is... Hey, that's ok... .12 .15 and .21 racing motors use the Sg style shaft... Most RTR motors use the threaded style shaft.. Traxxas uses two different types of shafts depending on what type of model the motor is going to be used in. Follow the Traxxas rep's instructions on the install. Remember that the Traxxas shaft is alittle larger in diameter then normal sg sytle shafts... Follow there Rep's instructions and I'm sure your lhs can lend you a helping hand as well..

RC_Alan
Old 08-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh, if you hand the extra money and didn't mind doing some experimenting... You could buy a Sirio SG shaft and put it in place of the stock Traxxas shaft and see if it'll work... The Sirio shaft would have to be for there .15 small block motor.... I know, that's a long shot... but it was a thought that crossed my mind..

Why Sirio??? Because Sirio makes an upgrade for that motor and just maybe, a regular stock .15 small block Sirio crank would work... You know... Better yet... Stick with the The Traxxas's rep instructions and I'm sure everything will work out fine..
Old 08-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think sean wanted to know what 'SG' stands for....like Standard Gear, Stupid Goof, Such Grief, ...........that sort of thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.