Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Can any of you tell me if you can run 30 percent fuel with the Mega zx-12 stock head shimming
Old 07-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

The problem you are having is actually happening in many deritivies of NR engines. Personally I am tried of this and switiched to 35 plus based engines and they are ok for now. send me a pm if necessary

Originally Posted by M7H
I also took the engine apart tonight, to check the conditions (checked for schratches because of the lost airfilter during the crash) luckily there is no damage done.

It looks like the piston/liner is about the same as the DSI, there is a small change in the angle of the rounding on the bottom of the liner, and the pinch looks to be a little more.....
Didn't really see difference in the crankcase....
The conrod is a bit different, overall it has more material everywhere........
And offcourse the coolinghead is different.....
Even though these engines internally don't look like the high modded expensive engines (like my MAX MF) the performance is really great.

Also my MAX blown out the 2 "separations" in the exhaustports, with small damage to the piston, and this after about 5 liter of fuel. It still runs great, but for how long?......
Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SnakeEyz
Can any of you tell me if you can run 30 percent fuel with the Mega zx-12 stock head shimming

Depending on the gas and glow, you should be looking for .55 to .65 if new.

Right now I have .60
Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kendall
I had the same thing happen. I completely took the carb off the case. Then I took the carb apart and filed the idle slot to make it just a little bit wider. I also filed a bit around the low end side and used an X-acto blade to scrape the sharp edges. I cleaned all the parts after filing and put it back together. The carb worked much smoother. No issues with the carb since then.

I got smart after the jamming/binding happened the second time. Now I just use the same carb on each ZX-21 I use and this works well.

Where are the DSII's in the USA?

Thanks for the info... i'll try it out
Old 07-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
I also took the engine apart tonight, to check the conditions (checked for schratches because of the lost airfilter during the crash) luckily there is no damage done.

It looks like the piston/liner is about the same as the DSI, there is a small change in the angle of the rounding on the bottom of the liner, and the pinch looks to be a little more.....
Didn't really see difference in the crankcase....
The conrod is a bit different, overall it has more material everywhere........
And offcourse the coolinghead is different.....
Even though these engines internally don't look like the high modded expensive engines (like my MAX MF) the performance is really great.

Also my MAX blown out the 2 "separations" in the exhaustports, with small damage to the piston, and this after about 5 liter of fuel. It still runs great, but for how long?......

Now here is the real question you might want to try.... Does the conrod from your DSII fit on the crankshaft of your DSI?

From Mytsn.com it looks like the crankshaft on the DSII is different where the conrod is placed, hence the "biggest" change is the crankshaft is now all one piece on the DSII, where the DSI had the pin for the conrod pressed into the crankshaft itself.

Thanks to Paolo's close up pics on the DSII crankshaft, it is made much smoother on both ends of the crankshaft (the rod side and carburetor side). Noting this change I suspect the DSII produces more revs than the DSI, simply by improvements to the crankshaft.

I also checked out your laptimes, pretty good indeed.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

i have a sx-21(ds-1) which i broke in using 30% white lightning. due to availability problems i switched to odonnell 30% and at the same time changed pipes from an rb 9886 to the pipe that comes with the motor.during break in eveything went fine. no flame outs or tuning issues at all. when i went to the new fuel, i popped two plugs within one tank and had to richen the top end about a half turn. when i finally got it tuned where it would run about 220 and keep up with the other cars, i thought i had it fixed. the car would flame out coming out of corners. it was not hot or cold but i couldn't keep it running. it ran great on the straight but would die after a turn. a friend who knows motors told me i should add a shim because the motor has too much compression. how thick of a shim or how many should i put in the motor? by the way it was about 92 degrees and i was using a number 7 mega plug.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Post Need help!

Hi guys,

I got some problems with my ZX12, I guess i fried it, and need some help. Detailed pics and info is here, I would be glad of any help. Thanks.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=660
Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

with a new piston/sleeve and conrod it will be o.k. You must clean the crank and check the bearing, etc. You can use a buffing pad to clean it.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sedanaddict
i have a sx-21(ds-1) which i broke in using 30% white lightning. due to availability problems i switched to odonnell 30% and at the same time changed pipes from an rb 9886 to the pipe that comes with the motor.during break in eveything went fine. no flame outs or tuning issues at all. when i went to the new fuel, i popped two plugs within one tank and had to richen the top end about a half turn. when i finally got it tuned where it would run about 220 and keep up with the other cars, i thought i had it fixed. the car would flame out coming out of corners. it was not hot or cold but i couldn't keep it running. it ran great on the straight but would die after a turn. a friend who knows motors told me i should add a shim because the motor has too much compression. how thick of a shim or how many should i put in the motor? by the way it was about 92 degrees and i was using a number 7 mega plug.

Try making your fuel tubing longer and/or adding a pressure chamber on your pressure line (from the tank to the pipe). Sounds like your engine is running out of fuel after a long straight. Once you lengthen the fuel line with a pressure chamber this should make your engine run much richer, then tune it back a bit leaner for consistent performance. Try the shims as a second step. Too much compression should not stop just your engine.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The DSII rod won't work in the DSI. The wrist pin on the DSII is smaller than the DSI. Crank pin I think is the same not for sure. I used the DSII p/s and rod with the DSI crank but it wasn't quite right. Maybe the stroke is different but all I know is the motor never really woke up. Can anyone confirm?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,

I got some problems with my ZX12, I guess i fried it, and need some help. Detailed pics and info is here, I would be glad of any help. Thanks.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=660
check bearings, when my bearings went when i was running one it made temperature skyrocket and i was scratching my head for a while checking for air leaks, carb o-rings etc... and it was a litre after i put a new p/l rod in it too :/. i have since put new bearings in and havent ran it since...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does anyone know what is the stock needle setting for the ZX-15 (not 12) engine...? Need to redo the whole setting for the 835 for the upcoming Chicago Mid West Series........thanks guys.
If using on 835 running Centax 2 clutch, do I need to place the 0.5mm shim before the collet? Am I suppose to use the black MEGA collet or the gold colored one from Nova Rossi type? Thanks again...

P.S...Zx15 needle setting same as Zx12?

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 07-18-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Does anyone know if any of the mega.21 engine parts interchange with the picco G1 on road series?(G1, G1 PRO, G1 xp) Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
Does anyone know if any of the mega.21 engine parts interchange with the picco G1 on road series?(G1, G1 PRO, G1 xp) Thanks

Not sure about DSII Mega, but the prevous MEGA Zx21, the P/S conrod are interchangable...may be the crankshaft too...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know what the pros and cons are to running the Novarossi carb on the ZX-12 I ve seen this in pictures of people cars and was wondering if the engine performed better this way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.