Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Shaft Drive or Belt Drive? >

Shaft Drive or Belt Drive?

View Poll Results: If you would like to buy a new kit,which type you prefer?Shaft Drive or Belt Drive?
Shaft Drive(such as NTC3;FW05R;LD3/CD3...etc.)
50.70%
Belt Drive(such as 710R;V-one-series;MTX3;G4...etc.)
50.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Shaft Drive or Belt Drive?

Old 05-23-2004, 09:36 PM
sup
Tech Addict

Originally posted by dino.tw
Have you check the front and rear downstop setting? also the rear toe-in or maybe L/R ride high?
The easiest way is setting from your TX. My TX never setting the same value on L/R balance since the streering servo lay sown. It is hard to let the rod and arm keep right angle.
i keep everything in left=right format. less hassle in tuning/tweaking. as of now, i adjust to the car. it makes things less complicated. this is just my opinion though. thanks too for the tips though, i might try those when i have the time to try them out.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by sup
i keep everything in left=right format. less hassle in tuning/tweaking. as of now, i adjust to the car. it makes things less complicated. this is just my opinion though. thanks too for the tips though, i might try those when i have the time to try them out.

left=right format is not always the best to every track. Those awesome racers always have different L/R camber or even use different hardness tyres on L/R side. If your car runs fine at the track,forget the numbers.....
Old 05-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Nitro Tech

I have another question now....

Many nice guys told me that a shaft car needs different driving style...or It just different on driving styles....

Well,What driving style/skill is a shaft car's racer should have?

By the way,can't wait to get my 05R Thanks Manticore for your gift......
Old 05-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Dino,

I am very interested at the FW05R too but I am not sure if this is the right car for me? How did you manage to get that Manticore to send you one? I want one from him too. Please share your experience.

Thanks,

N
Old 05-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by NetBike
Hi Dino,

I am very interested at the FW05R too but I am not sure if this is the right car for me? How did you manage to get that Manticore to send you one? I want one from him too. Please share your experience.

Thanks,

N
I don't know if it is a right car or not,too. I haven't got the package...can't wait.....

About how to manage for getting that from Manticore,there are many ways....
1)To be his child you can get many free gifts that is what I'm very sure.(100% successful probability)
2) Hold some secrets of him to extort him.(60% successful probability)
3)To be his friend and call him honey every day.(sorry only 20% successful probability)

the last way is.....pay him.....
Old 05-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Nitro Tech

What driving style/skill is a shaft car's racer should have?
Back to the topic....Anyone please....
Old 05-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

IMO both cars have it advantages and disadvantages but in the end it all evens out and it comes down to the driver.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yes with a shaft car, I need to brake harder to go into the turns otherwise I will overshoot the turns. For belt, I will just pump the throttle and jab the brakes lightly. Have to be a bit more discipline when driving shaft. Otherwise either one will do, no preference.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Nitro Tech

Default What driving style/skill is a shaft car's racer should have?

No more additional remark?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KevinS
You yourself admitted you are a n00b in the 710 thread and n00bs tend to break cars that are too fast for them. I'll take that MTX-3 off your hands for $50 when you're done with it.

Go get yourself a Nikko or Tyco.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Originally posted by KevinS
You yourself admitted you are a n00b in the 710 thread and n00bs tend to break cars that are too fast for them. I'll take that MTX-3 off your hands for $50 when you're done with it.

Go get yourself a Nikko or Tyco.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: What driving style/skill is a shaft car's racer should have?

No more additional remark?

I think its a difficult issue to discuss because it depends on your point of reference. It depends on which type of car you've started with in Nitro. It depends on what the differences are that one is referring to. It also depends on one's style of driving/racing.

I started with a beinnger's car and it was shaft driven, not really a race-worthy car (or not allowed in most races). This was the Kyosho FW04 SuperTen. I only used it for a month and then changed over to an Impulse Streetspec.

I also bought an Impulse ProSpec when it came out and at the same time, out of curiosity, got myself an NTC3 (I like trying cars out ).

What I personally observed is that going from the FW04 (shaft but only 1 month driving it) to the Impulse Streetspec (belt) was not a big deal ... I was a complete nitro beginner although I was driving electrics for about 3 years before this.

About a year later, trying out the NTC3 surprised me in terms of how different it feels. To clock roughly similar times I can get on the belt cars on a flowing track, I found that I needed to coast round corners more. Obviously because of the smooth drive-train the coasting is faster than what my eyes were telling me! The NTC3 was very easy to drive and planted but I certainly found it different.

Remember, this is based on the fact that I actually properly started nitro racing on belt cars. I never tried the LD3 nor the FW05 so I can't comment.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Default YOU and CAR as ONE

actually frankly speaking,

i am comfortable with shaft... that is why i dont know what to say what kind of skill you have to have to drive a shaft. If you get used to it... means YOU GET USED TO IT.....

i am used to shaft... then i am comfortable with it. As long as i can control and PREDICT what the car will do when i do this or that... then its OKAY...

the most important thing is YOU AND YOUR CAR become as ONE.

u know what i mean?

i hope so.

as i said.... before... the only thing i (a bit... a bit only) dislike about belt is the PUNCH when you want to accelerate from still.... it has a slower respond... maybe it my setting or something... but HEY .... that is my personal opinion... i could be wrong man due to the wrong setting i have. and maybe from here somebody will tell me how to rectify the SLOWER PUNCH for my belt car. which i do hope somebody will tell me.

mop
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: YOU and CAR as ONE

Originally posted by mop_iko
actually frankly speaking,

i am comfortable with shaft... that is why i dont know what to say what kind of skill you have to have to drive a shaft. If you get used to it... means YOU GET USED TO IT.....

i am used to shaft... then i am comfortable with it. As long as i can control and PREDICT what the car will do when i do this or that... then its OKAY...

the most important thing is YOU AND YOUR CAR become as ONE.

u know what i mean?

i hope so.
Yeap, know what you mean ...

as i said.... before... the only thing i (a bit... a bit only) dislike about belt is the PUNCH when you want to accelerate from still.... it has a slower respond... maybe it my setting or something... but HEY .... that is my personal opinion... i could be wrong man due to the wrong setting i have. and maybe from here somebody will tell me how to rectify the SLOWER PUNCH for my belt car. which i do hope somebody will tell me.

mop
Yeap you said it .. personal opinion ... maybe setting ... maybe not 'cos you might be right. But then again, why do all the Hot-rod cars and 1:8th use belts I wonder?

Maybe you can ask those hot-rod guys how they set them. I saw a rc hot-rod demo last weekend and the punch is something else. Definitely un-raceable ... only good for drag race.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Default HOT ROD MODs.

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I saw a rc hot-rod demo last weekend and the punch is something else. Definitely un-raceable ... only good for drag race.
SOW.... can you share the HOT ROD car ? what kind of MODS they do... if you did take photo of them.... i would love to see and post them in the other thread.... EXTREME MODIFICATION OF YOUR RC CARS.... it gonna be quite interesting.

can post the pics? the car NAKED.... and with SHIRT.

mop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.