Wiki Posts
Search

What's the gt car to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default What's the gt car to buy????

I have a kyosho GT but needs some upgrades to be race ready. I'm thinking about selling it and buying either an ofna dm1 race spec roller or the new serpant cobra gt. thoughts and opinions please. I know the serpent isn't fully out yet but it looks promising. My kyosho is a solid platform I know but seems alil dated with e clip hinge pin brace etc. The dm1 iv heard good things on but I'm unsure about ofna stuff. Thanks guys
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Serpent if you want to race and spend more. Team C has a nice looking ride out too... Those are the two I would look at if I didn't already have a DM-1.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Serpent!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Serpent if you want to race and spend more. Team C has a nice looking ride out too... Those are the two I would look at if I didn't already have a DM-1.
A properly done Kyosho is more than competitive, yes outdated, but still competitive. I would check out the Serpent, although I am loving my Team C car. The DM-1's are fast proven cars.......basically what we're saying is you can't go wrong!

Last edited by C-Trickle; 05-23-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

All the cars are good in GT, I have a DM-1 that I've added almost everything available and it is a great ride. I also have a Kyosho GT2 and really like it but not as much as my DM-1. Both have a lot of extras so they are good rides. The Kyosho is a little more stable but that's to be expected since it has a longer chassis. I also have a SC8 converted to GT and I love how stable it is qand it doesn't break anything (at least not yet).

However I'm waiting on the release of the Cobra GT. It is really light and talking to the Serpent guys they will offer lots of springs, sway bar options for us racers that have to change a lot of thingsin the set up only to go back to or very near the stock set up. I haven't seen the Team C car but those that have them like them. I think that with any of the options you can't go wrong but here is my order of preference:
  1. Serpent Cobra GT
  2. OFNA DM-1 Spec
  3. Kyosho GT2
  4. Team C

Please remember that I put the Team C car in last place but only because I haven't driven one.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I agree with all the comments, but its really depends on you and your budget.
I built and raced a Hybrid HotBodies D8 cost me about $200 to convert from buggy to Gt when I first got into GT racing, then I traded my off road stuff for a bone stock Ofna DM1 Spec. Both cars had good and bad aspects, but the Ofna is a tank very durable, forgiving and a proven race car in Gt. You also cant beat the price on Ofna. There are also some nice upgrades for all the current GT cars. But as far as buy and race-"car" its the DM1 Spec. Hell the Ofna force .28 I was running is a beast.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

are you ofna guys running the front shocks standing up or layed down like it comes? i had a friend that put alot of time into a dm1 and kyosho's were still out handling him. im afraid to step into the ofna i think even tho i like it lolol. do they make a 150cc tank for the ofna?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ha! How can people recommend a car that's not even introduced yet?

Personally, I feel that the existing crop of cars are pretty equal. The faster car will result from the person that spends the time to carefully experiment with different setups, and can build a durable rig.

I would also consider ease of spare & tuning parts stock wherever your running.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

What I'm worried about with the ofna and maybe someone can clear it up for me is how the 2 speed holds up and if guys are standing the front shocks up and what it takes to do so? Again a couple of locals said you have to stand the shocks up but there not the masses.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Serpent COBRA GT is the way to go, it uses the same proven off-road platform combined with their on road knowledge into a fine GT car, can't go wrong with the Cobra GT.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner

Personally, I feel that the existing crop of cars are pretty equal. The faster car will result from the person that spends the time to carefully experiment with different setups, and can build a durable rig.

HA! Some people who are handy with the pistol grip radio have test driven the car. It rocks. Proven world class transmission, a company with world class drivers feeding them info, set ups that will work posted on line for all to see, and is it 8 or 9 1/8th I.C. World Championships. They have plenty of on road experience as well as the chassis designers years of world class competition with a shaft driven buggy based chassis.
This is NOT a company looking to figure out how to make a buck off of an out of date buggy chassis.
Get one or get run over...
Yes this is MugenDrew telling you to get a Serpent, the car is good, like a touring car but bigger...
Hell I'm still smiling thinking about driving it at Fort Myers. These things are fun!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1966ss
What I'm worried about with the ofna and maybe someone can clear it up for me is how the 2 speed holds up and if guys are standing the front shocks up and what it takes to do so? Again a couple of locals said you have to stand the shocks up but there not the masses.
Ok, the OFNA 2 speed is bullet proof, the new Kyosho is good also but IMO the OFNA is still stronger. I have the front shock up right in my DM-1. You need the front shock tower (I have the maxvelocityracing.com one but there are other brands as well). That's all you need to stand them up. There are some other things you can do to make the DM-1 even stronger.

For the tank you have some options, I use the Gt2 tank in mine but you can also use OFNAs Violator buggy tank. Both are almost direct fit.

The only thing that has to be done is to use 3 small bearings instead of only one in the clutchbell. For that you need OFNA shim kit and two extra small bearings. Use the shaft extension and shim the bell. Other than that you might want to look at aluminum suspension braces (I use one plastic and one aluminum in front and back). These are made by max velocity, King Heads and YB Slow.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner

First, have you seen the car in person? I have and it is extremely light, with many details that can make a diference in a race.

There will be lots of setup help plus a lot of tunning options that currently are not available in any other car in the class.

Like I said before right now I prefer the DM-1 over the current GT cars available. The conversions are another alternative if money is tight. When the Cobra Gt is finaly released then I can test it myself but from the performance on the track, the details, and other features you can't go wrong with it.

Then again my lap times are almost identical with any of my three GT cars so they are fairly equal, or at least in my hands they are.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Getting a Serpent race-ready will cost a grand, minimum.. And parts won't be cheap either. Sure it might be faster when all done up right, but it's a hole different price league from the others.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kyosho-steady , easy to get upgrades for. DM1- fast good contender. Serpent-enough said, it's Serpent. Team C- spendy, but good quality , Parts harder to come by. Any well built GT car will set you back $1000. Spend what you can , get what you want, and have fun racing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.