Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion >

Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Old 04-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Default Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Just finished assembly of the Kawahara ZT-1 conversion for FW05. Tomorrow will go to the track to try. Enclosed is a photo of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion-zt1a_s.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Originally posted by jasoncsc
Just finished assembly of the Kawahara ZT-1 conversion for FW05. Tomorrow will go to the track to try. Enclosed is a photo of my car.
nice......... so how much did you spend total ? i am thinking of getting one, but fell off the chair when i add up all the hop up cost. let us know if the conversion worth the money.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Originally posted by Data
nice......... so how much did you spend total ? i am thinking of getting one, but fell off the chair when i add up all the hop up cost. let us know if the conversion worth the money.
fell off the chair,....
Old 04-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a feeling it is going to be more than $270. I'll pass thank you very much. The benefit doesn't justify the cost . The only things you carry over are the diffcases and arms, THAT'S CRAZY!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
I have a feeling it is going to be more than $270. I'll pass thank you very much. The benefit doesn't justify the cost . The only things you carry over are the diffcases and arms, THAT'S CRAZY!
FYI, I was in HK a few days ago, and I saw the kit in hobby shop. Very limited supplies and they are going for $2800HK, meaning upward of $360us.

but there are a few good things in the full package, different bevel sun gears for lower internal gearing, a lot of carbon fiber braces and shock towers, I believe there is an updated carbon fiber piece on the steering provide more ackerman. Yes it is pricy but there are a few nice hop up which actually improve the charactoristic of the car.

when it comes down to bottom line, it's just personal taste! some might benefit from it some might treat it as eye candy.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

I think we should consider it as a kit that needs some extra Kyosho parts to complete it,... then I think the price should be okay, hehehe...
Old 05-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Just come back from the track today....

To track back a little bit, in assembly all the parts fitting and quality are up to usual Kawahara standards. The only complain that I have is that the rear conversion set which comprises of the rear CVD with the shorter pivot balls really have no use if you are not going to run 32mm rear tires. I think the most important difference of the Kawahara kit and the original FW05, aside from the change of engine placement, is that the Kawahara kit makes the chassis lighter (I don't have a gram scale, but by hand I feel the Kawahara kit is lighter than my other FW05), and it makes maintenance more easier. Especially I like the Kawahara main gearbox design, just 4 screws and the whole main gears assembly could be taken out for maintenance.

As to driving, preliminary I feel this is a more balanced car than the FW05. I follow the Kawahara setup sheet at first, but I felt it to be a little bit understeer on throttle exiting a turn. I then fiddle with the setting a little here and there, and finally come up with my own setting that's more suited to my driving. However, the most easy seen difference of the Kawahara kit is the liveliness of the car, as it is lighter than the FW05 the car becomes more responsive to throttle, and straight line speed becomes faster.
The next step of this car would be to change to the Mugen steering blocks and a-arms as suggested by Kawahara to see if that would make the car even better.

As of today, the total money spent on my Kawahara ZT1 is more than a top 1/8 scale car. Worth it or not? I don't know.... I'd say if you can afford it then the Kawahara is something different.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:59 AM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I believe the faster straight line speed you are getting is mainly due to the crown gears.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

No I already have the Kawahara crown gears on both my FW05s before one of them have the chassis conversion. The faster straight speed is due to the fact that its lighter in weight.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
Wait till you have to replace parts, then it gets REAL expensive.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
B
Tech Master

No I already have the Kawahara crown gears on both my FW05s before one of them have the chassis conversion. The faster straight speed is due to the fact that its lighter in weight.
I am curious to see what the difference in weight actually is in numbers. Because from what i see of the conversion, the alloy center bulkhead and the multiple decks should make the chassis even heavier.

Perhaps, it is because with the conversion, you can use a different, lighter RX battery pack? Because I have a friend who uses a 5 pack AAA cell pack in his 05R, and along with some other light weight mods, the weight dropped down to 1620.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

really...... i thought the kawahara crown gears changes the internal gear ratio so the final drive ratio can be taller.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

As of today, the total money spent on my Kawahara ZT1 is more than a top 1/8 scale car. Worth it or not? I don't know.... I'd say if you can afford it then the Kawahara is something different.

wow, more than an eighth scale car !!! need to sell my real car to get it.

on a side note, do you guys think kawahara will come out with its own car some day ?
Old 05-01-2004, 11:46 PM
B
Tech Master

Last edited by B; 05-01-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:47 PM
B
Tech Master

The 05R with the Kawahara conversion, and then some additional hop ups (Ti screws, front Ti pillow balls, LSD) will be very very expensive.

Interesting thought about kawahara making a car....But they have always made conversion kits (non yet so dramatic as the one they did for the 05R).....and they have been doing that for a while, so i doubt they will come out with their own car.

And plus, it will be tough to compete with the other manufactureres out there

my $0.02

Last edited by B; 05-01-2004 at 11:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.