Wiki Posts
Search

North West Hobby Expo Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default North West Hobby Expo Appreciation Thread

I want to thank Debbie for helping to set up this weekends track and display at the North West Hobby Expo this past weekend. A great time was had by the drivers and the crowds.

For those not in the know, there was a large RCP track setup where we demo'ed and unofficially raced 1/14th and smaller vehicles. It also was setup to allow attendees to pay a small fee to try out Tamiya Tamtech cars.

I believe we were very successful and entertaining and helping to gain interest not only in R/C Cars in general, but especially the smaller scales. Especially once they saw the speeds we could obtain. More than once, I fielded questions and even interest in racing for which I shared a printout of local notable shops and tracks Debbie was kind enough to print up.

Again, I want to thank Debbie for this chance for us mini/micro people to "strut" our stuff and allowing us to share the enthusiasm for these scales. I also want to thank Tamiya for providing the Tamtechs to allow new hobbyist and possible even future racers to experience R/C. Finally, the Expo organizing gentleman* who went out and purchased a full size RCP track for this and future events, Kudos! RCP was the perfect choice to make otherwise a uninviting floor into a wonderful racetrack.

*Forgive me for not getting your name in the rush of things.

In short order of what was run (at least Saturday):

1/14th:
Sportwerks Recoil

1/16th:
Tamiya Tamtech

1/18th:
Xray M18
Xray M18T
BRP SC18V2
Trinity Itsy Bitsy Spider

1/28th:
Kyosho Mini-Z AWD
Radioshack Xmod

1/36th:
Losi Micro-T

Finally, the racers themselves: Charles, Tom, Peter, Debbie (when she was brave enough), Wes, and me. We also were the marshals for the people attempting to drive. Boy, was that a workout!

Videos!
Attendees' trying Tamtechs
Some of us running alongside Attendees (The crowd, was even larger earlier in the day)
Closing Time (Notice how easy it is to change a RCP layout)
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Brave? ME? ha, I didn't want to show all the newbies up!
I really scared them!
Anyway, thank you Drew for those kind words. It really was a great effort by everyone there.
Great videos guys. Didn't know you were doing that.
The looks on the kids while they concentrated so hard to turn those cars, and get so frustrated, but then with the coaching by Peter, Drew, or anyone else, they got comfortable.
Quite a few wanted to know where to buy and race them, so hopefully they will go to the sites listed and purchase and come out to play.

I posted my thanks on the other thread... was a little tired, to say the least last night. I did forget a few, but fixed that.
It was also so very nice for me to see people I hadn't seen in a long time.
Hopefully it will happen again next year. With all that was learned this time, next year, whoever takes over the track, (not me) will make it even better.

Oh, and Curry ran his 12th scale at the end on sunday. yes, he did! Not sure how it went but the track was fine for that size car. And if it was arranged differently, maybe even 10th, with a silver can could work.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Was a blast, Now you guys know why I love the Frog so much ;-)

and great program Debbie.

see you next year?

and sorry i couldn't stay till the end Sunday.

-peter-
Old 03-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Expo

Yes, I tried a quick run at the very end of the expo with my 1/12th and in all honesty it was horrible, but I think I know why though. I was using a speed control that I have not used in years and it was not set up properly. Every time I let off the throttle instead of coasting the speed control was applying about 15% brake, so I was spinning out badly. I think it might have run better if everything was adjusted like it should have been.

Steve