Wiki Posts
Search

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
were the 2 lipos you saw flame up cased? kokam?
both were soft cases - i have yet to see any problems with hard cased Lipo's
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Last saturday we had a 4 cell pack of EP4200 let go while they were being charged at the track. They didn't blow but were venting hard... Probably close to popping.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

^^^ MK3's ??
Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Man, that is some scary stuff. I'm glad you're healing up and hope you'll be okay! I've never seen a pack do it while assembling. That's nuts.

An experienced racer at our club had his EP4200s blow up once. I been racing for almost 5 years and had an IB4200 blow a couple months ago. I never had this kind of issue with my GPs or IPs. They never got that hot. I think I may drop my charging current down to 5amps too. You also should be dropping the delta peak down to .3 or less per cell. This will keep the heat down.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the other week down at my local, a pack that were 3 charges old started venting hard while on charge. another racer disconected the charger and everyone in the pits scattered. 20 secs later and......... BANG!!!!
blew the top right out of it. charging at 6 amps. that same week i bought a pack of the same brand and 3 charges old ill be taking it back 2morrow for a dead cell.
wish they would just legalize lipo here down under
Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Over the last year I have purchased 20 packs of the EP4200 and 2 IB3800. On both the IB packs they vented about a month or so of running. I have not had any issues with the EP's other then when I shorted a pack doing a bone headed thing. I have packs with over 80 charges on them that i still use and abuse and they have been flawless. I think the matcher I get my cells from uses a different process that is easier on the cell but don't quote me on that.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

wow! scary stuff, batteries blowing up in your face go nitro mate! only need to worry about one small receiver pack just joking....electrics all good.
I remember running electric I had purchased my first IB4200 orion packs, after the first charge I noticed a dead cell in each pack so replaced them straight away since noticing they became extremely hot compared to the other cells when coming to near peak.
I had never encounted a pack/cell blowing up but have heard stories from local clubs of people blowing them up! I must've been doing something good as never really had to many troubles with my IB packs.

The battery technology is rapidly moving with all these new larger capacity cells but when will it stop? I wonder what new larger capacities they will get upto for nitro receiver packs in the next few years

BTW are you guys using fans or some device to cool your batteries when charging? I used a battery cooler made by trinity which worked well.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rc_Boy89
go nitro mate!.
In fact I am going nitro, sort of. I'm gonna be buying a Revo real soon. It will be my first nitro. I will however stay with electric TC as the majority of my R/C hobby.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

wow! scary stuff, batteries blowing up in your face go nitro mate! only need to worry about one small receiver pack just joking....electrics all good.
I remember running electric I had purchased my first IB4200 orion packs, after the first charge I noticed a dead cell in each pack so replaced them straight away since noticing they became extremely hot compared to the other cells when coming to near peak.
I had never encounted a pack/cell blowing up but have heard stories from local clubs of people blowing them up! I must've been doing something good as never really had to many troubles with my IB packs.

The battery technology is rapidly moving with all these new larger capacity cells but when will it stop? I wonder what new larger capacities they will get upto for nitro receiver packs in the next few years

BTW are you guys using fans or some device to cool your batteries when charging? I used a battery cooler made by trinity which worked well.
Honestly, i wonder to buy Mugen or Kyosho GPTC, but here's a little people around me to join them.
How could i go to nitro if can't find people to teach to setup and to find the parts for the car.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 AM
Tech Champion

Cooling cells when charging (imho) is a NO NO. It changes the way the cells charge and peak. The cells will keep pulling charge and the charger will not know the correct time to finish charging....

Its only a matter of time before something bad happens....
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

why are you guys charging at 6A, these cells just can't take that work load, reduce your charge current for starters.

and never ever cool cells during charge, all you do is cool the case, giving a false indication of the important temp, that of the internals, it is always best to know EXACTLY how hot your cells are getting.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i charge ib's at 9amps...

sometimes 7....if im in a hurry 10...

had 1 vent, was runnin offroad charging at 5amps...it was a little chilly outside...pack is still being used to this day
Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
i charge ib's at 9amps...

sometimes 7....if im in a hurry 10...

had 1 vent, was runnin offroad charging at 5amps...it was a little chilly outside...pack is still being used to this day
That is just irrisponsible.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Charging at 6 amps is fine. Most matched cells are cycles at 6 amps to begin with. You really just need to watch your peak detection settings.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Charging at 6 amps is fine. Most matched cells are cycles at 6 amps to begin with. You really just need to watch your peak detection settings.
most charge at 6A cause that is what they are used to, but really 5A is ample.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.