Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
19 Turn Spec Thread >

19 Turn Spec Thread

19 Turn Spec Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default 19 Turn Spec Thread

With these 19 turn spec modifieds becoming so popular, I thought a thread for them would be useful.

I've had good luck with the Orion Element. I bought some cut down brushes, like Big Jim recommends for use in the MVP's to try in it, and I have a feeling they might work well.

I have yet to try the quad mag motor from Reedy, those of you that have, how does it compare to the Element in terms of torque, power, and RPM? I imagine it is more RPM oriented than the Element, which is pretty far over on the torquey side of the spectrum.

Josh
Old 01-19-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

I would also like to get some info on these motors since they will be included in our National Cup this spring.

How do they compare?
How is the brush wear?
Any tuning tips aside the usual stock motor “tricks”?
Indoors vs. outdoors?

Any thoughts on changes in driving style from stock class racing to get the most out of these motors?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

For the most part '19 turn' spec motors respond to the same types of things that a stock motor will. Triming the width of the laydown brush is one thing that tends to help on both 19 turn spec motors and stock motors.

Personaly I feel triming only the trailing edge of the brush is better then triming both sides of the brush (ala Big Jim's MVP type brush)... Try removing .015" from the trailing edge only, I suspect you'll like this. From what I've seen triming more then .015" total from the width of a brush generaly hurts proformance more then it helps, so if you trim both sides, try just removing .007" or so from each side.

Try it on a MVP or any stock motor... it generaly helps any motor with laydown brushes.

For 19 turn... Red green springs may be a bit on the soft side... might want to try a purple red combo insted...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default REEDY 19 QUAD

anybody have any tricks for the reedy 19t quad?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

is ROAR changing the rules and will only allow foam tires exclusively in the 19T class?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Reedy 19T

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=31201
Old 01-19-2004, 09:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Re: REEDY 19 QUAD

Originally posted by howard hudson
anybody have any tricks for the reedy 19t quad?
PM Dan. He pulled some tricks on Jon Kerr's Reedy yesterday, and Jon said he loved it in the main.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

I just aligned the brush hoods on my Element, and I have to say you don't really need an alignment bar. I custom made one, and didn't even use it. A word of advice: don't buy the Trinity spring post tool. I got mine in the mail the other day, and the hex isn't centered in the head, I measured from the vertex of one side of the hex to the ouside of the head on two sides, it was .75mm on one side and 1.1mm on the other. This causes the tool to rub against the heatsink when unscrewing and screwing in the spring post, which caused me to strip one of the holes on my Kr, because it is hard to tell when it is tight if it's rubbing against the heatsink. Wiha sells a 4.5mm nut driver, and I plan on getting one of those. I've used Wiha tools in the past and they are top notch, the nut drivers are also only $6, a big plus.

I also put those cut down brushes in the motor, and I plan to set up the dyno tonight.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

I had pretty good luck with Trinity 4500 brushes on a Reedy Quad 19 turn 'spec' motor.

Make sure you take the time to get the brushes seated well, those Reedy Quads have a oversized commutator and doesn't match the radius of most brushes very well.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Howie, PM Me. I'll tell ya what he did.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

FYI

ROAR has put up a PDF version of their 2004 rules...

http://www.roarracing.com/rules/pdfs/2004rules.pdf

Of note related to this topic, ROAR now has a new class of motors they call 'REBUILDABLE 19T “Super Stock” MOTORS (for all electric except Oval Classes)'

Basicly these rules are pretty close to what people have called 19T 'spec' motors. One interesting thing is... They specificly state only two magnets per can. So those new Reedy Quads and the Binary2 Outlaw 'Spec' motors won't be legal.

Most of you probably don't care since your Road Course racers... but there is a seperate class of "19T Modified Class Rules (Oval Racing only)" that are basicly any aproved modified motor(even those with more then 2 magnets), limted to 19 turns of 19 gauge wire, 36 degreee max timing (adjustable), with any type of brush (laydown, stand up, P94, round, etc...) Most interesting thing about this really is that Oval racers have thier own set of rules for 19 turn.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Just looking for more opinions...

Reedy QuadMag 19T
Trinity C2
Trinity Arcornite
Epic 19T Outlaw

Just wondering what people thought the fastest/best 19T is for a medium or medium to large size track.

Do the Arcornite and EPIC have a noticable difference with the adjustable timing compared to the fixed timing 19s?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Reedy 19 Quad: My overall favorite. With a little tuning, can get some good power and torque out of it.

I've had some trouble with the C2. Four of them have been dud's and two of them, the mags loosened and jammed the arm. I haven't run the other one's yet.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default 19T Reedy Quad

We are using the new reedy quad 19T as a handout spec mod for six cell touring car. We turn the motors in at the end of race day. I read an earlier post that stated this was an rpm based motor. Nope. To make this motor perform you need to gear with a roll-out close to 1.17. That's several teeth higher than stock. I race locally and in some fast company with several top class drivers. This motor you have to gear up or you'll get whooped on. This motor eats brushes and comms for breakfast. Two runs on a set of brushes and the comm needs truing every run. Reedy 767's and tweaked red springs. Of course you can get more runs on brushes and comm's than 1 or 2 but if your gonna race it for A-main competition that's what you have to do for it. Gearing it up REALLY wakes this motor up.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Alot of guys like the Kisbey 19's or the Trinity's. though, from what i have seen, the reedy quad mag 19t is rip'n.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.