Old 12-15-2003, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Novarossi engines thread

Discuss Nova engines here.

www.novarossi.it
Old 12-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Corse-R,

What's the news with the new nova RR12 and your test sessions?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

I am interested at the RR12L5. has it been released and any test result about this engine?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default RR12 LongStroke ??

Had anyone knows, why this engine called Long Stroke ?
Coz if I check in mugen site, boreXstroke dimension is almost the same with NS.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:59 PM
afm
Tech Master

Goldfinger
You said it, "almost" is not the same:
NS is 13.80x14.00mm
RR is 13.70x 14.25mm
So RR has a longer stroke (.25mm longer) , which means that port timings must be different to enhance torque, etc. It is the first true long stroke Nova .12 engine, which isnot the same as the old Nova-Mugen MT12 which was a long conrod engine but with same stroke as the rest of Nova based engines.
AFM
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by afm
Goldfinger
You said it, "almost" is not the same:
NS is 13.80x14.00mm
RR is 13.70x 14.25mm
So RR has a longer stroke (.25mm longer) , which means that port timings must be different to enhance torque, etc. It is the first true long stroke Nova .12 engine, which isnot the same as the old Nova-Mugen MT12 which was a long conrod engine but with same stroke as the rest of Nova based engines.
AFM
Wow..! thank you for make me clear.
Im no engine expert here. I just dont think that fraction would make any difference, but for sure the novarossi designer is definetely better than me.
But.. we were talking about 3.158x2 deg timing difference here, comparing to current NS.
Most of engine tuner nowaday is open as much as 20-25 deg(.12 engine) crank timing!!
AFM please correct me if im wrong.
And for what purpose do you think that novarossi produce this?
Is it purely for Mugen orders?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:36 AM
afm
Tech Master

Hey Goldfinger
Haven't seen one phisically yet, but you might want to refer to the forum subject "engine war threads" pages 14 and 15, there was a good discussion about this engines design.
Now about real track experience I read somewhere in this forum that the engine is a real killer in small technical tracks, with ballistic torque and acceleration. I know for sure it won the Japanese National Championship with official Team Mugen .
So my guess is that it was designed for small tight tracks, which I think is what Japan has the most. Good thing though, because when it is available worldwide I will definetely get one of those to race on our short tracks.
AFM
Old 12-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

i bought one already. dont have a car yet so cant tell you anything about performance. one thing to note is that it does have a different case than its short stroke brothers. also the heatsink head for the engine is a 9 fin, not an 11 fin like the one pictured in mugen's website.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by icon
i bought one already. dont have a car yet so cant tell you anything about performance. one thing to note is that it does have a different case than its short stroke brothers. also the heatsink head for the engine is a 9 fin, not an 11 fin like the one pictured in mugen's website.
Just some warning about the 'small' heatsink of the NSR and RR models. THEY NEED IT.

Because the different composition of the piston, he likes to go hotter than previously and works fine hotter, thus why is he uses the smaller cooling head. So don't change it. He loves to go at 140 - 150ºC as I did on one of mine usually.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 1/8 engines on road

hi would like to find out just how many nova 1/8 enginesversions are there? and whats so special about them?

JP nova
JP rex nova
nova max
Nova mario rossi
Nova hkm
Mega nova
nova r1

are there more?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by afm
Hey Goldfinger
Haven't seen one phisically yet, but you might want to refer to the forum subject "engine war threads" pages 14 and 15, there was a good discussion about this engines design.
Now about real track experience I read somewhere in this forum that the engine is a real killer in small technical tracks, with ballistic torque and acceleration. I know for sure it won the Japanese National Championship with official Team Mugen .
So my guess is that it was designed for small tight tracks, which I think is what Japan has the most. Good thing though, because when it is available worldwide I will definetely get one of those to race on our short tracks.
AFM
Thank you, I will check the forum.

Totally agree about killer bottom end.
More intake opening(longer stroke) with proper combination of porting indeed would makes powerfull explosion.
But thats not what the longer stroke designed to be.
Killer bottom end, just watch MAX and NSR, very powerfull in bottom but they lack of fuel mileage.
What I want to see is this "longer stroke" could overcome that problem.

Cant wait till I had one. It would be my pleasure if you had a chance to share your knowledge and experience tuning this engine. Tq.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Corse-R
Just some warning about the 'small' heatsink of the NSR and RR models. THEY NEED IT.

Because the different composition of the piston, he likes to go hotter than previously and works fine hotter, thus why is he uses the smaller cooling head. So don't change it. He loves to go at 140 - 150ºC as I did on one of mine usually.
You certainly a master in engine..
I do noticed that the engine is working very nice in high temp, usually I run it on 120 deg.C
Idle is fine and hot restart is no problem.
Thank you to confirms that.

What do you think about its longer spray bar? since it sit right in the middle of venturi, far as I know this spot is where the lowest vacuum present.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Default rs12s5 w/ mt12 crankshaft

a few weeks back i posted if this is possible. well, based on my experiment i would say that mt12 crankshaft perfectly fit in rs12s5 engine. however, these are my findings so far:

starting - no problem
power - the same
torque - almost the same
top speed - almost the same but haven't tried using a temp gun
engine temp - always over heats, though i rich the top needle
plug - using nova turbo no 6

idling - BIG problem! When engine still cold no problem it idles well. but once you i run in the race track after a few laps estimately when i reach half tank, the moment i slowed down and stop the car the engine stalls without hesitation. i tried riching the top end needle several times but the engine still stalls.

it could be in the idle stop screw and low speed needle adjustment........hhhhmmmm.......any thoughts guys???

Last edited by thefuzzclub; 12-16-2003 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: rs12s5 w/ mt12 crankshaft

Have you checked your clutch? Perhaps the clutch shoes are touching the clutchbell when you brake or slow down.

Else, have you tried changing plugs? A colder 7 plug perhaps? What % of nitro are you using?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: rs12s5 w/ mt12 crankshaft

Originally posted by InitialD
Have you checked your clutch? Perhaps the clutch shoes are touching the clutchbell when you brake or slow down.

Else, have you tried changing plugs? A colder 7 plug perhaps? What % of nitro are you using?
InitialD,
The clutch is fine, no problem. Cold plug? could be, let me also try, nitro is trinity 20%.

I have another rs12s5 engine in my ntc3 using plug 6 and 20% fuel but no problem in idling. But then again, the crankshaft is the
original one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.