Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are my 2.4G conversion options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default What are my 2.4G conversion options?

Hi all,
I am only new at this so please bear with me. I have just purchased a 2nd hand RC8 RS and of course now I am wanting to update a few things on a limited budget, rx being priority.
My question is is what are my options as far as moding my XP3D 27mg rx/tx system to 2.4G. (I would love a Spektrum but budget won't go there.)
I have seen a couple of cheap options from Corona and Assan and am wondering if anyone has proven their reliability with any success, if so what model would I need from either of these brands for my existing system.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm using a XP3D with a spektum module. Got it for ~$40 on eBay. I'm not familiar with the brands you mentioned, but if it is made for Futaba it should work (though the module will mount upside down in the XP3D).
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Wozthefitter,

ok, heres how it works, i would suggest that you do some research first before buying some DIY kit , from the result you will get some understanding on whats the fuzz is all about. all the knowledge you have will help you decide if the benefit will out weight the risk involved.

There are some threads here which we used as our reference but its not enough , try googling more, based from my experience of the three ( Corono, Assan, Frisky) Frisky is better coz it has a fail safe options, uses better 2.4 signal (Faster frequency Hopping) as compared to the two other, BUTTTTTTT..... has a problem with their one way DIY module ( V8HT model) it is prone to Servo Glitch (some analog Servos), but this was address by the newer module, the two way telemetry DIY module. This DIY has a selection to change the speed/freq of the servo in which the one way did not have.

my knowledge was just based from the searches and experience on Frsky one way module that i have and is not in anyway applicable to all, so should you decide to buy your own diy kit (one way), do not say that i did not warn you.

I think it would be best if you wait for the two way DIY from FrSky coz "i think" this is far more better than its predecessor.

i've been doing some conversion with the help of snoopyrc, and below are the threads.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...nversions.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...os-2-4ghz.html

This site is great!!!

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/forum/...285d948738fb52

check the reviews from this site.... it will help you decide.

goodluck.

edit: it is experienced in Old KO ( EX-II and EX- 5), if you tap the Positive Voltage directly to the source ( on/off switch) that the DIY will work, but if you try to intercept the Power from the board directly , the diy will not work (some issue on the regulator or something), so what i found out that when the voltage is above 12 V ( lipo 3s Used), the servo jitter/ glitches goes away. as i always say, this does not always holds true for all other TX.

Last edited by slow_jun; 04-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the help slow jun and Vmax.
After spending a few hrs. looking around and doing some homework i am going to pack away the XP3 for now and try the 2.4 HK310tx + rx which is at Hobbyking Aus. at $31, I figure it must be better than what i have and for the price sounds ok.
If it's no good i will look around for Spektrum module for XP3 at a later date.
Again thanks for your help
Woz