Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert Stick Packs to Side-by-sides?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Convert Stick Packs to Side-by-sides?

Is there any reason why I can't take apart my existing stick packs and rebuild them as side-by-sides? At least then I could balance some of my cheaper packs and get a little bit more out of them. I also have a couple of Intellect packs I would like to try this on too.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been TOLD that you can do it, but I personally have never done it. and I personally don't know of anyone that has done it.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

YES, you can do it, it's very easy. In fact I would recommend it, being able to equalize the pack will increase performance and the longevity of the pack.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default good to hear

Excellent I'll give it a crack this weekend!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Can you post the picture after you done with it change from stick to side by side?

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

You will probably have to pull the cells apart, they are typically lightly welded. Just be carefull if ya get the urge to use a pry tool, you don't want to short across a button head and the outer case of a cell. Just stay calm and be careful, you can do it.

Be sure and have a got hot soldering iron as you build them back up as side by sides. A good hot iron will allow quick soldering, actually putting less heat into the cells.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

I had cardboard wrapped cells in my budget stick packs. The shop that did the work used individual shrink wraps to cover each cell before assembly. They did it for 2 reasons... first to protect the cell, and to cut down the possibility for the bar to short on the edges of the cell. It only cost me 4 bucks for each rebuild. Well worth the $$.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation Caution

While your idea is a good one you need to proceed with caution.

The cells are usually joined by metal strips that are spot welded to the cell. Do not attempt to remove the strip. By doing so you risk ripping a hole in the cell which will damage the cell's operation. It is best to cut the metal strips and rejoin cells via the this strip.

It is NOT recommended to solder directly on the cell as the heat can cause damage to the internals. If you have access to a commercial battery repacker then I suggest you take your sorted cells there and have them joined via welded metal strips. These guys repack battery packs for all sorts of things like cordless drills, laptops etc. So they have the right gear to make the best joins.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Adept

It is perfectly okay to solder cells, just use a very hot soldering iron to make sure you make a quick solder joint (3 seconds max.), any longer and you risk damaging the cells.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I've done it to countless stick packs. Cut them open, pull them apart Leaving the end two wires with the leads on) Place these two cells at either end of the battery jig. Put the rest of the cells in with alternating terminals and resolder with battery bars. Easy, never damaged, and have run for ages.

Definately recommend doing it if for no other reason than being able to equalise and discharge individual cells.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

to remove the spot welded tabs, hold them near the weld with a pair of long nosed pliers and twist away, and they should pop off leaving 4 little spots of metal that can be dremelled off.