Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How do you plug this ps into a wall socket? >

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=2563&rd=1

I need a charger but might go the seperate supply, charger route this time around. I heard these supplies were great for the money but i don't see how they plug into a wall socket...
Old 10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

These things are NOT COOL. You need to wire in your own plug under the gold screws you see there. HOWEVER you then have 110v (or 240v in my country) sitting awfully close together where screwdrivers can short them (trust me I KNOW).

If you get one make sure you tape it up plenty good!
Old 10-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

yah i figured i'd have to hack apart a plug to make it work. Think i'll pass...
Old 10-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Actually, I just ordered one of those, should be in sometime next week I'm guessing. I'd say if you're careful with the way you wire it up, shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you don't use wire that'll be sticking way past the screw down terminals.
These terminals are the way most car audio stuff is wired up, and you can use spade connectors to further reduce the possibility of a short across them. If you're really concerned about making contact across them, I'm sure you could fashion a piece of lexan to go over the top of all the terminals to protect them from being shorted.

-Matt
Old 10-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Regional Moderator

thats totally wrong dude, those things beats any of the 100 bucks 10 times over priced power supply out there... shoving that thing into the wall is as easy as ever! just go to walmart or whatever..spend a buck 50 on a 6 feet extension cord, cut up one end, split it, put some solder on it and screw it down pretty tightly on the input side, as for other side, you could simply chop off the plugs on your charger, and shove it into the screws and tighten them down! no need to worry about shorting out and stuff! its as easy as that! i wouldnt go wasting 100 bucks on a charger thats just as good or less powerful than ones with you pay a fraction for! think about it..an intergy 14 amp powersupply is what...150 bucks? and you could get the same power supply with 13+ amps of output at only 20 bucks think about it!

ill post up pictures of how easy it is to hook up later
Old 10-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Well maybe i'll reconsider. Pics would be excellent. Oh and I used to live in Buffalo... went to rochester all the time to see bands at The Penny Arcade.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One of my LHS is selling a Hobbico power supply that looks suspiciously like these for $115 Cdn. What they've done is installed the wires and then put silicone sealant over the screw terminals so that you can't accidentally short it out...

I was thinking of picking one of these up, but now I'm kind of leaning towards something with a bit more power. I'm looking at needing to operate 2 chargers, one of them doing motor run-in...

Then again..for under $20....I'd be able to sell it for a profit at my local track when I did outgrow it
Old 10-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Regional Moderator

this is how i hooked up to my power supply, i made the connectors myself, using the college's resources as much as possible.

as for the powersupply, you cant get it anywhere in the states, i brought it back from hong kong. it needs a transformer for it to work...
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-pa242636.jpg  
Old 10-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default Power Suppy

Guys;

That is an Industrial Power Supply. All of the terminals should be labeled.

Make sure you carefully read the specifications so you know EXACTLY what you are getting.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

I just got one of those exact power supplies off Ebay. I took a standard AC power cord, cut off one end, and spliced the wires. There is NO polarity that needs to be observed on the AC side. Just don't touch those terminals when its plugged in. I tested it out by running two chargers on it both at 6amps charge. The voltage stayed above 14 volts. These little guys have some POWER!!! If you have half a brain you can wire this thing up (to AC).

My only question is what the V+S+ and V-S- terminal is for. I connected the chargers to these terminals, and they had power. I suspect its a "Signal" terminal like if you wanted to hook up a volt meter, but I am not sure.

Anybody have any ideas?

For $20 bucks, these power supplies are AWESOME!!! Also, you can run them in Parralell if you need more amps, say for a Dyno... Or if you wanted to run some car audio equipment off them. Heck, you can even use it to charge your car battery(real car) SLA battery.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

i have one of those..i cut off the terminals and solder the AC cord inside to be safe....it works great...put two chargers charging at 6 amps and it didn't short....i only charge at 5 amps so i'm thinking of hooking up three chargers...i dunno if it will short but i think it can handle up to 15 amps w/o shorting out...but this things works great for under 20...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Here's my way to hook up these little workhorses. I have used mine for over 9 months, 5 of those were off of a generator.

The black and red deals are banana plug recepticles. A little lexan covers it all.

Sorry the pic's blurry I only have an old PC camera.
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-power2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

So that's where they come from, generators. Ebay is flooded with them. What kind of generators are they?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

They didn't come out of generators, I ran mine off of generator power at our parking lot track. Sorry for the confusion.

The other side.
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-power1.jpg  
Old 10-24-2003, 07:25 PM
BG
Tech Addict

I think they are a great little solid state power supply, for the budget conscious. But to use one in a safe state you must house the ps in a solid but vented kit container that has a fusable link. Those ps can be very dangerous if not properly contained.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.